DVDVR Message Board

All things Batman and the big screen.

The Natural

A place to discuss Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, news/rumours/speculation about Batman's next films and what we would like to see in them!

Here’s what I’d like to see in future Batman movies:My first choice of tone/direction would be Batman: The Animated Series and my second option, the Arkham games.

No retelling of the origin. People know it and it’s tough to top Batman Begins which is the best comic book origin film of all time.Show Bruce Wayne’s detective skills.A better Batcave. Always liked the one in Batman 1989.Not sure whether I want to see Robin or not.The Riddler needs to be on film again played by David Tennant. I’ve wanted that to happen since The Dark Knight ended but it didn’t happen. 

I’m really interested to see the casting, director, Batsuit and direction the Batman reboot will take. The post Christopher Nolan Batman series has a major challenge following Nolan’s Batman trilogy and Batman Begins, the finest example of a successful reboot.

---

EDIT: Batman/Superman announced at San Diego Comic-Con 2013 (21st July 2013)

EDIT: Ben Affleck cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman (22nd August)

Edited by The Natural

Five years ago next Thursday, The Dark Knight was released in the US. Out of the three films in the trilogy, the UK had to wait the longest for this entry, bah! Five years later, for me it's still the best comic book film of all time. Heath Ledger was amazing as The Joker. The Dark Knight should have had nominations for Best Picture and Best Director at the Academy Awards but didn't get them. People were angry at this and other films which didn't get the nominations they deserved.

Next Saturday marks the one year anniversary of The Dark Knight Rises release in the US/UK. Out of the three films in the trilogy, this is the one that most divides opinion. I liked it but I think it's the weakest of the three.

There are things about it I liked more than the other 2, but there are things about it that I didn't like more than the other 2.

I liked that Bales voice didn't sound as gruff in DKR more than anything.

There are things about it I liked more than the other 2, but there are things about it that I didn't like more than the other 2.

I'm struggling to come up with things I liked more in The Dark Knight Rises compared to the other two but there are things I like less when compared to the first two.

I liked that Bales voice didn't sound as gruff in DKR more than anything.

I agree with you. For me Christian Bale's all together best performance was in Batman Begins, especially the voice.

Hi there. Looked at the wrong week of the calendar so I'e corrected my second post in this thread. Thanks!

Selina Kyle was easily the strongest female role/performance in the trilogy.  The last act is really tremendous. 

I was impressed with how well Anne Hathaway played the role.  She's a good actress, but was a bit worried that her 'little ol' me' schtick would seep through here.  It didn't, and she was fantastic.  I felt that she was Batman's true equal.

When Christopher Nolan announced Bane and Catwoman for The Dark Knight Rises, I was happy about Bane but I wasn't fussed about Catwoman. Anne Hathaway was the best thing about The Dark Knight Rises. I wish we had more of her in it.

I actually just rewatched 'TDKR' last night and it's still, by far, my favourite one in the series.  The first one, for me, takes too long to get going and I don't find Ras Al a very interesting villain (Which is weird, because on the rare occasions I read the comic, I dug his character there).  The second one is a perfectly decent film until Maggie Gyllenhaal gets blown up and I find everything after that bordering on tedious to unwatchable.  The third one, for me, is pretty much letter-perfect from beginning to end.  I love the way Bruce Wayne's tenure in prison mirrors that of the city: complete and utterly defeated with the tiniest glimpse of hope.  I don't think there were many scenes in all of 2012 that were more rousing than when Batman first came back, or his subsequent return from the pit.

I still don't know what ya'll saw in TDKR. Rewatched it sice it hit HBO and I found even more to hate about it. Its really like, the polar opposite to TDK. TDK might be the best Batman movie ever made. TDKR might just be the worst, including the Schumakers.

When I put in the blu-ray of TDKR, I found re-watching the first two acts to be even more tedious than it was in the theater, and made liberal use of the FF button when Selina wasn't on screen.  Just so fucking dull.  Bane is easily the worst conceived character in a big comic book blockbuster in years.  Nothing like casting a legit great actor, and then building the role in a way that robs his performance of... everything, and makes him absurd by having him sound like an old computer imitating Sean Connery.

But from the moment Bruce finally climbs out of the pit on, it's pretty goddamn great.

Batman Forever < Batman Returns < TDKR < Batman & Robin* < Batman Begins < Batman < The Dark Knight < Mask of the Phantasm

*Yes, really.  It's fun, and massively underrated.

I like his Wayne more than I do his Batman.  Really gives off an eccentric vibe where you go "Yeah, I could see this guy dressing up as a giant bat to beat up criminals."

As most of you might have guessed, one of my pet peeves is the ol' "That's not <insert superhero>!" criticism. There are just so many versions of these characters. When people say things like "That's not Batman in this movie," what they're really saying is "That's not the version of Batman that I prefer," or "This version of the character is not consistent with the current general consensus on who the character is."

With that in mind, BATMAN & ROBIN is soooo not the version of Batman I prefer. That said, judging it strictly on it's own merits, as a fluorescent, flamboyant attempt to out-camp the 60's TV show, it's about as perfect a take on that version of Batman as you could have gotten in the late 90's.

I could totally get behind Edgar Wright doing his take on that sort of Batman movie.

I think Nolan's lost it, honestly. It's been all downhill since he made the Prestige.The bigger and more amibitous his projects (and budgets) get, the more he forgets about having an interesting story about interesting people to justify the eyeball popping action scenes. Basically, he's making Jackie Chan movies at this point, only with all the charm and humour replaced by portentousness.And also, his films seem to have become insanely right-wing politically. The moral of TDKR is that if poor people would just shut up, get out of the way and let rich people take care of things, the world would be a better place.