DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Is NXT no longer going to be available on regular Hulu or did they just push the schedule back so the free episodes are delayed by a week?  I went to go watch the newest episode today and it's only on Hulu+.  I'm also seeing all the older episodes being H+ only.

"Shark eyes", Raziel403, shark eyes. The dude has eyes like a shark. The Doctor said so, and I agree, so what else do you need to know?

The Doctor...

The Doctor lies.

• Like 1

I also have been watching the wrestling for some time, and Baron Corbin does not impress me at all. In fact, I would go so far as to say that he does not have "it". OSJ, I could not agree more with your assessment on the Vaudevillians (AKA "the baby music team" to my kid) being better off in NXT but I must question your judgement of horseflesh with regards to BC. The man has the countenance, and taste in accessories and body art, of a sheepish 14 year old lad. You may see Johnny Valentine (by the way, where are these films of JV controlling the crowds merely with his expression? I have heard the stories of this many times over but have never seen footage that was quality enough to show anything from him but the broadest of gestures) but I see a deer in the headlights. Those promos are strictly from TeenBeat and wasn't that wolf T shirt an interWeb meme for a moment or two?

Now, my opinion of Tyson Kidd has improved greatly over the past couple of months - just great, slow burn, perfectly motivated heeling and ringwork. Charlotte Flair is amazing, and is visibly learning and growing each week. She has a great ring presence. Tyler Breeze has a great chance of surviving the call up to RAW, he looks very natural in his interviews, entrances and matches. The quality faces in NXT also help: Zayn, LDragons, Neville. I still am a willing mark for Amore/Cass.

yay for NXT,

RAF

• Like 1

I need to see Baron in a match that last longer than 30 seconds to really get a read on him. I saw him vs CJ Parker a couple weeks ago at a house show and wasn't impressed. His new entrance that he had the the last taping was really cool though. If there's one thing NXT does well, it's entrances.

• Like 1

Rev: I respect your opinion a great deal and know that you know your stuff. You want Valentine footage, Wrestling Classics is your best bet, there's not a tremendous amount of stuff out there, but some of us are old enough to have actually seen him on the tv. The guy was just dripping with charisma.

But back to young Mr. Corbin, (Or rather thirty-year-old somewhat babyfaced Mr. Corbin)... I think he has the look that the teen demographic is going to get behind, and the right gimmick to make it work. Both of our track records at assessing talent is good enough that we could easily work in the upper echelons of WWE. On this one, maybe you've seen something I'm ignoring, or I'm seeing something that you're missing (so far). I was far too early in my predictions of greatness for Lance Hoyt, he had to go to Japan to fully blossom, but the fact remains I did spot it... Let's revisit this every three months or so and see if our opinions change one way or another. They could put him in a twenty-minute match and he stinks up the joint, and he winds up getting McIntryed. Or, he might continue with a successful slow build with progressively longer squashes and turn out to really be something. 'Twill be interesting, I've marked my calendar for January 1st to post something about his progress or lack thereof. See ya then.

Rev: I respect your opinion a great deal and know that you know your stuff. You want Valentine footage, Wrestling Classics is your best bet, there's not a tremendous amount of stuff out there, but some of us are old enough to have actually seen him on the tv. The guy was just dripping with charisma.

But back to young Mr. Corbin, (Or rather thirty-year-old somewhat babyfaced Mr. Corbin)... I think he has the look that the teen demographic is going to get behind, and the right gimmick to make it work. Both of our track records at assessing talent is good enough that we could easily work in the upper echelons of WWE. On this one, maybe you've seen something I'm ignoring, or I'm seeing something that you're missing (so far). I was far too early in my predictions of greatness for Lance Hoyt, he had to go to Japan to fully blossom, but the fact remains I did spot it... Let's revisit this every three months or so and see if our opinions change one way or another. They could put him in a twenty-minute match and he stinks up the joint, and he winds up getting McIntryed. Or, he might continue with a successful slow build with progressively longer squashes and turn out to really be something. 'Twill be interesting, I've marked my calendar for January 1st to post something about his progress or lack thereof. See ya then.

wait, you guys had a civil conversation? 

that's not how this works

gotta go rethink a lot of stuff.

• Like 1

This is how discourse of the graps is supposed to work. The Rev and I usually agree on stuff, but it's even more interesting when we don't as we're both quite capable of getting our points across without invective or tantrums. This Corbin thing will be quite interesting to watch unfold as I'm always ready to be proven wrong and change my opinion (granted, this doesn't happen very often, but I digress...)

As to the rest of his comments, we're in lock-step on Tyson Kidd, so I didn't say anything, and I can easily see Enzo and Cass on the mid-card as a semi-comedy act. He's also spot on with his assessment of Charlotte, she has a presence that you simply cannot teach, she is every inch a star in the making. If women's wrestling were to ever get a shot in the arm to become a serious thing in this country, you could do a lot worse than banking on Charlotte as the person to be the flagship.

• Like 1

So you would prefer he base his gimmick on Ghost Rider who is known to far fewer people? Don't get me wrong, as a thirty-year pro horror writer, I hate the vampire romance genre with a passion that you can only guess at, however, the name of the game is putting meat in the seats. Here's the checklist to really look at to see if Corbin has the potential. Matter of fact, let's just call this the OSJ "It" Factor List and leave it at that.

1. Is the wrestler likely to appeal to both sexes? Yes, he's a former football player, so guys like him and women think he's "cute".

2. Does he have a long enough career ahead of him that makes him a worthwhile investment to WWE? Yes, he just turned thirty, so there's (barring injuries) a decade or so where he can be a major player.

3. Is the wrestler's gimmick simple enough to explain in a thirty-second drill? Yes, biker loner, maybe some supernatural connections. Done.

4. Can he wrestle? We simply haven't seen enough to know, though my guess is that a former football player and gold glove boxer is likely going to be an easier trainee than most. We know he already has the agility, stamina, etc. as to whether or not he can channel that into a match remains to be seen.

5. Can he cut a promo? Well, he's certainly not Bray Wyatt, but with those shark eyes and sneer, he doesn't need to say much. Less is more in this case.

6. Does he have appeal to all age groups? The biker/loner is an iconic figure that resonates across generations. No problems there.

7. Does his wrestling style lend itself to longevity? We haven't seen much, but I don't think we're going to see a lot of flippy-floppy stuff from him, so I would guess "yes". Power wrestlers can last a long time.