DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/27 - 10/3/2023 - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Dolfan in NYC

56 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Plus he went into that impromptu Dizzee Rascal recitation in his one promo, which seems pretty unchav. Although I'm from Hamilton ON and have no idea what a chav is anyway but I'm assuming it's something similar to a douchebag. 

Tbh the term chav is a bit antiquated in the UK, but it was largely a classist pejorative - and in reality it's entirely possible to be a chav without being a douchebag. To a certain extent, chav culture can somewhat be traced back to the 'football casual' scene of the 1980s which largely comes from guys from the North-West (Liverpool especially) somewhat copying the style of the Panniaro (Panniaro oh oh oh) culture in 80s Northern Italy (especially Milan).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zack Sabre Jr trended on Twitter/news sites at this year's Wrestle Kingdom when making his entrance calling Rishi Sunak a dickhead and to pay nurses a living wage. ZSJ has ripped Boris Johnson a new asshole in previous promos.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Chav is actually an acronym standing for Council House, Anti-social behaviour order (asbo), Violent. But yeah it's antiquated a bit now. ZSJ sounds like a middle-class southerner, and I should know because I'm also one...

Edited by Leonidas
sp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonidas said:

Chav is actually an acronym standing for Council House, Anti-social behaviour order (asbo), Violent. But yeah it's antiquated a bit now. ZSJ sounds like a middle-class southerner, and I should know because I'm also one...

That's a backronym though. It more likely comes from the Romani for child, 'chavi'...a term which was pretty firmly in the vernacular anyway (you hear it used in 'Only Fools & Horses'). As a teenager, I used to hear the terms 'Gary' and 'Pikey' used to describe....'appearing somewhat feral townies'...though I think the latter got more firmly tied to the traveler identity when Snatch got released in 2000 and so 'chav' emerged as the new label of choice.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Never heard of TMDK, but if they got Lanny Poffo to come back from the dead and join that can't be too bad, plus they have SLAPSHOT!

The Mighty Don't Kneel. They are an Aussie faction that mostly operated as tag team (Nichols & Haste) in NOAH until they were picked up by WWE for 3-5 years. Nichols & Haste went by TM-61 in NXT. Jonah Rock/Bronson Reed and Duke Hudson of WWE are former members. When Reed went back to WWE they gained their first non-Aussie members in ZSJ and Kosei Fujita.

Edited by Eivion

I watched Collision earlier and forgot to make a post so now I’m going through a recap so I can list what I liked.

Seeing Juice wrestle (I’m always happy when Juice gets air time)

Toni Storm Portrait of a Star part 2 (I’m not sure which half of that couple I enjoy more, and I fully agree with Nigel’s joke about Toni being out of RJ City’s league)

The stupid shirt Mike Bennett was wearing

Julia Harts entrance (I don’t usually like lip synced entrances, but Julia’s is everything that Scarlett thinks she is in WWE, it looks way more natural and well done)

Julia Harts match

The Righteous entrance (Every time I see Vincent make an entrance I can’t help but think of my close personal, little friend @Just Dave and envision him snapping along with Vincent thinking he’ll somehow make Adam Cole disappear)

Ricky Starks spear, and the botched finish to the main event (What the hell was Dax doing? Lifting his head but not a shoulder?)

Also this is most likely going to be an unpopular opinion but if I were to list the members of House of Black in order of potential I’d rank them like this:

1) Julia Hart (they seriously need to lock her up for as many years as possible)

2) Brody King (I love him in his current role, but I’d like to see him getting at least a midcard push on his own at the same time)

3) Buddy Matthews (I like watching Buddy, but I feel he’d fit in better in Impact and the X Division)

4) Malaki Black (I used to think he was awesome in NXT, but these last few years he’s not done anything for me)

12 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

It doesn't help that he's a chav. I could do without hearing him again.

Never heard of TMDK, but if they got Lanny Poffo to come back from the dead and join that can't be too bad, plus they have SLAPSHOT!

That's Bad Dude Tito, he's got a partner named Latino Meat that I would really like to see take on FTR in one of these open challenges

• Like 1

Also, TIL that if someone tags you in a post and you have them on ignore, you don’t get a notification. I’m not sure why anyone would need to know that, but if you didn’t know, now you do.

Also, if Andrade’s one of those people who hates working for AEW, you wouldn’t know it from what he gave Saturday. I’d love for him to be the next TNT champion…

I really got into Juice/Andrade. I have no idea how el Idolo hits that feinting back elbow without concussing everyone

This was the week I pictured tag teams as singles guys. Could Mark Davis and Dutch be good on their own? Actually they'd be good together too

On 10/1/2023 at 5:04 PM, Just Adam Bay Bay said:

Also this is most likely going to be an unpopular opinion but if I were to list the members of House of Black in order of potential I’d rank them like this:

1) Julia Hart (they seriously need to lock her up for as many years as possible)

2) Brody King (I love him in his current role, but I’d like to see him getting at least a midcard push on his own at the same time)

3) Buddy Matthews (I like watching Buddy, but I feel he’d fit in better in Impact and the X Division)

4) Malaki Black (I used to think he was awesome in NXT, but these last few years he’s not done anything for me)

In terms of potential, like potential to be more than what they are now, I agree with you. It's not an accident your list is from youngest to oldest too, Buddy and Malakai are good but they may be at or very near their respective ceilings. Julia is just starting her career and hopefully has another 10 to 15 years in her, lots of room to evolve. Brody King is probably about half way through his in ring career at this point and now that he's toned down some of the backflips and upgraded his look a little I think there's main event singles potential in him. But to be fair I think that about almost every big guy

• Like 2