DVDVR Message Board

All things Batman and the big screen.

The Natural

As much as I like Affleck and as much as I like Daredevil, I will admit that many directors have tried and failed at portraying Ben Affleck as a bad ass. He's just too...soft? I think that's the word I'm looking for. Nothing about him is threatening and yeah yeah yeah, the suit is what's threatening and all that, but Bale was able to become a Batman you would be afraid of. 

The casting is also strange because it's supposed to be an older Batman pitted against a younger Superman, when Affleck looks as youthful as Cavill. 

Ben Affleck is 6'4".  Put him in Jim Caviezel & Tom Hardy's weightlifting routine for 6 months, and he's going to look terrifying.

He is a solid choice. 

Now when Malcolm's dad gets cast as Luthor, oh man, are heads going to roll!

• Like 1

Good lord, you're all a bunch of whiny little Internet bitches. There's nothing wrong with this. I actually kind of like it.I mean look at you all... YOU MADE ME "LIKE" A BIGFRESH POST!!!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU ALL!!!!

Hugs n kisses.

God I remember the asshole fanboys wanting Crispin Glover to play the Joker. I mean I wasn't sure at the time about Ledger, but I wasn't begging too see that fucking hack of an actor Glover to play the role.

BTW, I wanted Tim Roth to play the Joker. 

. Now when Malcolm's dad gets cast as Luthor, oh man, are heads going to roll!

If only there was some other role in his filmography in which he had successfully proven his ability to play an evil criminal mastermind...

Alright, fine. Affleck can be the voice of the talking Raccoon. Whatever. Let's just forget about this and move on.

If he was still alive, I'd want to see Len Carlson as Rocket just so I could geek out.  Or at least Bob Dermer....or, at the risk of raping Guardians fanboys' childhoods, make him a her and have Susan Roman do the voice.

/The latter choice would actually rock, IMO.

//Now, let's see who gets these references.

///Back on topic, I'm actually cool with it, as my Affleck hatred has dissipated now that we've been a decade or so removed from the annoyance of Bennifer.  Just as long as we have a Batman who doesn't talk like he needs a lozenge (I saw Begins again recently and Bale's voice was OK then, it just got way over the top by TDK when he had to give longer stretches of dialogue).  And more detective work, por favor!

I knew this would quickly turn into "Ben Affleck was awful/great in this-or-that movie so this won't work/this might work".  Lets just say his performance in Gigli isn't a deal breaker for me in this role.  It's cliche, but put me with the "wait and see" crowd.

I don't have anything against Affleck. He's been apart of some movies I didn't care for, but he's done some enjoyable stuff too.  I actually think a lot rides on what type of chemistry Affleck and Henry Cavill will have in the movie.  The Batman and Superman dynamic depends on how they work together and their interactions.  A good dynamic could carry this teamup.

I am surprise WB went with such a big name actor only because there are so many hardline perceived notions and opinions on him.  Just reading the last few pages and you can see people bringing up baggage outside of his acting career.  Even an outstanding performance might not convince some people.  Then again, the publicity and hype for this film just went up a notch or two so maybe they feel it's worth it.

Edited by _MJ_