DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-24-14

MGFanJay

could Cesaro do a Jackhammer without spurring stupid crowd chants?

Nobody mocks Reigns for the Spear...

I want Cesaro to be stretching people. Give him the Chickenwing or Tazmission and let him just choke people out left and right ala Samoa Joe. I'm also waiting for him to bust out the UFO at Mania too.

I'd have him go back to using the Ricola Bomb and rename it the Cesaro Bomb. To hell w/ Batista and his Batista Bomb.

Somewhere in a room, Triple H is realizing Evolution wasn't as legendary and important as he thought it was 

Is there any chance that Wrestlemania just revolves around constant Real American matches and ends with them holding the tag titles, Cesaro holding the world strap, Swagger holding the IC, Zeb winning the US title, and then 2 Cold Scorpio challenges the streak?

I Those guys are also entangled in the best feud in years AND coming off a match that, after rewatching it and breaking it down, is legitimately meeting the initial hype as one of the greatest matches of all-time.

What was the last Shield match you didn't think was one of the greatest matches of all time? And I liked Shield/Wyatts.

Yeah!  How dare you often enjoy a show that you watch every week!?  Don't you know you're supposed to bitch and moan about everything said company does but still tune in to every single show they do so you can complain about it!?

Swing and a miss.

To elaborate:

First of all, I am by no means uniformly negative. I give WWE plenty of praise when I feel it's due. My very first post in the Elimination Chamber thread was about how great the show was. I've just been burned too many times to ignore the red flags when they pop up.

Second, there's nothing wrong with liking the Shield. Hell, I like the Shield. But I would respectfully submit that if you honestly believed that Shield/Wyatts was one of the greatest matches of all time, either your frame of reference is too narrow or your standards are too generous. If everything is great, nothing is.

So, if you think everything is great than everything is terrible, rather than just being a really enthusiastic fan?  Maybe, Gregg is just a big fan who, novel concept, genuinely enjoys everything about the Shield?  Why can't Shield-Wyatt be one of the greatest matches he's ever seen?!  Because it wasn't yours?!

I'm not having a go at you, so much as the mocking Greggulator gets on here for being an enthusiastic fan who loves matches with the Shield and the Wyatts.  In what universe is that a bad thing?!  Like, if you're not an enthusiastic fan, why are you still watching Raw every week?!  What possible enjoyment could you be getting out if it?!  We live in an era where it is easier to watch wrestling other than WWE than it has ever been!  You don't have to send money orders to shifty homemade websites and just hope against hope that a tape will turn up in your mailbox in several months time anymore, you can just go to Youtube/Dailymotion or Torrents or file-sharing things and just download/stream basically any wrestling on the face of the planet.  Yet, Gregg is the guy who gets mocked for watching and enjoying WWE?!

• Like 2

I Those guys are also entangled in the best feud in years AND coming off a match that, after rewatching it and breaking it down, is legitimately meeting the initial hype as one of the greatest matches of all-time.

What was the last Shield match you didn't think was one of the greatest matches of all time? And I liked Shield/Wyatts.

Yeah!  How dare you often enjoy a show that you watch every week!?  Don't you know you're supposed to bitch and moan about everything said company does but still tune in to every single show they do so you can complain about it!?

Swing and a miss.

To elaborate:

First of all, I am by no means uniformly negative. I give WWE plenty of praise when I feel it's due. My very first post in the Elimination Chamber thread was about how great the show was. I've just been burned too many times to ignore the red flags when they pop up.

Second, there's nothing wrong with liking the Shield. Hell, I like the Shield. But I would respectfully submit that if you honestly believed that Shield/Wyatts was one of the greatest matches of all time, either your frame of reference is too narrow or your standards are too generous. If everything is great, nothing is.

So, if you think everything is great than everything is terrible, rather than just being a really enthusiastic fan?  Maybe, Gregg is just a big fan who, novel concept, genuinely enjoys everything about the Shield?  Why can't Shield-Wyatt be one of the greatest matches he's ever seen?!  Because it wasn't yours?!

I'm not having a go at you, so much as the mocking Greggulator gets on here for being an enthusiastic fan who loves matches with the Shield and the Wyatts.  In what universe is that a bad thing?!  Like, if you're not an enthusiastic fan, why are you still watching Raw every week?!  What possible enjoyment could you be getting out if it?!  We live in an era where it is easier to watch wrestling other than WWE than it has ever been!  You don't have to send money orders to shifty homemade websites and just hope against hope that a tape will turn up in your mailbox in several months time anymore, you can just go to Youtube/Dailymotion or Torrents or file-sharing things and just download/stream basically any wrestling on the face of the planet.  Yet, Gregg is the guy who gets mocked for watching and enjoying WWE?!

Also, let's have some real talk...If you don't think that those 6 guys are killing it from week to week and basically carrying the next gen for the company, I'm not sure what Raw you're watching. Maybe the one where Batista is totes awesome.

They're legit murdering it every week, and if you're not as excited about what they're doing as Gregg is, I sort of feel bad for you.

Is there any chance that Wrestlemania just revolves around constant Real American matches and ends with them holding the tag titles, Cesaro holding the world strap, Swagger holding the IC, Zeb winning the US title, and then 2 Cold Scorpio challenges the streak?

Depends what drugs you take beforehand.

• Like 1

I sort of want them to turn the Real Americans face, but it would have to include turning Zeb face without getting rid of too many of the aspects that make him entertaining.

Haters are going to hate. Whatever. I'm overenthusiastic about something I love. I'm the same way in the other stuff I love, too. I gave up being cynical ages ago. There are plenty of things I don't like about the WWE and I've posted about them. But I'd rather focus on the good and enjoy it. Ye gads! What a novel idea. To be enthusiastic about things one likes!

I only wish everyone could feel the same way about life. If being miserable and filling your days obsessing over HHH booking himself over or whatever, I can't help you in that department. Feel free. I'm sorry that "getting enjoyment out of entertainment" is so offensive to so many.

As far as Wyatts/Shield -- go read my in-depth, hard-hitting review on the EC topic. That match has so many wonderful arcs and stories and callbacks. It's the first true masterpiece from guys who solely came up from WWE developmental. (Yes, I know Dean and Seth and Harper but they put in FCW and NXT time). And it stands out because they have so much characterization in the match. Like, way more than other great matches.

I mean, the Cesaro/Cena match was fantastic. But other than "This body part of mine hurts" and "I have to scream because I'm really strong and about to win!" there wasn't a lot of characterization within that.

That's why I love Shield/Wyatts so much. If you see it differently, go ahead. But I bring my arguments to the table.

• Like 2

I sort of want them to turn the Real Americans face, but it would have to include turning Zeb face without getting rid of too many of the aspects that make him entertaining.

They can make him the lovable old uncle who is crazy and you just have to look beyond that because he's not a bad guy overall.

Hey, I wish I could look at WWE wrestling through that mindset.  I fully admit my cynicism and current preference for indy wrestling over the mainstream products.  It's honestly frustrating that the in-ring content is as strong as it's ever been because the other factors drag down my perception of things.  I didn't watch Elimination Chamber but I don't doubt that Shield-Wyatts and the Chamber match were great outings...hopefully I'll get to watch them sometime to see for myself.

Haters are going to hate.

This guy is so white you guys

and white people suck more than that snooze fest of a SHIELD/WYATT match that Gregg has such a boner for amirightfullcircle

Nobody's saying that Shield/Wyatts sucked. I agree that it was a great match. But "one of the greatest matches of all time" is a much higher standard and warrants greater scrutiny.

and white people suck more than that snooze fest of a SHIELD/WYATT match that Gregg has such a boner for amirightfullcircle

Nobody's saying that Shield/Wyatts sucked. I agree that it was a great match. But "one of the greatest matches of all time" is a much higher standard and warrants greater scrutiny.

Here is the defense of my dissertation on the subject:

I should have added in there my argument about NXT and development. So many FCW/NXT folks wrestle with great expressions and in character. The Shield and The Wyatts are obviously the best of the dudes who spent time in developmental. But even folks probably slotted for more midcard acts -- Aiden English, Tyler Breeze, Bailey -- have those down. We're going to see more of this type of character work in the coming years. We're already seeing it with minor acts like Summer Rae and Sandow. There won't be too many matches like Shield/Wyatts. But there are going to be a lot of really fun moments up and down the card with wretlers expressing themselves beyond traditional selling.

The optimal meta reference is that Gregg is so white that he listens to Pitbull.

Jesus Christ.  

How is it that every week this thread devolves into "Hey, what's up with Gregg?"  

Fuck. 

The optimal meta reference is that Gregg is so white that he listens to Pitbull.

Jesus Christ.  

How is it that every week this thread devolves into "Hey, what's up with Gregg?"  

Fuck. 

Yeah, I'm honored to be a thought leader and everything but for real. There's like, wrestling, to talk about rather than the color of my skin.