DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

You would think some of the male wrestling fans who would watch would get a clue but yeah don't hold your breath.  I mean the Anna Jay and Ruby Soho one should be played AT live AEW shows just for the reactions

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

You would think some of the male wrestling fans who would watch would get a clue but yeah don't hold your breath.  I mean the Anna Jay and Ruby Soho one should be played AT live AEW shows just for the reactions

You know, I've never been compelled to seek out where wrestlers are staying. Only one time after a 2001 WWF house show (first WWF/WCW match ever as the main event was Taker/Kane v.s. DDP/Awesome) did I try and hang around in the lobby of the hotel that was across the parking lot of the arena. I felt dumb and weird after about ten minutes so I left. Still never happened to bump into any wrestlers I knew about already. I imagine it's harder now since the guys aren't mostly all meatslab mountains like back in the day.

• Like 1

Same, anytime I've seen a wrestler in the "wild" the most I've done is a head nod/wave (my favorite might be Silas Young at the gym since he was somehow as wide as he was tall), if I were with my niece/nephews and it was someone they were a fan of, I might try to approach them, but I'm not tracking them down! 

Skye's comment was kinda sad/funny considering that everytime she wrestles, she trends on Twitter and it's just zoomed in shots/gifs of her butt. I almost didn't recognize Madison Rayne in that clip too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Same, anytime I've seen a wrestler in the "wild" the most I've done is a head nod/wave (my favorite might be Silas Young at the gym since he was somehow as wide as he was tall), if I were with my niece/nephews and it was someone they were a fan of, I might try to approach them, but I'm not tracking them down! 

Skye's comment was kinda sad/funny considering that everytime she wrestles, she trends on Twitter and it's just zoomed in shots/gifs of her butt. I almost didn't recognize Madison Rayne in that clip too.

Skye’s was very funny, and it also took me a minute to recognize Madison Rayne.

Only wrestler I’ve ever seen was Mark Henry, he was with his family at the Austin airport and I was definitely not going to interrupt family time. He is an enormous man.

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

In truth, they should be compiled into a 'Public Service Announcement from the Staff of All Elite Wrestling' that airs every show. 

• Like 1

We stayed at the hotel connected to the arena last year so there were a bunch of wrestlers in our hotel which was pretty neat, but it wouldn't occur to me to bug them.  They don't need to hear my dork-ass wrestling opinions.

It did spoil the HoB return that Buddy Matthews was there wandering around with Brian Cage.

• Like 1

Pestering wrestlers shouldn't be based on size or gender, but even the folks who aren't thought of as big wrestlers are still larger and more athletic than your average human.

As far as seeing wrestlers in the wild...one thing that I still ponder to this day is whether or not it was Rey Mysterio I walked by in an airport once. It was years after he briefly wrestled in WCW without his mask, so I didn't remember what he really looked like or have an understanding of how his appearance would've changed with age. So I was walking through I think O'Hare or JFK, and all of a sudden I see this shorter guy in SPLX apparel (this would've been shortly after he started a sponsorship with them) with a telltale goatee similar to Rey's walking towards me. I was definitely much taller, but whoever this person was, their shoulders were at least twice as wide as mine. 

My first takeaway was "Hey, I think that's Rey Jr...but I'm not sure so I should leave them alone." My second was "If Rey's shoulders are that huge, imagine how big the actual 'big' wrestlers are."

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 1

I moved to Louisville when OVW was still the WWE farm team, so I’d see guys at the gym or out and about. 

Saw Nigel at the gym right after he’d had one of his first Danielson matches in ROH. Just told him I was a fan as we walked passed each other. He seemed genuinely taken aback that someone recognized him and gave me a, “Really? Oh, thanks!”

Saw CM Punk pumping gas (no, he wasn’t working) right after he came to OVW. I didn’t say anything to him. 

• Haha 1

When I was in New Orleans for Mania, I saw Claudio and Sara out walking around. I just walked by and said “good luck Claudio.”  Dont know if he would have recognized me from years of front row at Chikara shows or not. 

• Like 2

All my wrestler in the wild sightings were just lucky Mania town run-ins. Greg Valentine at the same hotel, Hacksaw in a restaurant, Jay Lethal at an indy show he wasn't wrestling on, Shayna Baszler at restaurant. In those cases, it was just a quick nod and wave. I can definitely appreciate them not wanting to be troubled for more than that.

The only time I asked for a picture was Mick Foley whose seat was literally right next to mine at the WWN show in Dallas. He was there because they were doing something to honor Funk and was nice enough to do the pic.

• Like 1

I think the only picture I have is with a certain manager and was really only because it was part of the event package, which included watching a screening of the MX beating Tully and Arn (this was at the Philly Comic Con years ago). 

I don’t think I ever took a picture with someone while I “worked in the business”.

• Like 2

If Shawn autographed that figure, and it’s mid to late 90s, that’s probably worth something.

Yes I watch/listen to too much of the Major Wrestling Figure Podcast.

Hell just an in-box Jakks HBK without an auto is worth something.

Edited by Casey

Only got an autographed 8x10 which I traded for a Jeff Jarrett Slapnuts t-shirt.

The figurine is out of the box and I have no idea why I did that - I was 12 at the time, and my figurines promotion had long since bombed after headlining it with Ted Dibiase vs Ninja Turtle Donatello for way too long. I'll put it on Ebay and see what sticks.

• Haha 1

Every IRL wrestler encounter not related to a show I've had has been pretty random.

A few years ago I saw Sgt. Slaughter sitting on a bench at an airport. I don't think the WWE had a show in town but I was on my way to catch a flight and didn't have a reason to bug him.

Shannon Moore dated and later married a girl I went to high school with (wikipedia says they divorced in 2005). They were at my senior prom together in spring of 1999 but he hasn't been signed by WCW yet so he was just some guy. I left for college later that year but whenever I would be at home working at my old grocery store job I'd see him in occasionally. I recall one time some little kid and his mother recognized him and he talked with them for a few minutes. 

Back in 2007 or so I was at a concert and the opening act were these two midgets who did some comedy bits then had a brawl with eachother. Nate Webb was the emcee for their segment and I went to talk to him in between sets. He was genuinely surprised someone recognized him and was a friendly guy who said working this gig payed more than Ian Rotten did and he didn't have to get dropped on his head.

• Like 3

I remember as a kid in the early 90s I was at a local roller skating rink and me and my dad kept looking at one guy skating around and asking each other "...is that Undertaker?". I am pretty sure he wasn't as in retrospect I don't believe he'd have been tall enough (also the roller skating part), but to this day I'm still kinda bummed kid me didn't have the courage to go up to this stranger and ask him if he was.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, username said:

I remember as a kid in the early 90s I was at a local roller skating rink and me and my dad kept looking at one guy skating around and asking each other "...is that Undertaker?". I am pretty sure he wasn't as in retrospect I don't believe he'd have been tall enough (also the roller skating part), but to this day I'm still kinda bummed kid me didn't have the courage to go up to this stranger and ask him if he was.

Dude, you potentially could've met "Primetime" Brian Lee. You should be happy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude, you potentially could've met "Primetime" Brian Lee. You should be happy.

Funny story: when I was a kid I was getting autographs at the first ECW show I ever went to in Middletown, NY and Lee signed the index card "Bill Dundee".

• Haha 5