DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

The animal scenes in Cannibal Holocaust are absolutely horrible to watch (the turtle scene upset me so much), but they underline the horrible nature of the people and the nihilism of the film as a whole. I cannot recommend anyone WANT to watch them, but they certainly are effective. Nowadays viewers are lucky to have an edited version.

I was thinking of the cinematography aesthetics question and the first thing that came to my head is Thief. The second was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. I guess I have a thing for neon.

I don't think nihilism works in films when it's too forced (note to David Fincher) and it felt very forced in Cannibal Holocaust. The film crew come off as so absurdly evil it's unbelievable. I mean, I know they were trying to make a point, but you could have had the crew be more careless and unaware rather than outright malicious and that's what set the tribe off. 

It was a late '70s Italian genre film, you expect them to be subtle? 

I watched Ride Along tonight. I was going to watch it through less encouraged ways but it was at the cheap theater so I paid 8 bucks to take the wife to see it. She hadn't seen the previews for it so she laughed at all of the funny scenes, which just so happened to be in the trailer. I almost hate watching comedy trailers because at best you don't laugh at half the scenes since you've seen them a hundred times and at worst its all the funny scenes so the movie is dull. Ride Along on top of not being funny outside of all the scenes in the trailer the plot was embarrassingly awful. If I wanted to wait an hour I could have watched Robocop and I should have ordered dessert at the restaurant and seen Robocop instead. Its a bummer because I enjoy Kevin Hart's minor roles. 

Saw Grand Budapest Hotel.

Okay but didnt move me.

Closer to darjeeling ltd than rushmore or tenenbaums.

Loved Grand Budapest Hotel.  Was perhaps the most Wes Anderson movie of all Wes Anderson movies.  I've been pretty jaded about "indie" movies lately.  I didn't make it 30 minutes into Moonrise Kingdom, I didn't even bother with Darjeerling Ltd.  Rushmore hasn't aged well for me, either.  In fact, when the trailers for GBH came out, I felt as if Anderson was making a parody of his movies with this one. 

At the last minute, I decided to see this.  I spend too much time watching animated kid movies and marvel movies with my kids and horror movies on netflix when I get alone time.  I wanted to see something more whimsical, more light.  I had a smile on my face the entire time.  Yes, the plot is essentially inconsequential, but the tone is right, the acting is wonderful and the non-stop cameos are a blast.  And, I felt the return to the Fantastic Mr. Fox-style animation at times just delightful. 

I loved it.  And I've been hating everything lately.  And I convinced myself that I would hate this one before I even saw it.  I loved it.

Saw Grand Budapest Hotel.

Okay but didnt move me.

Closer to darjeeling ltd than rushmore or tenenbaums.

Loved Grand Budapest Hotel.  Was perhaps the most Wes Anderson movie of all Wes Anderson movies.  I've been pretty jaded about "indie" movies lately.  I didn't make it 30 minutes into Moonrise Kingdom, I didn't even bother with Darjeerling Ltd.  Rushmore hasn't aged well for me, either.  In fact, when the trailers for GBH came out, I felt as if Anderson was making a parody of his movies with this one. 

At the last minute, I decided to see this.  I spend too much time watching animated kid movies and marvel movies with my kids and horror movies on netflix when I get alone time.  I wanted to see something more whimsical, more light.  I had a smile on my face the entire time.  Yes, the plot is essentially inconsequential, but the tone is right, the acting is wonderful and the non-stop cameos are a blast.  And, I felt the return to the Fantastic Mr. Fox-style animation at times just delightful. 

I loved it.  And I've been hating everything lately.  And I convinced myself that I would hate this one before I even saw it.  I loved it.

One of my friends thinks the last few Anderson movies are just rehashing his tropes over and over again.

That's what i felt through most of the movie, but i think it picked up after M. Gustave and Zero go on the run.

I'm glad i knew about the aspect ratio/flashback gimmick before i saw it.

So I watched this movie called "Another Happy Day" last night. I've had the DVD for a while since I found it in the dvd bin at this discount store. Finally put it on and wow what a dark dark DARK movie.

Ellen Barkin stars as a woman driving with her two sons to her oldest's son's wedding at her parent's home. One's a 17 yr old drug addict the other is a 12 year old with Asbergers. Her mother is played by Ellen Burstyn and the woman is one of those mother's who despite how fucked up her family is around her...nothing is wrong at all.  There's one scene that had me laughing for all the wrong reasons. Barkin's character is asking her mom if there's a history of depression and suicide in the family. Burstyn denies it but then says "Well Dad's Dad shot himself". Barkin is stunned and thinks this is maybe something she should have known about and Burstyn deadpans "It was the depression...alot of people shot themselves".

The film was written and directed by Sam Levinson (Barry Levinson's son) and it won an award for Best Screenwriting at Sundance in 2010. It reminded me a lot of Festen (The Celebration). Granted it didn't have the big shocker that film does about a deep dark family secret, but still. I don't think the reviews for this film really do it justice. It's just such a dark depressing film that it probably put a lot of people off.

My 16-year old niece is in town and wanted to go to the sing-along version of Frozen at the local discount theater.  So my wife & I took her, my first time seeing the movie.

I must say that I was disappointed.  Not that the movie was bad or anything but that it felt...competent.  Not particularly spectacular looking.  Nothing all that memorable in the way of music (other than "Do you wanna build a snowman?").  Plot was pretty "meh".  I mean, I was entertained, I just didn't think it was this awesome movie liked I'd heard.  Definitely not in my animated top 10, that's for sure*.  Right at the Tabedoza line for this one: 7/10.

* - since you didn't ask:

1) Up

(Big Gap)

2) The Little Mermaid

3) How to Train Your Dragon

4) Toy Story 3

5) Finding Nemo

6) Shrek

7) Beauty and the Beast

8) Toy Story 1

9) Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

10) Meet the Robinsons

Caveat: I don't watch anime and, no, I haven't seen every Pixar or Disney movie.  I'm also probably forgetting one or two that should be in the top 10.

My 16-year old niece is in town and wanted to go to the sing-along version of Frozen at the local discount theater.  So my wife & I took her, my first time seeing the movie.

I must say that I was disappointed.  Not that the movie was bad or anything but that it felt...competent.  Not particularly spectacular looking.  Nothing all that memorable in the way of music (other than "Do you wanna build a snowman?").  Plot was pretty "meh".  I mean, I was entertained, I just didn't think it was this awesome movie liked I'd heard.  Definitely not in my animated top 10, that's for sure*.  Right at the Tabedoza line for this one: 7/10.

* - since you didn't ask:

1) Up

(Big Gap)

2) The Little Mermaid

3) How to Train Your Dragon

4) Toy Story 3

5) Finding Nemo

6) Shrek

7) Beauty and the Beast

8) Toy Story 1

9) Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

10) Meet the Robinsons

Caveat: I don't watch anime and, no, I haven't seen every Pixar or Disney movie.  I'm also probably forgetting one or two that should be in the top 10.

I think a big part of Frozen's success(haven't seen it yet), is that it was the only movie for family's around Christmas. Sure there was hunger games and Hobbit, but not other competition for the younger kids market, thus it was huge. . . 

Odd youve seen Toy Story 1 and 3, but not 2, even with your cavaet.

Or, ya know, it could have fallen outside of my top 10 :)  It's probably #11 on my list and maybe even deserves a spot in the top 10 though I'm not sure what I'd bump to move it up.

Your lack of Wal-E make me sad, Tabe. You must remedy that.

Seen it.  Hated it.  That movie sucks.

Man, I can't even fathom coming up with a Top 10 Animated Movies list without leaning heavily on Hayao Miyazaki, much less anime in general.

It would probably look something like

01. Spirited Away

02. My Neighbor Totoro

03. Only Yesterday

04. Transfomers: The Movie

05. Princess Mononoke

06. Akira

07. The Illusionist

08. The Little Mermaid

09. Ponyo

10. The Lion King

Man, I can't even fathom coming up with a Top 10 Animated Movies list without leaning heavily on Hayao Miyazaki, much less anime in general.

Well, it's easy if you don't watch anime :)

Odd youve seen Toy Story 1 and 3, but not 2, even with your cavaet.

Or, ya know, it could have fallen outside of my top 10 :) It's probably #11 on my list and maybe even deserves a spot in the top 10 though I'm not sure what I'd bump to move it up.

Your lack of Wal-E make me sad, Tabe. You must remedy that.

Seen it. Hated it. That movie sucks.

:o

• Like 1

Stop. You (and everyone else) only like it for Freebird. That song would have to have been played throughout the entire movie to justify the rest of his "films."

Thinking about this more, and I am pretty certain the Freebird scene isn't even the best one in the movie.

Stop. You (and everyone else) only like it for Freebird. That song would have to have been played throughout the entire movie to justify the rest of his "films."

Thinking about this more, and I am pretty certain the Freebird scene isn't even the best one in the movie.

That honor belongs to the "Tutti fuckin' Frutti!" scene.

Clearly.

• Like 1

I watched The Running Man last night. Totally forgot how enjoyable the movie is. This is Arnold right near his peak, and the one liners are still funny. 

I like that the fat opera-singing stalker, "Dynamo", played the angel-voiced serial killer "Grossburger" in the seminal Wilder/Pryor classic, "Stir Crazy".  

• Like 1

My only issue with The Running Man is that it resembles the great Stephen King / Richard Bachman stuff in title only.

Other than that, it is a great piece of mindless late 80's action fluff.

Syfy or HBO really does need to make a mini-series out of the original Bachman premise.

• Like 1

My only issue with The Running Man is that it resembles the great Stephen King / Richard Bachman stuff in title only.

Other than that, it is a great piece of mindless late 80's action fluff.

Syfy or HBO really does need to make a mini-series out of the original Bachman premise.

Not only does someone need to make a mini-series out of the original premise, I'm surprised that no one has made an ongoing series out of the film version. You could have a rotating "hero" for each new season.