DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Is their a pay raise just for going on the big roster, even if you're relegated to Justin Gabriel status?

Daniel Bryan on Talk is Jericho discussed how he was traveling full time on the main roster but still getting paid developmental money.

Course that was how many years ago.

A number of prominent WWE NXT talents have been booked for the next several weeks of WWE TV tapings, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

NXT champion Adrian Neville, Sami Zayn and Tyler Breeze are all scheduled to be at this Monday's Raw in Lafayette, LA and Tuesday's Smackdown in Biloxi, MS.

We are told that the NXT talents are expected to be at TV for at least the next several weeks. Whether they are used on TV to help continue to cross-promote the NXT brand remains to be seen.

Cool news. WWE's main roster programming needs a shot in the arm.

From a Japanese fan blog. The source of Kenta's new name:

I believe this name comes from Hideo is Nomo Hideo who is pioneer of Japanese MLB player and Itami is Juzo Itami who is a famous movie director of satire and comedy. It is a little bit wired for Japanese. But people can image Japanese to this name. And Hideo means "Hero" in Japanese. KENTA mentioned "Hero" at Takeover. And Itami means "Pain" in Japanese. The chairman of WWE Vince Mcmahon tweeted "The future of WWE looks bright".

http://blog.livedoor.jp/hbkidcool/archives/51959831.html

Putting an NXT showcase match on Raw & Smackdown regularly, or at least on the events before one of their big show, would be a great way to get them some more exposure as well as giving a few of the guys a chance to work in a larger setting.  At the very least they could spend a few minutes recapping what happened on the most recent episode of NXT on the big shows.

The KENTA name change is especially dumb considering that on all the takeover shows they kept advertising him by his old name.  I haven't seen Takeover yet so I don't know if they bothered giving some kayfabe reason for the name change or not but it seems like another pointless change. 

They didn't put the Renee hosted previous show from the night before on youtube for free, did they? If not, they're idiots. What's the point of that show except for to advertise to people who DON'T have the network.

EDIT: Nope. They aired the pre-show, maybe live, maybe not but they didn't air the hype show from Wednesday that was an hour or so. What the hell is the point then? 

I think a lot of the pre-and-post NXT stuff is a test run to see if they can do it well. I would think NXT also serves as a training center for production people, too.

Well, I mean, NXT is taped at a Production College, so it would make sense.  I think that's why it was chosen.

In Chris Hero's last shoot interview, which is basically a 5 hour NXT infomercial, he mentioned that a lot of the people working on the A/V production were students there who were interning or getting course credit for working there.

Given Full Sail's status as a for-profit school and the controversy surrounding those right now, I'm surprised WWE is so closely associated with them. 

From Wiki:

According to The New York Times, Full Sail has many of the same problems as other institutions in the for-profit college industry.[29] They reported that some of the university's academic programs have high loan burdens and low graduation rates. The $81,000 video game art program graduated 38 percent of its students, who carried a median debt load of nearly $59,000 in federal and private loans in 2008.[29] The Times cited other Full Sail degree programs as having higher graduation rates, noting that the master's in entertainment business, "a yearlong program with a $36,245 tuition, graduated 80 percent of its students, nearly 63 percent of them on time."[29] According to Inside Higher Ed, "a closer look at the numbers reveals that graduation rates are not a major problem at Full Sail: the overall graduation rate is a fairly high 78 percent, according to federal data."[2][50] In the same article, however, The New York Times noted that Full Sail's own students have posted criticisms of the school, including some that call Full Sail a "scam" because of its high costs, low placement, and difficulties with credit transfer

I often get the feeling the guys from NXT most likely to succeed at the next level, ahead of Zayn/Neville (Whom I feel like could get pigeonholed into a Dolph Ziggler-esque role of making others look good but not being on top themselves), Breeze (Whom I really think they will screw up), the Ascension (Just not sure they're good enough/interesting enough in the ring to overlook their lack of interview charisma) is, believe it or not, Enzo and Cass.  Now, I'm not saying they'll be World Champs or anything, but I could see them being like a modern New Age Outlaws-type team who holds the tag titles a bunch of times and ends up as lackeys to a main eventer like Orton, Rollins etc.  I just think, if they're given any mic-time at all, I could see people getting super into the "SAWFT" chant (Like at NXT when they wrestle and you keep hearing from various corners of the arena different guys shouting "SAWFT!" "SAWFT!", it's just fun to say).  I mean, Cole and JBL are going to shit on them something fierce, but I get the feeling that Enzo's funny enough/charismatic enough to win over the audience and eventually those two as well.

If you really want to depress yourself, imagine Cole an JBL calling a Bayley match.

Cole: "How can you not love Bayley? She wants to give hugs to the WWE Universe.

JBL: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN A DAMN HUG, MAGGLE? DO YOU EVER THINK RON SIMMONS GAVE ANYONE A DAMN HUG. WE FIGHT ON FRIDAYS, MAGGLE. WE DON'T GIVE HUGS. 

*Bayley loses by roll-up to Nikki Bella*

JBL: SEE MAGGLE, MAYBE IF SHE WAS LESS WORRIED ABOUT GIVING HUGS TO PEOPLE SHE'D WIN A DAMN MATCH. 

Cole: Maybe you need a hug, John.

The worst. 

Fake JBL is not wrong.

Have you noticed that the common thread when it comes to why NXT guys will get fucked up, is Cole and JBL?  They desperately need a change in the booth.

I don't even know that it's the personnel, so much as they need to take Vince's direct line away from them and go "Don't worry, they'll do fine on their own.  Just let them do their thing."

I like JBL, I do think he's funny and he does a decent job of getting over the heels.  The biggest problem is Cole isn't strong enough, or allowed to be strong enough, to refute JBL's heel building up properly.  If JBL mocks a face, such as Swagger for losing and letting America down, Cole isn't able/capable to back him down and say "Swagger didn't let anyone down, he tried his hardest, that's what America's about!" he just sort of whines about cheating or something and moves on to the next.  This could all be fixed, by turfing Jerry Lawler or turning him into a commissioner/Raw Host and bringing in someone like Jason Albert to take the face side and argue against JBL, with Cole being the slightly biased pbp guy.  

When JBL's at his worst is when he suddenly starts switching sides: "This Rusev is a monster...Get 'im, Mark!" and that almost always sounds like he's repeating something being shouted into his earpiece by Vince.  When he starts cheering for the faces, you can just picture Vince shouting exactly what JBL ends up saying.  I think establishing before the show the salient points: get this guy over, point out this guy's injury, plug this and then letting Cole/JBL/Albert (or someone) go and do their thing without having Vince in their ear, I think you'd notice an upturn in commentary quality almost instantly. 

Realistically, almost everything in WWE would probably be running a lot better right now if Vince would step aside and just run the business side of things.

I've been watching a whole lot of 2007 Smackdown recently and JBL's commentary is amazing. He would go to no end to put a guy over whether heel or face, always giving his opinion on whether he likes the guy or not but not letting it come in the way of making sure the audience knew said individual was a superb competitor. JBL in 07 was superb.

• Like 1

I just think, if they're given any mic-time at all, I could see people getting super into the "SAWFT" chant (Like at NXT when they wrestle and you keep hearing from various corners of the arena different guys shouting "SAWFT!" "SAWFT!", it's just fun to say). I mean, Cole and JBL are going to shit on them something fierce, but I get the feeling that Enzo's funny enough/charismatic enough to win over the audience and eventually those two as well.

I'm already hearing people in the crowd at indy shows repeating some of their catch phrases. Enzo and Cass are gonna get over huge on the main roster.

I've been watching a whole lot of 2007 Smackdown recently and JBL's commentary is amazing. He would go to no end to put a guy over whether heel or face, always giving his opinion on whether he likes the guy or not but not letting it come in the way of making sure the audience knew said individual was a superb competitor. JBL in 07 was superb.

JBL convincing people that Matt Hardy was a World Champion, while Matt Hardy was just middling around against no one was one of the greatest commentary feats ever. JBL WAS the best. I don't know what the fuck he is now. Those were peak years for him and Cole.

• Like 1

Between not calling moves/holds and not telling a story during matches I'm not sure that JBL/Cole serve any purpose.

It just seems like they have 3 or 4 bullet points about each wrestler/program that they repeat several times each match.

It becomes repetitive and annoying.

Still way better than heel Cole running down Bryan.

JBL convincing people that Matt Hardy was a World Champion, while Matt Hardy was just middling around against no one was one of the greatest commentary feats ever. JBL WAS the best. I don't know what the fuck he is now. Those were peak years for him and Cole.

"MATT HARDY IS A MAIN EVENT WAITING TO HAPPEN, SURE YOUR GIRLFRIEND CHEATED ON YOU BUT GET OVER IT AND WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP"