DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/27 - 10/3/2023 - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Dolfan in NYC

I have a feeling the "handicap" match at the PPV will somehow be worked in a way to involve constant skullduggery and crutch-shots from the injured Cole. I may think the Righteous stink, but TK seems fairly invested in them and isn't gonna let Max dance all over both of them at once (at least I don't think he will). 

Alvarez's theory last night that they inserted the Righteous into this slot last minute instead of the Kingdom because Cole got hurt is bonkers, especially coming from a guy who has been covering wrestling for a living for ages. The Righteous being pushed for that match was telegraphed weeks ago when they started showing up on AEW instead of ROH and beating people. The Kingdom vs BTYBB is clearly still in the "latter part of a long tease" period. We even have the precedent of BTYBB vs Dark Order (and to a certain extent, Aussie Open) to establish that Max and Cole fight random, lower ranked teams on ppv. I don't have an especially logical mind for wrestling but this one just seems like a no-brainer "this was the plan for the beginning" scenario.

Breezy ep if you only watch the people and segments you want to watch like me. I think AEW is having a bit of an identity crisis right now. The success of the MJF/Cole angle came right as the company was running out of 'dream matches' to book around and It feels like there has been a shift towards more consistent angles and builds since then. There are still whiplash tonal changes throughout the show that can be tough for a viewer to reconcile, like going from SNL bromance sketches to MJF and Jay White trying to cut serious promos, but on a weekly basis the continuity has improved

On that note, Julia and Willow worked well for me. Since women are only allowed one match a show I think it's fair to judge AEW by how well its most underserved division is progressing and there has been an improvement lately. As a whole, the division can't be run with the same booking philosophy as the men for the simple reason that without the decades of history to easily reference the matches require far more creativity and attention to detail to build. It's not too complicated, as Hart going from YouTube afterthought to legit contender in a few weeks proves. It's a shame either Hart or Statlander have to lose on Sunday, they are both on rolls that should continue (although no-win matchmaking is an AEW standard, see Miro/Hobbs). If any division is crying out for modernized JCP-style booking its this one, take a while to concentrate on your top TV acts (Toni, Willow, Julia, Kris, Soho, and I'd argue Nyla Rose if given the chance) and make sure they are world beater stars before bringing in the next contenders (Blue, Baker if she improves) and cycling special appearances (Thunder Rosa, Saraya)

Last week's episode had an attendance and ratings bump, MJF was working hard in his home market to get that but I think it's also because those matches were relatively well built (outside of Mox/Fenix which could get by on the names involved). This week, AEW had a lot of table setting to do and I believe they were successful

• Like 4

Weirdly enough I found those GI JOE videos elsewhere during my undergrad but I did get introduced to the below hilarity via someone sharing it in on DVDVR around the same time (so like 2005? I remember Taue had just won the GHC title. We didn't know how good we had it.)

https://youtu.be/bq1_6D9QS9Y?si=tg1QcB4fzOlkLorx

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Oh yeah I forgot about this but it's a great point...if the Kingdom are involved in the ninja angle somehow then Roddy never explaining why he needs Cole so much seems less like a flub/lazy writing and more a point of intrigue. [b]Tbh I thought the joke was going to be that he needed help going to the bathroom but thankfully they didn't go the Attitude Era poop joke route.[/b]

I dunno, man, the immature part of me would have laughed myself silly if they cut to a stall with Roddy's feet shown underneath yelling "ADAAAAAAM!"

• Haha 6

Turns out the masked ninjas are Punk, Cody, and Jade "invading" AEW.

Subsequent Dynamite, the Brand New World Order are beating down Kenny, Kingston, and/or Dragon in the ring.

JR: Bah gawd! That's... That's MJF's music!

Ex and Tony react with undisguised delight as Friedman makes his way to the ring, putting on the Dynamite Diamond Ring while the BNWO bails out.

MJF pucks up (Omega, Mad King, or Danielson)... and decks them.

JR: Bah gawd! IMJF! MJF has betrayed AEW! MJF is the 4th member of the BNWO!

*and that, my grandchildren, is when Papa Gordlow stopped watching pro wrestling forever*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I am so happy for you getting to experience these for the first time.

But why did nobody tell me you absolutely HAVE to watch them with the subs on?! If you haven't do that, you better watch again!

This is the funniest shit ever. I'm sure I've seen one or two waaaaay back in the day but a whole 16 minutes is beyond me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dynamite was too promo heavy for my liking, even if there wasn't anything wrong with any individual segment. I think the biggest problem was too many "this is going to the next level" type segments, and it lessened all of them. At least the MJF/Cole segments sprinkled in some comedy. You had Takeshita braining Ibushi with like a 20 lb kettle bell, Righteous trying justify their ppv spot, Wheeler getting all serious about toughness and respect to Starks, Darby weathering Christian's shots at dead family members, and Swerve and Hangman going back and forth with a not so subtle metaphor for CM Punk and culminating with a pen-stabbing. I know they have to generate video package material for the almost the whole ppv this week, but I got burned out on the super intense promos the way others get burned out on super intense matches.

Willow/Julia was really good, though. Julia has improved tremendously and is working more character into her matches now as well as getting a lot smoother at the technical stuff. Really looking forward to Julia vs. Stat. Other matches were total filler including two versions of "singles matches of feuding teams," very WWE-ish.

Despite the abundance of promos, I am a sucker for a good mystery angle, and I thought the choice of Jay White being attacked was pretty inspired to give it a chaotic feel. I wouldn't mind Undisputed Kingdom vs. MJF and babyface BCG if they're gonna break up Cole and MJF. Given the way the last Blood and Guts fell apart, I wouldn't mind a quick mulligan.

Edit: Just occurred this could be a way to bring Adam Copeland into AEW too. Imagine a write-off for Cole where he has Roddy cornered and he stops him with "AAAADAM.... But not you"

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Subsequent Dynamite, the Brand New World Order are beating down Kenny, Kingston, and/or Dragon in the ring.

Ex and Tony react with undisguised delight as Friedman makes his way to the ring, putting on the Dynamite Diamond Ring while the BNWO bails out.

*and that, my grandchildren, is when Papa Gordlow stopped watching pro wrestling forever*

Give him the book, Tony.

• Haha 3

I'm really sad to see Hangman ignore the real reason he wasn't happy after defeating Moxley in a Texas Death Match und and reuniting with his "friends" of the Elite - because he 's a shitty person that f*ing abandoned his real friends Uno, Silver and Reynolds. That wasn't cowboy shit, that was shit cowboy! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

Dynamite was too promo heavy for my liking

This is the problem. Dynamite is getting closer to Rampage where it's all character development and no matches, with Collision being "the wrestling show". Used to be there's maybe one of these a month but you wouldn't notice so much. This one was bad enough to where I really noticed. Dynamite shouldn't make me feel like Raw where it's "oh here's another talking segment" and I turn back to the laptop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

This is the problem. Dynamite is getting closer to Rampage where it's all character development and no matches, with Collision being "the wrestling show". Used to be there's maybe one of these a month but you wouldn't notice so much. This one was bad enough to where I really noticed. Dynamite shouldn't make me feel like Raw where it's "oh here's another talking segment" and I turn back to the laptop. 

To be fair, this episode was the Dynamite go-home show for the PPV, and there have been 2 other PPV's within the past month. It's obviously been a bit ham-fisted and hopefully they find some balance, but I much prefer this to earlier in the year when it felt like nothing ever happened for weeks on end until it was time to hype the PPV. 

• Like 2

Viewership spiked during the MJF/Knife Guy segment. It’s almost like folks tuned in as soon as Adam Cole left the screen. Hmm.

Show was a little talk heavy for my tastes, but I was happy my guy Yutes got to say words. Love that dude. Starks on screen is always good. Not surprised Slapleg Jackson went over. Why make big guys look credible if you’re an EVP? Fenix/Jarrett was really fun. Dug the Swerve/Hanger segment, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Gordlow said:

BubububububuBrand New World Order *guitar plays* 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I don't think you could make Takeshita and Guevara a prettier or more hated tag-team unless you made Ezra Miller their manager.

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

That would get over in a flash!

I understood that reference, birthday boy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1