DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Hey! Hulu calls it Season 8 dammit!

Okay - we probably need a new NXT thread anyway since the other one was 121 pages. So happy accident and all that.

These will be broken out by "season" (or year like the rest of us call them).

This is for the regular TV show. Talk about Takeover in the Takeover specific thread. (And future "special shows" will be treated the same)

I wonder if Bailey isn't hitting the main roster soon. They just switched her music to something crappier and that's usually a sign.

They change music and trons seemingly every NXT special. Mojo got new music. I don't think Bailey is being called up. Sasha Banks will probably lose a Loser Leaves to Charlotte.

In that regard, it feels a bit like how WWF used to encourage guys to have new gear on big shows. I remember Summerslam 92 being fairly distinct for that, for instance. 

Has anyone ever gotten music that was a step up, though? Big E's was a huge step down. Adam Rose's music switch pretty much killed the act. Bo's is okay I guess.

Fuck, keep Bailey as far away from the main roster as possible.  She would die the worst death character wise.

I think we have discussed this before but sadly I don't think she lives up to Dunn and McMahon's standard of physical beauty. 

• Like 1

It amazes me a little that they're really creating and tapping into a Total Divas audience. That is almost unprecedented for WWE past maybe Summerslam 2000 and some of the Torrie Wilson/Dawn Marie stuff.

I think, and this is naive of me, probably, that they could have turned Emma and Bailey (and sure maybe Becky and Paige too) into idols for teenage girls, sort of like the ones they see on the Disney channel or something, who overcome bullies and fight past the odds and show that through trying hard and believing and dreaming you could accomplish your goals, and maybe paired with a couple of true to the name babyface males, they could have really tapped into something. I think the ship has sort of sailed now with the Emma and Paige debuts.

It's sort of crazy that someone like Steph didn't pick up on that. It would have been hard, but not impossible to balance the Total Divas stuff with that. Either you could have one side be sort of the Mean Girls, or just keep them mostly separate. 

• Like 1

I'm wondering what they do now with Tyson Kidd.

I don't remember anyone I came around on so quickly. I thought he was good in-ring but had no idea about the character stuff that makes watching wrestling fun. He managed to transform into this absolutely terrific jerk-off. He really figured it out -- walking with Beats headphones ON, his saying stuff like "God Bless," the constant whining and excuse-making, blaming his supportive wife, etc.

Can he get that over on Raw? He's on Total Divas so he has that exposure. I don't know if his character will work there, because part of what makes it awesome is seeing how it developed.

• Like 1

I think you are definitely on to something since it is amazing how many young girls you see tweeting Paige and Emma and Bailey and Sasha Banks and being all "Oh I wore your shirt to school today." or "I look up to you"

So yeah - if they want to keep doing the Total Diva style thing - it is better for the rest of them to stay in NXT.

I mean right now its just the women on Total Divas and then Paige vs. AJ. 

Emma probably would have been better off fired. She is tweeting about how she is excited to go the Arnold Classic next week so yet another week of no TV

If HHH really wants NXT to be its own full brand, they probably need more than an hour a week. I like the show as is, but they leave a whole lot of guys off television every week, and with KENTA, Steen, and Devitt (and Crowe?) all coming in it's going to be even more crowded. Hard to build a touring roster that crowds will pay to see if half of them are only on television once a month.

Sasha was REALLY good last night in the pre-show and the post-show stuff. She's always been really bad in that sort of stuff but she really stepped it up. Her intimidating A-Ry was great.

It's awesome seeing how shitty they are at scripted promos and backstage scenes, but how awesome they are when they just get to roll on the mic. Maybe somebody really starts taking a memo and says 'oh maybe not write every word for them...'

If you really want to depress yourself, imagine Cole an JBL calling a Bayley match.

Cole: "How can you not love Bayley? She wants to give hugs to the WWE Universe.

JBL: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN A DAMN HUG, MAGGLE? DO YOU EVER THINK RON SIMMONS GAVE ANYONE A DAMN HUG. WE FIGHT ON FRIDAYS, MAGGLE. WE DON'T GIVE HUGS. 

*Bayley loses by roll-up to Nikki Bella*

JBL: SEE MAGGLE, MAYBE IF SHE WAS LESS WORRIED ABOUT GIVING HUGS TO PEOPLE SHE'D WIN A DAMN MATCH. 

Cole: Maybe you need a hug, John.

The worst. 

• Like 10

It amazes me a little that they're really creating and tapping into a Total Divas audience. That is almost unprecedented for WWE past maybe Summerslam 2000 and some of the Torrie Wilson/Dawn Marie stuff.

I think, and this is naive of me, probably, that they could have turned Emma and Bailey (and sure maybe Becky and Paige too) into idols for teenage girls, sort of like the ones they see on the Disney channel or something, who overcome bullies and fight past the odds and show that through trying hard and believing and dreaming you could accomplish your goals, and maybe paired with a couple of true to the name babyface males, they could have really tapped into something. I think the ship has sort of sailed now with the Emma and Paige debuts.

It's sort of crazy that someone like Steph didn't pick up on that. It would have been hard, but not impossible to balance the Total Divas stuff with that. Either you could have one side be sort of the Mean Girls, or just keep them mostly separate. 

Very naive.

If HHH really wants NXT to be its own full brand, they probably need more than an hour a week. I like the show as is, but they leave a whole lot of guys off television every week, and with KENTA, Steen, and Devitt (and Crowe?) all coming in it's going to be even more crowded. Hard to build a touring roster that crowds will pay to see if half of them are only on television once a month.

It is a lot like a MLB or NHL team with a great farm system.  Yeah you want to bring them up but at the same time there is only so much TV to go around and any time the new people receive takes away time from someone from the main roster.

I would love to see Emma on TV more but realize that they are in Total Divas plug mode with the main storyline being the Bellas with Paige/AJ/belt being second.  If they called Bailey up she would get misused because they just have too much talent and not enough time for them.

RIght now Emma is floating in the wind with no Total Divas and no belt.  Bailey would be in the same boat.

They didn't put the Renee hosted previous show from the night before on youtube for free, did they? If not, they're idiots. What's the point of that show except for to advertise to people who DON'T have the network.

EDIT: Nope. They aired the pre-show, maybe live, maybe not but they didn't air the hype show from Wednesday that was an hour or so. What the hell is the point then? 

They didn't put the Renee hosted previous show from the night before on youtube for free, did they? If not, they're idiots. What's the point of that show except for to advertise to people who DON'T have the network.

EDIT: Nope. They aired the pre-show, maybe live, maybe not but they didn't air the hype show from Wednesday that was an hour or so. What the hell is the point then? 

I think a lot of the pre-and-post NXT stuff is a test run to see if they can do it well. I would think NXT also serves as a training center for production people, too.

I think a lot of the pre-and-post NXT stuff is a test run to see if they can do it well. I would think NXT also serves as a training center for production people, too.

Well, I mean, NXT is taped at a Production College, so it would make sense.  I think that's why it was chosen.

If you really want to depress yourself, imagine Cole an JBL calling a Bayley match.

Cole: "How can you not love Bayley? She wants to give hugs to the WWE Universe.

JBL: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN A DAMN HUG, MAGGLE? DO YOU EVER THINK RON SIMMONS GAVE ANYONE A DAMN HUG. WE FIGHT ON FRIDAYS, MAGGLE. WE DON'T GIVE HUGS. 

*Bayley loses by roll-up to Nikki Bella*

JBL: SEE MAGGLE, MAYBE IF SHE WAS LESS WORRIED ABOUT GIVING HUGS TO PEOPLE SHE'D WIN A DAMN MATCH. 

Cole: Maybe you need a hug, John.

The worst. 

I just pictured NXT going to two hours and poor Cole being forced to call that show as well. 8 hours of TV per week, not counting PPVs

If you were an NXT talent and you moved from NXT to Main Event but not appearing on Raw or SD, how much of a promotion would that be?

Is their a pay raise just for going on the big roster, even if you're relegated to Justin Gabriel status?

I also wonder about the costs of going on the road vs just being in Orlando?