DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVII - 1/27/2024

I'm in 100% agreement that unless Rock magically gets the stamina and durability he had in his prime, he is in no shape to work a main event Mania match. Maybe a hardcore match with a bunch of resting spots but that's not fun. I'd say stash it on a Saudi show that none of us really care about. The only big matches left for Roman are Punk, Lashley, Seth, Orton and Gunther.  Maybe Styles with the OC as backup but we should be there and they're not getting involved. We're getting an Orton match at some point. So there's stuff for Roman to do in the meantime.

A Cody/Punk double elim could be on the table! I can hear the collective groan from the couch.

And yeah Becky/Rhea is the Big Joker they're holding. They need to get to Nia/Becky finished up which will lead to Becky/Rhea. Maybe Nia eliminates Becky and Becky gets revenge? 

But I know I'm going to fry some wings for this Saturday. 

It would be a very Gunther thing to win the Rumble, choose Seth, then appear on SD to explain to Roman why: he wants him to pass Hogan, then pass Bruno, THEN he will be worthy of Gunther taking his title from him. 

Fits the character, gets you Gunther/Seth, Punk/Cody and Rock/Roman at Mania and plants the seeds to Roman/Gunther down the line. 

Edited by For Great Justice

If the consolation prize for Cody not finishing the story this year is we get the biggest match in AEW history, Punk vs Cody, I’m okay with it. Get to knock that off my dream board and probably get Gunther winning the Rumble? As much as I don’t care to see the Rock, that’s not a bad way for things to shake out. 

I think a lot of the Rumble outcome depends on if Rollins can make it to Mania or not.

If it's a case of Rollins being medically cleared but definitely needing to go away for a while for surgery after a la Cody with a torn pec, then it makes it pretty obvious he'd lose unless they're going to vacate the title. In that situation I could see Punk winning the Rumble (which seems the pretty obvious conclusion) and wonder if they'd have Rollins, bad wheel and all, somehow beat Punk then decide to pull the trigger on Priest cashing in (or maybe the next night at Raw when Seth is seemingly going to forfeit the title).

After Monday they really teased Punk and Cody which makes it look like that's on the table for Mania if they need some big match. That match would honestly have enough story to not need a belt involved but leaves the winner of the Rumble in the air. Gunther would be great, but I keep hearing he and Lesnar rumored as a Mania match, which is probably more fan speculation than anything, but I'd like to see it if Lesnar is willing to do business. They could have Lesnar be an unannounced entrant and be eliminated by Gunther, then maybe Lesnar distracts him or whales on him after the elimination causing him to get tossed. Then he defends the IC title against Lesnar at Mania but drops it to a debuting Ilya at the next show.

Rock winning would be stupid and I can't imagine the crowd being happy about it. The EC is up next and maybe Orton wins that to give us Orton/Roman for those titles? I don't care about such a match, but it would make sense and be somewhat fresh. Maybe Roman wins then Rock comes out and gets in his face after, leading to Rock and an Uso vs Roman and the other Uso at Summerslam?

Does anyone else debut in the Rumble? Jade seems like a no brainer. Bron maybe? I really don't want he and Corbin winning the Dusty Cup as I'm not a fan of two singles guys thrown together and beating the established teams.

3 days away and there's 11 men's entrants announced (Lashley being the one Smackdown guy) and only 6 for the women.  I like the potential unpredictability for once and am holding out hope for a surprise win in the women's at least as Becky eliminating Nia to win almost seems too obvious.

• Like 1

I think Braun, Andrade, and Zayn will be surprise entrants. I get not wanting Bron to make an appearance if it won't be impactful, maybe he could eliminate someone big for a Mania match

I would think most of the surprises will be on the women's side because it is damn hard to find 30 women to begin with.  My women's surprises are:

Lola Vice

Fallon Henley

Kiana James

Lash Legend

Wendy Richter (have to play up that Toni Storm thing for the marks)

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

I would think most of the surprises will be on the women's side because it is damn hard to find 30 women to begin with.  My women's surprises are:

Lola Vice

Fallon Henley

Kiana James

Lash Legend

Wendy Richter (have to play up that Toni Storm thing for the marks)

They have at least 33 active women on the main roster as it is.

10 women announced, 17 men as of now.  (With 5 more potentials from the prelim matches.)

And here's the boys talking about their rumble match from last year:

As always, it's most fun when they momentarily drop character and you see their legit respect and love for each other.

• Like 1

Is the new regime when the announcers were now allowed to mention old wrestlers and other companies? Wasn’t expecting to hear the names Great Muta, Bruiser Brody and the Hardy Boys during commentary.

27 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is the new regime when the announcers were now allowed to mention old wrestlers and other companies? Wasn’t expecting to hear the names Great Muta, Bruiser Brody and the Hardy Boys during commentary.

Muta and Brody are in their Hall of Fame and those have typically been fine to bring up.

Naomi's return was a surprise as the last time I watched a TNA show she was champ so I figured she was still under contract. She ended up going quite the distance. I was also surprised they acknowledged TNA and completely shocked when Jordyn Grace showed up. Tony Khan isn't the only one with access to a Forbidden Door! I don't know if Kairi's elimination was a botch, but it looked like both her feet hit when she initially went out. Jade debuting was expected and her dumping a dominant Nia was an impressive way to make her look strong. Dug the faceoff with Bianca. Tiffany Stratton got some nice shine in her debut as well. Going in it seemed like Becky was the obvious winner and when the last three were left I realized I'd completely missed her elimination. Bayley/Rhea is a decent enough Mania option and they've got the added Damage Control drama or potential fallout. This was one of my favorite women's rumbles on account of them not shoehorning a bunch of divas in.

Half the stadium could have taken a dump during the entrances and intro of the 4 way. There was no way Roman wasn't winning so I didn't pay that much attention to the match but what I saw was fairly plodding.

Owens/Paul was decent and the finish was a creative way for Owens to lose via shenanigans. No DQ match at Mania?

The surprise returns/debuts continued with Andrade coming back in the men's rumble. My prediction about Bron debuting turned out being accurate. His faceoff with Gunther was boss even if he did wind up eliminated by Dom. I wondered if anyone from TNA was going to turn up in this match, but there were no other surprising entrants. The match itself was decent if unmemorable. Repeat winners of the Rumble is stupid, especially back to back, but I admit Punk not winning was a swerve.

Cody/Roman with Rock as guest ref at WM?

• Like 1

Things I remember from the 2024 WWE Royal Rumble:

I haven't watched much WWE since Survivor Series. They sure do like using the name graphics these days, don't they

The Women's rumble seemed to be less padded than in previous years. Deeper pool of talent. Jade shows up and wins a showdown with Nia Jax. Jade probably had more fun at the Rumble than she would have had in Bossier City. Bayley wins and goes an hour. Also Naomi is back and also went an hour. And the TNA Women's champ lasted for awhile. We've come a ways from "do any of our 2000s divas wanna work this match"

Welcome to a version of the Roman Reigns title match where he could lose the title without being pinned although they didn't really stress that much. You could tell that certain habits still exist with how they shot LA Knight's strikes.

Maybe Kevin Owens looked a little stupid after outsmarting Logan Paul with the knux. I didn't know Austin Theory was a Logan Paul toadie until I read it later.

Andrade is back. Bron got some shine. Omos returned from wherever the hell he was. R-Truth had a comedy spot go over two matches. Pat McAfee had to be one of those "okay, put him in the match, one of our guys is suddenly unavailable" things. The Usos started out but both went away separately. They really love the "how long has this guy been in it" counters. The final two for this one is certainly something that if I told you 4 years ago. And Cody Rhodes, of all people, has won two Royal Rumbles in a row.

Elimination Chamber starts at 3am Central time. Fucking Australia with your timezones and shit. I'm not watching that live. Cya at Wrestlemannnnnnnnnnia when Roman retains over Cody.

Edited by Cobra Commander