DVDVR Message Board

All things Batman and the big screen.

The Natural

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/179379-fox-plans-batman-inspired-series-gotham

Gotham City is coming to the small screen! Deadline is reporting that Fox has made a series commitment to "Gotham," a new live-action show that will follow the adventures of a young Detective James Gordon. The series hails from "The Mentalist" creator Bruno Heller.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/179379-fox-plans-batman-inspired-series-gotham

Gotham City is coming to the small screen! Deadline is reporting that Fox has made a series commitment to "Gotham," a new live-action show that will follow the adventures of a young Detective James Gordon. The series hails from "The Mentalist" creator Bruno Heller.

That seems odd.  Which Batman villains can they use?  And if Gordon can beat them pre-Batman, that kind of throws off everything, doesn't it?

I mean, is this just going to be a period detective show where occasionally somebody mentions Thomas Wayne?  I'm not getting the point.

Yeah, I don't understand the hook of the show. You can't do any of the major villains, and even if you can, you can't have Gordon catch them, because that makes Batman irrelevant. So either it's going to be a show about an inept James Gordon constantly failing to bring in the bad guys, or...it's just going to be your standard police procedural, except set in Gotham. Yay.

• Like 1

If they have him going up against the Gotham mob, then they might as well remake The Untouchables again.

Most likely if it does make it past the pilot stage(which I seriously doubt) he'll probably end up facing the lesser rouges like Victor Zsasz, and Black Mask. And some of the other rouges that had an operation before Batman like The Penguin(heck he could be the Huggy Bear of the show), and maybe even a pre-Joker Jack Napier.

Hey, I didn't say it was a good idea.  I'm just pointing out that you can do a show about Gordon fighting the mob, without using any of the rogues gallery.

I didn't mean your suggestion in specific, just why the fuck they would do a young Gordon show in general, instead of making Gotham Central.

A young, James Gordon's adventures?  Is Fox really that impressed by The CW's formula for superhero tv shows?

Arrow is awesome. It's not gonna win any Emmys but it's an excellent action-adventure show and a better comic adaptation than any non-Nolan DC movie has been.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't understand the hook of the show. You can't do any of the major villains, and even if you can, you can't have Gordon catch them, because that makes Batman irrelevant. So either it's going to be a show about an inept James Gordon constantly failing to bring in the bad guys, or...it's just going to be your standard police procedural, except set in Gotham. Yay.

Why would you do that instead of Gotham Central?!?

You both sum up my feelings on this. After reading the books, Gotham Central would be my first choice. We'll see how it goes.

A young, James Gordon's adventures?  Is Fox really that impressed by The CW's formula for superhero tv shows?

Arrow is awesome. It's not gonna win any Emmys but it's an excellent action-adventure show and a better comic adaptation than any non-Nolan DC movie has been.

Eh.  Different strokes.  Just not my type of show.  Admittedly I haven't watch it since its early beginnings.

Edited by _MJ_

Early on I was definitely anti-Arrow.  For some reason, I stuck with it and realized that while the characters are mediocre and the dialogue is awful, it has fun fight sequences and the plotting is actually pretty good. 

It's like somebody had really good big picture ideas, but then delegated the details to hacks.  Except the fight scenes.  Anyway, it turns out to be a decent mix once you learn to filter past the stupid words that come out of these people's mouths.

What interests me about the Batman-without-Batman series is, it is going be put out by *FOX*, not WB.  So I assume that after nearly 50 years, Fox still has the rights for live action TV series based on the Bat universe, while WB has the movies and animation? 

Which leads me to imagine them pulling a swerve and making a series based on the *1966* James Gordon, which would be BATB-like fun.  I know, they're not doing that, though. 

My dream GOTHAM is set 7 years past BATMAN '66.  Batman & Robin have just been killed (by the Mob) and it's up to Jim Gordon & the GPD to bring his killers to justice.  You get to keep all the Villains and you don't have to worry about people clamoring for Batman to appear.

I know it'd get cancelled during its first season, but it would be AMAZING.

Early on I was definitely anti-Arrow.  For some reason, I stuck with it and realized that while the characters are mediocre and the dialogue is awful, it has fun fight sequences and the plotting is actually pretty good. 

It's like somebody had really good big picture ideas, but then delegated the details to hacks.  Except the fight scenes.  Anyway, it turns out to be a decent mix once you learn to filter past the stupid words that come out of these people's mouths.

Unfortunately I had a hard time getting past the soap opera dialogue and goofy characters in the first season.  The show's version of Deadshot was pretty cool though.

My dream GOTHAM is set 7 years past BATMAN '66.  Batman & Robin have just been killed (by the Mob) and it's up to Jim Gordon & the GPD to bring his killers to justice.  You get to keep all the Villains and you don't have to worry about people clamoring for Batman to appear.

I know it'd get cancelled during its first season, but it would be AMAZING.

Batman and Robin killed by the mob? In the 66 series? Yeah, right. They either died surfing or choked by their capes.