19 minutes ago, Coletti said:

Oof, I forgot about Darby's face tattoo. Really, really not a fan ๐Ÿ˜•

Here's a list of famous athletes I'm fine with having a face tattoo:

1) Mike Tyson

2) Henare

ย 

That is all.

• Like 2

Hate these random no-context crossover matches, Tony should have done some vignettes to build up Ollie Watkins and explain who he is and why people should be afraid of him

P sure Swerve was off camera to the right and they just didn't know who he was to include him in the shot, even though the TV commentary shouted him out

Edited by Firebreaker Chip

Orange Cassidy showed up at RevPro (in the UK) this afternoon and defended his title. In a six-way scramble match, obviously.

• Like 2

So I was watching some old Ricky Starks promos from a couple years ago, and damn was Hobbs cool with the fur coat and no shirt. He would fit perfect with the Mogul Affiliates with that look. At this point, though, throwing him straight into another stable would be dumb.

• Like 2

Things I was not expecting today:

a friend sent me a clip of Ice Cubeโ€™s son criticizing AEWโ€™s booking philosophiesย 

(Something like that, I didnโ€™t actually watch it)ย 

• Haha 1

Cube's son seems to be a big wrestling fan, but partial to WWE.ย  I don't follow him on any socials, but I occasionally see his Xweets in my feed that someone else re-xweeted, and he generally seems to be a tribalistic WWE stan.ย 

With that said, the clip going around is him criticizing AEW for announcing matches between "unknowns" and not doing UFCesque video packages to let you know who the wrestlers are before the match.

I don't really watch UFC anymore, but when I did, they typically only do those packages for their headliners, and not prelim fights. And, although AEW does do packages like that on occasion, they do announce matches sometimes, like say Danielson vs Akayama, without giving the viewer any reason to know what that is a big match, or who Akayama is. Which is a fair criticism, but without seeing the full interview, I'm assuming it is being made in bad faith.ย 

• Like 3

Itโ€™s a Chris Van Vliet interview, and heโ€™s very much decided to go the โ€œAnything for Viewsโ€ route. Like he had Velveteen Dream as an interview guest a couple of weeks ago, and totally soft served him. Hulk Hogan before that, and he did the whole โ€œWhite guy absolves other white guy of racismโ€ shit there.

Yeah, I saw some of O'Shea Jr.'s tweets some months back on my For You Twitter tab. Yeah, he's a WWE fan more than a wrestling fan.

Re: UFC video packages

No, they really haven't changed in several years. Anything that's not a title fight or a notable non title five rounder gets the same video reel that they've been doing since 2002/2003. Even the ones that do get a video package, it's very basic and cookie cutter. It's very minimalistic at least compared to what they could be doing. Only for the odd big event here and there do they try to do something different.

Normally, a respectable tattoo artist won't go above the neck or maybe below the wrists so as not to hurt anyone's future employment prospects, social standing, etc.

Darby walks in and the tattoo guy is like, "yeah, no problem."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, I saw some of O'Shea Jr.'s tweets some months back on my For You Twitter tab. Yeah, he's a WWE fan more than a wrestling fan.

Re: UFC video packages

No, they really haven't changed in several years. Anything that's not a title fight or a notable non title five rounder gets the same video reel that they've been doing since 2002/2003. Even the ones that do get a video package, it's very basic and cookie cutter. It's very minimalistic at least compared to what they could be doing. Only for the odd big event here and there do they try to do something different.

Is there a good example that could be shared of what these UFC video packages look like?ย 

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Is there a good example that could be shared of what these UFC video packages look like?ย 

This one is for the first Israel Adesenya vs. Alex Pereira fight (technically like their third or fourth fight counting kickboxing).

This is the infamous No Church in the Wild promo for Aldo vs. McGregor way back in 2015.

This is for the PPV that happened last Saturday.

ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jesus. Arthur Ashe in June sounds like an awful idea. I just remember Roger Federer saying ย that when the roof is closed thereโ€™s hardly any air circulation and the humidity is insane. That was awhile ago, but probably not that long ago. Did they ever add actual AC to it?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Jesus. Arthur Ashe in June sounds like an awful idea. I just remember Roger Federer saying ย that when the roof is closed thereโ€™s hardly any air circulation and the humidity is insane. That was awhile ago, but probably not that long ago. Did they ever add actual AC to it?

When I went to the first Grand Slam, I can testify that I was sitting directly under an AC vent and was sufficiently cold.

I like the venue. I just hate the walk from parking and the subway station to the venue.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 8:31 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

This one is for the first Israel Adesenya vs. Alex Pereira fight (technically like their third or fourth fight counting kickboxing).

This is the infamous No Church in the Wild promo for Aldo vs. McGregor way back in 2015.

This is for the PPV that happened last Saturday.

ย 

These are terrific, and much of what I assumed they'd be. AEW would obviously benefit greatly from putting together similar packages for matches. Even a small amount context counts! Let ppl in on the secret. Especially with a meaningful cold match like Akiyama v Danielson. It's a blindspot that they don't.ย And a bit of a shame.ย 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3