DVDVR Message Board

September 2023 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, Log said:

If you threw a dropkick, holy shit! You were a high-flyer!

I started watching in early '91, I think. Even in the time of Pillman and Liger, Ross was still calling Eaton a "high flyer" because of the Alabama Jam. I was so, so confused. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Well, Jim Brunzell did have a good dropkick. And in the AWA, that definitely made you a High Flyer.

not gonna lie, I was a fan of old Jumpin' Jim Brunzell and Greg Gagne during those mid-80s days of AWA on ESPN.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Well, Jim Brunzell did have a good dropkick. And in the AWA, that definitely made you a High Flyer.

Just watched a Jim Brunzell/Damien Demento match the other day and

1) didn’t know Jim Brunzell stayed around the WWF for that long

2) hey there’s scared children looking at Damien Demento shortly before they decided to not push Damien Demento

3) just imagine Damien Demento as Yoshi Kwan in 1993 WCW

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

“I gave my love a chicken…”

Dammit - you beat me to the joke.

I feel obliged to mention that the aforementioned “The Riddle Song” is quite lovely when not played for Animal House laughs; here is a Sam Cooke live version that is a mournful lullaby (this is also shortly after he lost his young son, which makes it hit heavier):

Edited by Hamhock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Just watched a Jim Brunzell/Damien Demento match the other day and

1) didn’t know Jim Brunzell stayed around the WWF for that long

2) hey there’s scared children looking at Damien Demento shortly before they decided to not push Damien Demento

3) just imagine Damien Demento as Yoshi Kwan in 1993 WCW

I think Brunzell did leave for a bit in very late '88 or early '89 but returned somewhere in the early '92 or late '91.

50 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Greg Whiteley's Netflix docuseries 'The Wrestlers' is fucking fantastic.   

It is but man oh man someone needs to keep Eric Darkstorm as far the fuck away from any woman as possible. That dude is a ticking timebomb who is gonna badly hurt a woman one day - if he hasn't already. 

28 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

It is but man oh man someone needs to keep Eric Darkstorm as far the fuck away from any woman as possible. That dude is a ticking timebomb who is gonna badly hurt a woman one day - if he hasn't already. 

Is that his shoot name? Because, if so, A. that's awesome and B. that totally sounds like a future felon.

2 hours ago, Peck said:

Is that his shoot name? Because, if so, A. that's awesome and B. that totally sounds like a future felon.

No, he says his real name in the final episode but I forget what it was. If you haven't watched it yet be prepared to cringe A LOT whenever he pops up on screen. Dude has tattoos for Ron Paul, Che Guevara, 5 Finger Death Punch and other equally shitty ones. He also has some very 1950s views about women wrestling.

Also, Hollyhood Hailey J is apparently a garbage person IRL, and it looks like the show is using her as a top babyface character.

She's a white girl from a wealthy background and is doing a Cultural Appropriation, and is pretty racist when called on it. 

Also she was drinking heavily before her matches, her opponent (Dani Mo) complained to the trainers about it, the trainers called a meeting and said "Nobody is allowed to drink before their match", and as soon as the trainers left Hailey suckerpunched Dani Mo and broke her nose.

Searching out the board for discussion on 'The Wrestlers' I found this comment from @AxB. I'm curious if you've had a chance to see the show?

Concerning Haley J: 'Wealthy background'? No, but a mother in and out of jail throughout her childhood, an abondoned father, raped at 15 and now a single mother wrestling and working at the Holiday Inn. Context counts. It's easy to judge, but one wonders how anybody excels in life with that start. Also, 'Cultural Appropriation' tag feels like a bit of stretch in 2023, but perhaps her being 'pretty racist when called on it' better explains that charge. Top Babyface of the show? No. Well rounded look at an immature person with a lot of life challenges, yes!