DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/27 - 10/3/2023 - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

They should run an angle where it turns out there’s so much cult activity in AEW because Doc Sampson is running an MKUltra program on the roster. 

There is an unusual amount of cult activity in AEW between House of Black, The Righteous, and the Dark Order. There should be a three way trios match to determine the number one cult. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Already asked this on the Discord but I need more white dudes with dreads and full sleeves to slot into my "______'s Army" joke for Vincent

If you think I'm watching that video though, to quote a far more talented person, you gotta be JOKING me

Yeah all due respect to the recently departed but it's sad when the most I can say for Vincent is that at least he doesn't also talk in a fake, barf-inducing Looou-eee-zee-anna accent as another more famous race cosplayer did. 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised gimmicks ripping off 18-year old Rob Zombie movies inspired by '70s hillbilly horror are still a thing in wrestling, where Nu-Metal thrives as if it's still 1999.

Dutch has a very good Bossman slam. Vincent does well at putting off "not allowed within 500 feet of high school" vibes, I'll give him that.

• Like 5

I'd never seen the Righteous, but I was kind of into that vignette on Collision. They seem fun. I hope, as I do with all cult-like gimmicks, that they get the chance to add members. Otherwise. they're a real shitty cult.

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Dutch has a very good Bossman slam.

I'm such a sucker for a good Bossman Slam.  I'll rewind that shit 4-5 times.

The Dark Order is kinda here or there since they haven't leaned into the cult thing, but yeah, having The Righteous and The House of Black in the same company is kinda ridiculous.  And, in general, the cult gimmick hasn't really worked in wrestling since Sullivan in Florida, and that was just a different time.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

There's something wrong when you have House of Black, Dark Order, and the Righteous (and even Kip/Butcher/Blade/Penelope/Bunny) all in the same company. You almost need them to come together as a Ministry of Darkness. 

Wouldn't getting organized and performing a merger go against what cults are all about, in general?  🤣  Next, they'd have to form a board and get a health plan.  Reminds me of the scene in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka where the militant recounts the day they marched on a government building and all ended up with jobs.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Wouldn't getting organized and performing a merger go against what cults are all about, in general?  🤣

If anything they should be continually schism-ing based on extremely tendentious readings of holy text and barely subsumed personal animus.

In reality the Dark Order would be continually feuding with the Order of Darkness and the New Reformed Order of Darkness, Scientist over whether the scripture allows you to eat corn on Tuesdays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Just Dave said:

I'd never seen the Righteous, but I was kind of into that vignette on Collision. They seem fun. I hope, as I do with all cult-like gimmicks, that they get the chance to add members. Otherwise. they're a real shitty cult.

See, this is the problem with my joke. They are an "army" with no army. It's just two fucking guys. But that almost makes the joke work better, because they want to be a cult, BUT... it's just two fucking guys. 

So anyway, I've used up 

Rob Zombie

Chris Barnes (Cannibal Corpse/Six Feet Under vocalist)

Rick Ta Life (25 Ta Life vocalist/horse-riding nutbar)

There's got to be more out there, right? We speculated about Drexl from True Romance but he didn't have any tattoos. (And besides, he was black and half-Cherokee... right, Alabama?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Dunking on Rick Ta Life never gets old...

Have the Dark Order recruit The Righteous after a loss for the titles, and then bring back Stu and have him be conflicted about both groups merging. 

Edited by Coletti
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Coletti said:

Dunking on Rick Ta Life never gets old...

Have the Dark Order recruit The Righteous after a loss for the titles, and then bring back Stu and have him be conflicted about both groups merging. 

Funny you mentioned that because it all happened on ROH where no one gave much of a crap and has now just been ignored on AEW TV.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

There's something wrong when you have House of Black, Dark Order, and the Righteous (and even Kip/Butcher/Blade/Penelope/Bunny) all in the same company. You almost need them to come together as a Ministry of Darkness. 

When the company first started, I thought that was no coincidence and assumed there would be some sort of eventual reveal with Dark Order, Nightmare Collective, and Butcher/Blade/Bunny being controlled by the same 'Exalted One' (Brodie had yet to be signed/debut)

24 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Butcher and Blade don’t come off like cult members, but I could see them being the bikers in Mandy who take bad acid and go goblin mode, so they could work as hit men for a cult. 

I dig this a lot, and I'd like more of it in The Righteous' presentation. I feel badly saying it, but I gotta agree with those saying it's just a little too store brand Wyatt Family. I DEFINITELY want a little more late '60s, Easy Rider, Manson Family, Uncle Acid kinda shit going on with them.

Not a spoiler below, but rather thoughts on the week that was. I missed the thread because there's alotta-lotta TV and I'm pretty loyal to the options provided on glorious tape delay. 

Spoiler

Pretty stellar week. Opening strong with the wonderful Claudio v Eddie. I suspect more Kingston big wins at Arthur Ashe to come. Nice Kingston post match promo. I love post match promos – under utilized format choice.

The week in Christian was tremendous fun. And with many thanks to arguably the best wrestler in 2023 - Darby Allin. Stoked for these two hot acts going toe to toe at the PPV.

Roddy also continues to shine in the Neck Strong Era. Excellent comedy sketch. Bennett and Taven are also making the most of their minutes.

Jericho v Guevarra had a nice finish. And lots of love for the post match. Don Callis obviously rules. And Sammy is such a better heel! Nice promo and segment on Rampage. I’m very into this Winnipeg Golden Jets team. Hoping for an Ibushi bounce back.

Go figure, I liked Mox v Fenix much better this time around. Lots of opinions going around on this one. Let us not ruffle any feathers.

I liked Saraya v Toni. Well laid out. I’d love to see Toni do movie quotes ala early Goldust. I’d also like to see Saraya get a couple decisive wins.

MJF v Samoa Joe was fucking wonderful pro wrestling. Hated seeing Cole limping there. Bummer. I hope we can all be appreciate and breathe on what a great week of television this was. The Dynamite Main and Opener and Danielson v Starks bout from Collision. Er, oh yeah, Danielson is the best wrestler.

And if not how bout Jay White. Jay White v Andrade was fucking spectacular. I despise AEW’s decision to allow all these outside ppl and so frequently, but somehow got over it and dug what Juice Ass did with their time. I assume Andrade is WWE bound in the not so distant future, but love how they’ve let  him tear it up on his way out. Jay White’s a star. Also, excellent promo on Rampage to set up this Collision match.

Of what I saw of her matches,  Julia Hart looked very strong. Same to MIKE Santana. I like that there playing out this Ortiz split. Seems like Ortiz might be best to form a new team. His early solo run didn’t show a lot of promise.

I can’t remember anything about the Hung Bucks v Embassy bout. I’m ready to have Madusa show up and toss the ROH Six Man Titles and about 20 other belts in the trashcan. 

RVD/Hook v 2.0 was fun. I like this team. I liked the first CJ Perry promo. Less so this one, but it got the job done. I think this Miro story has some potential.

FTR v Workhorsemen was excellent while it lasted. FTR let them shine nicely. I’d love to see them work back to a rematch that provides a stronger challenge.

What will Kingston v Shibata look like? Wrestledream looks fuckin’ awesome. 

• Like 2