DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

4 hours ago, Robert S said:

The Boy and The Heron is a Miyazaki film, I think the only connection to Guillermo Del Toro is that Del Toro introduced the movie at the Toronto International Film Festival. (or am I missing a joke here?)

Your right somehow I got confused thinking Del toro worked with studio ghibli on it

5 hours ago, JLowe said:

I never expected John Cena to be a talented comic actor but he’s incredibly funny.

I think it was director James Gunn who said Cena was the best ad-libber he had ever worked with; that in Suicide Squad when Idris Elba refers to Cena  being in his "tightie-whities" and Cena responded "That's racist!" it was completely unscripted and broke them all up. 

• Like 6

on one hand, you'd think wrestlers would be good at thinking on their feet, on the other hand, recent wrestling has had a lot less adlibbing on promos than previous generations

there's probably a bit of variety among 80s/90s wrestlers for who would have been good in movies and who wouldn't have..

for example, I don't know if Scott Hall really did any movies, but I'd think if he was in good condition, he would have potential to be good in a bit part at least

Stevie Richards might have been good in "the role that we intended to give Eric Roberts but we couldn't afford him". Maybe they'd give Stevie bit parts as a surfer dude first to see if he could acclimate to working movies as a dude hanging out behind Sean Astin or Pauly Shore.

Edited by Cobra Commander

2 minutes ago, zendragon said:

If you didn’t think Kayfabe was dead I just heard “more confidence than a face wrestler in a hair v hair match” in a radio ad

Don’t tell that to Beverly Dundee

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

on one hand, you'd think wrestlers would be good at thinking on their feet, on the other hand, recent wrestling has had a lot less adlibbing on promos than previous generations

there's probably a bit of variety among 80s/90s wrestlers for who would have been good in movies and who wouldn't have..

for example, I don't know if Scott Hall really did any movies, but I'd think if he was in good condition, he would have potential to be good in a bit part at least

Stevie Richards might have been good in "the role that we intended to give Eric Roberts but we couldn't afford him". Maybe they'd give Stevie bit parts as a surfer dude first to see if he could acclimate to working movies as a dude hanging out behind Sean Astin or Pauly Shore.

Well Hall did lose out the role of Scarface but I mean it was to Pacino after all right?

• Haha 1

If wver there were someone to come out to "We Will Rock You" and then be played out to "We Are The Chamlions" they'd win all of professional wrestling!

James

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

great wrestling theme songs that can't be used because you have to pay to use people's music:

Using "You Can't Always Get What You Want" as the exit theme for a heel after his victories

Coach Tony use this idea if the Bucks are going over Sting/Darby at revolution. 

Or when/if MJF comes back and he beats Adam Cole (BayBay) in a title match or #1 contenders. MJF already has The Rolling Stones cache going 

39 minutes ago, J.H. said:

If wver there were someone to come out to "We Will Rock You" and then be played out to "We Are The Chamlions" they'd win all of professional wrestling!

James

I’m one of-the few people who prefer the knock off version of We Will Rock You used by Ultimo Guerrero than the real version. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

James

Claudio Castagnoli's intro on the indies was the beginning of "We Will Rock You", which would flow into "Sledgehammer".

The Kings of Wrestling (Hero & Claudio) used "We Are the Champions" as their entrance theme. 

https://youtu.be/pSB4Ocv1Qsk?si=wLMAf30odyOCT2yx

https://youtu.be/iUGp0JB87PA?si=nPNq-lZJbWeTDQgf

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Claudio Castagnoli's intro on the indies was the beginning of "We Will Rock You", which would flow into "Sledgehammer".

The Kings of Wrestling (Hero & Claudio) used "We Are the Champions" as their entrance theme. 

https://youtu.be/pSB4Ocv1Qsk?si=wLMAf30odyOCT2yx

https://youtu.be/iUGp0JB87PA?si=nPNq-lZJbWeTDQgf

It was actually the ending guitar solo of "We Will Rock You" into an instrumental loop of the "Sledgehammer" hook and it was totally dope.

• Thanks 1

With all the Rock things happening in wrestling, I’ve gotta mention that he’s doing ads for Acorns (which I keep seeing because MTV Classic doesn’t have many advertisers) and that business seems like a racket meant to manipulate dumb people under the guise of making them think they’re being smart with money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

With all the Rock things happening in wrestling, I’ve gotta mention that he’s doing ads for Acorns (which I keep seeing because MTV Classic doesn’t have many advertisers) and that business seems like a racket meant to manipulate dumb people under the guise of making them think they’re being smart with money.

...So like a bank?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

On the other side of the spectrum, John Cena is doing SuperBowl ads for a gambling company. So, fuck ‘em both?

5 hours ago, J.H. said:

James

Not quite that, but still my favorite entrance for my favorite team.

• Like 4

NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka is big next Sunday. Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr II, Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi for the last time and the first NJPW Steel Cage match in 20 years as United Empire vs. Bullet Club. Think it's Will Ospreay's last NJPW match. Our very own Gordi will be in attendance. Enjoy, mate xxx.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1