DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Yeah, how could anyone hate on Spike? He was really good and perfect in every role he was ever handed. (Maybe not in TNA, because I never watched it, and I don't even know if he was in it.) Spike getting tossed into the ECW crowd who caught him was one of my favorites moments.

He's also now a financial planner. Dude got out of the business.

I also know someone who grew up with him. He was a geeky dude who was in the marching band and into The Replacements and Big Star and all sorts of stuff like that and a wrestling obsessive. I can get down with that.

Watched the May 8 2014 episode Alexa Bliss in her debut during the 1st round of Diva title tourney looked impressive and I can't wait to see what she does in the coming weeks. The finish to the battle royal with a 3 way tie was very clever because I don't remember seeing that before in wrestling. The triple threat match on the next show should be pretty good.

Man, the Enzo, Cass, Carmela trio has some serious chemistry. 

Bayley/Charlotte was solid.

This is a dumb question, but what is Baron Corbin's gimmick? The little vignette last week made him seem like a vampire or werewolf or member of some sort of legion of underworlders. 

They changed the Vaudevillains music. LAAAAAAAME. It needs to be more jaunty like the last one. Also, I think wearing that Vaudevillains shirt sort of takes away from Simon Gotch's whole aura. The Villains have the most fun tag spots. I like these guys a whole lot. 

I enjoyed Kidd/Neville. I like Kidd grounding Neville and forcing Neville to work up from underneath and get in bursts of high-flying offense. I find Neville to be pretty uninteresting, but with the right guy, he's good for a solid match, and he and Kidd have pretty good chemistry together. I'll be interested to see if they do turn Neville heel at some point because I've never seen him work heel, but I don't see that at this point, he has the offense to really have interesting control stretches or anything like that. 

Bayley-Charlotte and Kidd-Neville were really good. Corbin's squashamatic gimmick is fun, and Enzo/Cass are going to be the modern-era NAO - well, as close to that as possible given that Enzo isn't anywhere close to as good as worker as RD. The Ascension beating on Itami was just terrible. They hit bad kicks, bad things resembling grounded forearms, the in-shape one badly missed some stomps, and the one bright spot here is it's leading to Funaki logically being his partner against them.

I really didn't like the ending of the main event. Neville is the champ, he retains if he's counted out. So he never had to get into the ring in the first place anyways.

Charlotte/Bayley was fun, especially with how Bayley snuck in some nice mat work. Hate the new Vaudevillain song. How come they change their music and yet Tyson Kidd has the same crap music he's had for the last four years?

Funaki as the new Sonny Onoo is awesome.

Watched the May 15 2014 episode of NXT: Alexa Bliss vs. Charlotte both women looked very off there games and the match was very disjointed. I believe down the road they could have a much better match. Kidd vs. Sami vs. Breeze was good but I wish they got 5 to 10 more minutes because the match could have been really good. The Exploder/German 3 way spot was new and memorable.

The Vaudevillains new theme sucks, but their transition to a full babyface tag team rules. Makes it even more puzzling that they dropped their more upbeat theme for a lame new one which makes it sound like William Regal is interrupting them.

On the one hand, I'd say that since Bailey and Charlotte are thinking (or being taught to thought) about the sort of matches that they're having right now, matches that they can't QUITE pull off, but that are so sound in layout and concept, then when they get more and more experience under their belt, they'll be really good for years to come, because this is stuff you don't unlearn.

On the other though, they won't get a chance to do work nearly as deep up on the main roster, so it hardly matters.

Am I alone in thinking that Corbin has "it"?

He has a lot of ugly tattoos, but I haven't seen anything beyond that yet.  I'm guessing his gimmick is he's a "Lone Wolf"?  Maybe after he gets an established character, cuts some promos and does some matches beyond 2 minutes we can see what he's got.