DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-24-14

MGFanJay

Brain fart in my writing there. Ugh. I have no idea what I was trying to say.

Beating HHH is a huge, huge, huge thing. 

Only if done right. Literally only one person in WWE has actually been elevated by going over HHH, and he's currently in the heatless main event.

Only if done right. Literally only one person in WWE has actually been elevated by going over HHH, and he's currently in the heatless main event.

We'll agree to disagree. But Benoit and Jericho's careers were made by going over HHH in that tag match alone. Those guys were already great but they became PPV Main Event guys off of HHH tearing his quad. The Rock doesn't become The Rock without the DX/Nation feud anchored by his beef with HHH. (Inversely, HHH doesn't become who he is without The Rock.)  I'm sure I can find other examples.

Look at how crazy everyone gets for them. They've been here since SummerSlam (but, mystically, all along). That's not even a year and they're arguably the most over act in the company. The presentation they have is amazing. But all three of those guys are so friggin' great at the character acting side of the business that it's next level.

Last night's Bray/Roman match and last week's Wyatts/Usos match beg to differ.  They get a great reaction coming to the ring, but once the bell sounds, the crowds have been so dead during their matches you can almost hear conversations in the front row.  The Wyatts/Shield matches get great heat.  Everything else?  I think it's still a work in progress.

So next week is in Chicago, right? What's the over/under on Punk coming back?

You mean odds. Over/under would be for something like "How many Punk chants will there be next week?". It REALLY annoys me when people misuse that term for some reason.

Just finished watching the show off my DVR, and it was hard for me to judge because the announce team seemingly made it their mission to ruin the show. When it goes Lawler >>>>>>>Cole>>>>>>>>>>>JBL in terms of quality, it's a bad night. Seriously, what the FUCK happened to JBL?

I made RIPPA mad by noting on FB that Emma's act is already getting old. It comes off as way too forced.

I, for one, am fine with Bryan VS HHH. It needs to happen, and what better place than WM, the one show heel HHH is (usually) good for putting people over? I would like Bryan in the title picture, but since that isn't happening, I am looking forward to the actual title match for the trainwreck potential.

The musical distraction is the most protected finish in WWE today. ADR got his old music back, now he just needs Ricardo.

Bryan/Kane was disappointing for a blowoff.

The end was alright, but I am pretty ambivalent towards UT/Brock. UT needs to face Cena at WM while it can still happen, and it's be nice to see Brock in a WM match he has a chance to win.

For a moment, I thought Dean was going to leave his boys hanging, but NOPE. Dean Ambrose running out looking like he came out of a 2007 episode of Smackdown fresh out of a tag team with Sim Snuka and Cherry outta nowhere! That was one run in save that actually had me giddy and squealing like a soccer mom watching Randy Orton.

• Like 1

The musical distraction does make everyone look bad. That's why it was so much fun watching Batista falling for it last night. It wont phase him though, because he loves this business!

Putting ADR in the ring with Batista somehow makes ADR appealing and a face. I'd love to see if this would carry over to other wrestlers. Like, how would the crowd react to Batista v. Mahal or a returning Lord Tensai?

Re Backstage Pass, I cracked up picturing them setting up a podium for all the interviews ala major sporting events. Have all the dudes out there answering questions about their matches in a deadpan. Have Regal out there as the PR flack calling on reporters to ask questions. Fine Brock for no-showing. 

For a moment, I thought Dean was going to leave his boys hanging, but NOPE. Dean Ambrose running out looking like he came out of a 2007 episode of Smackdown fresh out of a tag team with Sim Snuka and Cherry outta nowhere! That was one run in save that actually had me giddy and squealing like a soccer mom watching Randy Orton.

I absolutely think that spot was for Cena until he got hurt. But I kinda like it this way. I think it would be badass in a strange way if the Shield is the first wrestling stable in history who can be men about their little squabbles instead if punching each other in the face at the first sign of someone getting an ego.

• Like 2

So next week is in Chicago, right? What's the over/under on Punk coming back?

You mean odds. Over/under would be for something like "How many Punk chants will there be next week?". It REALLY annoys me when people misuse that term for some reason.

Apologies.  That's what I get for using terms I don't fully understand.

I Those guys are also entangled in the best feud in years AND coming off a match that, after rewatching it and breaking it down, is legitimately meeting the initial hype as one of the greatest matches of all-time.

What was the last Shield match you didn't think was one of the greatest matches of all time? And I liked Shield/Wyatts.

I Those guys are also entangled in the best feud in years AND coming off a match that, after rewatching it and breaking it down, is legitimately meeting the initial hype as one of the greatest matches of all-time.

What was the last Shield match you didn't think was one of the greatest matches of all time? And I liked Shield/Wyatts.

Yeah!  How dare you often enjoy a show that you watch every week!?  Don't you know you're supposed to bitch and moan about everything said company does but still tune in to every single show they do so you can complain about it!?

Yeah!  How dare you often enjoy a show that you watch every week!?  Don't you know you're supposed to bitch and moan about everything said company does but still tune in to every single show they do so you can complain about it!?

Swing and a miss.

To elaborate:

First of all, I am by no means uniformly negative. I give WWE plenty of praise when I feel it's due. My very first post in the Elimination Chamber thread was about how great the show was. I've just been burned too many times to ignore the red flags when they pop up.

Second, there's nothing wrong with liking the Shield. Hell, I like the Shield. But I would respectfully submit that if you honestly believed that Shield/Wyatts was one of the greatest matches of all time, either your frame of reference is too narrow or your standards are too generous. If everything is great, nothing is.

We'll agree to disagree. But Benoit and Jericho's careers were made by going over HHH in that tag match alone. Those guys were already great but they became PPV Main Event guys off of HHH tearing his quad. The Rock doesn't become The Rock without the DX/Nation feud anchored by his beef with HHH. (Inversely, HHH doesn't become who he is without The Rock.)  I'm sure I can find other examples.

I don't know, I've heard no one laid down to make Triple H a star.

I don't know, I've heard no one laid down to make Triple H a star.

Mick Foley cries soft tears whenever HHH says this.   Then he forgets why he's crying...

because of the concussions. 

• Like 2