DVDVR Message Board

All things Batman and the big screen.

The Natural

With this news Marvel should try and get Matt Damon for a Daredevil reboot.  He has already been a lawyer and done tons of fighting in previous roles.

I haven't seen any of his recent work so it isn't fair to judge how he will do based on Armageddon and Pearl Harbor.  I did like him in Dazed and Confused and Dogma, so maybe he should just be a jerk the entire movie. 

The above cartoon is awesome. The internet as a whole seems to have hated Affleck when he was hanging with Lopez, then he became a director, and everyone came around on him, but then this move seems to have torpedoed all the good will he built up.

I have no dog in this fight. Though Affleck seems like an unusual choice to me, the film would've been a wait till DVD for me anyway. I'm having fun laughing at the net reactions though.

I'm not totally hating the Affleck announcement, but the idea that Argo should show us how great he'd be at Batman?  That doesn't resonate for me.  None of the characters in Argo -- with the possible exception of the Hollywood guys -- were memorable to me in the slightest. 

Tangent: it's funny, I saw Argo just a few days before seeing Bernie, also a movie about real-life events.  I felt Bernie was way better on every level.  The real-life story of Argo is more interesting and important, but the movie Bernie had a lot more to say.

Just as long as there ain't another "dinner at stately Wayne manor" scene and they fight some bad guys this movie will probably be something I watch at nine in the morning 6 years from now and fall asleep to near the end.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Gonzalez, casting director supremo, is "bookmarking" posts for the future so he can say he telt ye Ben Affleck was a brilliant Batman choice.

In the interim he'd be having his assistant call dead people for other roles.

Do you even cast, bro?

Not sure how to feel about the casting choice. But Bale shit the bed in the last two movies. I thought he was pretty solid in Batman Begins but TDK was all Ledger's show, and Bale decided from then that Batman should have DOUBLE THROAT CANCER VOICE, and he basically just existed, nothing about his Batman stood out to me in either of those last two movies. 

• Like 1

I think that cartoon is supposed to poke fun at the whimisical nature of internet movie snobbery and geek fandom, my friend.

To use the Daredevil analogy again, it's like when people were like, "Hey, The Green Mile is such a powerful movie.  Why didn't Michael Clarke Duncan win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor?" and then they were all, "That asshole from The Scorpion King is going to be Wilson Fisk in the Daredevil movie? THE KINGPIN ISN'T EVEN BLACK~!"

I think their anaolgy is rather apt.

With this news Marvel should try and get Matt Damon for a Daredevil reboot. He has already been a lawyer and done tons of fighting in previous roles.I haven't seen any of his recent work so it isn't fair to judge how he will do based on Armageddon and Pearl Harbor. I did like him in Dazed and Confused and Dogma, so maybe he should just be a jerk the entire movie.

No matter what kind of mood I'm in, O'Bannion going "YA'LL READY TO BUST SOME ASS?" always makes me laugh.

Guest The Magnificent 7

It's rather silly.  Horses for courses.

Affleck's other action star vehicles are what is comparative, not Good Will Hunting or Argo or Chasing Amy. 

So flat out the fact (well, my opinion man) he sucked donkey dick in Daredevil, The Sum of All Fears, Pearl Harbor, Reindeer Games, etc. is what matters and what I expect. 

He was so awful as Jack Ryan, a really good series of films that I was a big fan of at that point and he just wasn't up to the job.  There were plenty of other problems with that one (like changing Al Qaeda to Austrian neo-fascists) , but he clearly couldn't play a convincing Jack Ryan.

YMMV

Rumor was he was going to be in another Jack Ryan movie coming up, so since I'm actually a bigger fan of those than the Batman movies, in a way if this means they give that role to someone else instead of him I'd actually be happy about him being Batman!  :)

See, to me the Affleck choice is a perfect storm. It's an interesting decision with an actor I like in a role that will challenge both him as an actor and the predisposed notions of the character.Though in general, I'll just be glad to see a big screen Batman that's mixing it up with superpowers again. I love the Nolan movies more than anything, but they've also thoroughly satisfied my palette for that sort of thing. I'm hoping for something different with this.

It's rather silly.  Horses for courses.

Bah, even here we've all help build the irrational, illogical beast that is movie snobbery.

Every last one of us has been guilty of movie snobbery and geek outrage, and will praise and damn the same guy in the same breath depending on the actor and the franchise.

I still remember the decades long original Batman thread here when Heath Ledger was announced to play the Joker in TDK and many of us (myself included) were all "WHAT, THE GAY COWBOY FROM BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN IS GONNA BE THE JOKER~?"  And then Heath hit a homer and haters shut the hell up.

It was the same when RDJ got the lead in Iron Man and when Joss got the chair for The Avengers.  There is something about super hero movies that brings out the worst in us grognards of little faith and fickle loyalties.

As much as it pains me to agree with Gonzalez, it will be interesting to see this thread after the World's Finest movie opens should Affleck crush one out of the park. For the record, I am also skeptical but I will wait until I watch this movie before I pass judgment.

Also, most of the movies you mention that Affleck blows goats in are over six or seven years old.  He's had quite the run lately as actor and director in The Town, The Company Men, and Argo.

It was the same when RDJ got the lead in Iron Man and when Joss got the chair for The Avengers.  There is something about super hero movies that brings out the worst in us grognards of little faith and fickle loyalties.

I don't recall much bitching about Whedon. i wasn't looking at the movie part of the board at the time, but I recall the general response on the internet to Downy being ok, just jokes about method acting for the Demon in the Bottle story due to Downey's past problems with drugs.