DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/27 - 10/3/2023 - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Dolfan in NYC

Honestly Jarrett beating Fenix in his first defense would automatically make Double J the AEW version of the Miz...the stooge the fans INSIST has X-Pac heat but in reality they'll cough up their hard earned bread each and every week to see if he gets creamed or not. 

(also watching TSN impatiently with the sound off...are there always fistfights in Nascar now???)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

things I remember from this episode of AEW Dynamite

Royals/Tigers went into a rain delay shortly before Dynamite (it was suspended and will resume tomorrow)

Jeff Jarrett makes a smart decision by avoiding the Fenix match-opening dive. Aubrey gets all up in Karen Jarrett's business. Jarrett does the Zero Miedo taunt. Satnam bumps off the apron. Fenix retains without dropping Jeff on his head twice.

MJF and Adam Cole hang out on a boat. Big Show also shows up.

Nick Jackson wins a neat three way. Brian Cage looks like someone doing a Road Warrior Animal tribute. Claudio swings Cage.

The Righteous are doing vignettes

MJF and Cole talk, Roddy comes out and Cole goes off to talk to him. Jay White comes out and they talk forever.

Darby vs Christian is very important to the company says JR

Orange Cassidy wins a 4 way where the big thing I remember is Orange getting kicked by Penta

So Willow is gonna turn heel in 8 months and join the House of Black?

Guessing that Dude Love doesn't come out to help MJF beat the Righteous

Got a main event contract signing (kinda had to pad the show out a little to get 2 hours from it). Oh yeah, this is at the Climate Pledge Arena (which is the name Amazon picked to sponsor the Key Arena). Swerve's really good at the wrestling and such but there's a bunch of uninteresting Swerve-Universe stuff.

This was sort of a come-down show after last week. But they do have 2 more shows before the PPV if they want to inject some heat into the proceedings.

NINJAS ARE ATTACKING SOMEONE TO END THE SHOW

• Like 3

Adam Cole's had bad luck with injuries. Now he's broken his ankle in three places and torn ligaments as well. I'm no Adam Cole fan but I don't like to see any wrestlers getting injured. Get well soon xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

What happened? I fell asleep and missed the show. Thanks in advance.

There were moments where things would sound like they were digitally glitching, especially during talking. This was apparently an issue with folks here watching on TBS. It was mostly annoying but it happened at a particular part of the Darby/Christian promo that made Cage sound like he was a malfunctioning robot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Two big things stuck out during the contract signing from Page.  One feels obvious but his description about the dark cloud sure felt a lot like he was talking about somebody particular.  While it might be a big ol' pile of nothing it was too hard for me not to notice.  I also really loved how he talked about hopefully the next generation won't have to talk about how some get opportunities and the other doesn't.  He says things more on social than TV but progressive Adam Page is somebody I just fucking love.

Anyway, the show was fun and felt like a fun reset after Grand Slam with a fun Colorado crowd to boot.  Yeah, if you want to say it lacked whatever I won't argue but I had fun watching it.  I do feel bad for Cole though I guess I've been conditioned to think "What if he said all that to attack MJF?"  Then he rolled out and I realized it was real.  That sucks.  Thought on the brightside it did show face MJF on his own works quite well and even without Cole they still have a great thing going.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Coletti said:

There were moments where things would sound like they were digitally glitching, especially during talking. This was apparently an issue with folks here watching on TBS. It was mostly annoying but it happened at a particular part of the Darby/Christian promo that made Cage sound like he was a malfunctioning robot. 

Cheers, pal.

I liked this show a lot. It could have used one more match and a shorter talking segment but it was fun all the way through. At the risk of being both petty and redundant (I've seen posts recently about the ugliness of constantly bashing the same wrestler you don't like over and over on here)--it was hard not to take a lot of satisfaction in White letting MJF go first on the mic, get run down as being the Gedo lab experiment gone wrong that he is, then blather on endlessly trying to regain the crowd after being exposed as a pretender. 

I thought Julia looked tremendous and Willow was a great idea for a test run opponent (ie, vs a babyface with size) leading into the match with Stat. 

Contract signing was great and made everyone care about a match with no title on the line. Hopefully they're going to put this on last instead of Danielson/ZSJ. And Swerve should win! It being his hometown gives them a unique opportunity to have his win feel like an enormous feel-good moment but still keep him heel. 

Austin Gunn looked and seemed stoned and/or drunk at times during the 4 way (I thought). 

edit/also: Renee called him "Jon Callis" by mistake right? Or was that part of the audio glitches?

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 3

Boy oh boy this was a crappy one. 

MJF can cut a killer promo but he buries Jay six feet deep. Jay rambles stuff that sounds like the Night Rider from Mad Max only with less energy. Jarrett near completely blows Fenix's armdrag. The Righteous ramble some nonsense while playing with kindergarden arts and crafts (teacher let them use the tape because they're big boys). The three-way is all Slapleg Jackson (TM big andy) and the four-way is worked like they're in a Torneo Cibernetico and everybody has to pair off then split up to let the next group work together for some reason. Ibushi and Takeshita somehow do not know how to brawl at all. SWERVE DOESN'T EVEN LET NANA DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sigh*

But there were a few highlights. Jay Reso (tee hee) and Darby have a good segment despite the audio turning the former into RoboChristian there for a sec. Ex and Taz amusingly yukk it up a little here and there ("He stole your color and your dive" "...and he stole my son", "That's a big body... to guard"). Callis gets hostility to a level way more visceral then I think anyone has anticipated. And we get one good match, in Willow vs. Hart. Willow should have gone lighter on the makeup and maybe even got color, but she was angry and powerful, and Julia was wily and had excellent timing on that finish. 

AND THEN...

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

NINJAS ARE ATTACKING SOMEONE TO END THE SHOW

• Like 2