DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/16 - 8/22/2023

Dolfan in NYC

27 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

OH MAN!!! I just realized what would have made the TCM Deathmatch the greatest thing ever: pre-tape it at THE HARDY COMPOUND.

When I see it written this way. I imagine a death match between Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2023 at 2:11 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Lol

F3v2lvSXMAkEUuc?format=jpg&name=medium

The pink paint scheme makes me think of the various divas championships. Leather Face run in aside I kinda liked the bit where it felt like one of those over booked Raven's Nest matches in ECW

Opener was strong, really the exact type of wrestling I want to watch.

Didn't care for GOA losing that quickly they are supposed to be monster heels. Prince Nana has become like Daddy Magic a real solid pick up for the company. Like a late round draft pick really panning out.

After this we had what felt like 30-40 minutes of Joker Sting (A plus!) Tony Khan as an onscreen character (a minus) and another MJF-Cole skit that has me growing weary of the pairing and seemingly no wrestling 

On 8/16/2023 at 2:18 PM, Log said:

This is the week! We're going to Collision this Saturday. Cool to see Darby already announced, he's one of my son's favorites. I'm looking forward to seeing him match up with Christian. That's kind of a dream match that I didn't know I wanted until it was announced thing.

So, the story is that we're going to check out this cool toy store in Lexington Saturday. I told the boy we may run by Rupp Arena so he can see where the Wildcats play basketball and maybe check out where our seats are for Guns n Roses in September (yes, I'm taking a six-year-old to see GnR next month). I haven't been to Rupp in a little while, but I think I can pretty much get him into the arena before he realizes that AEW is happening there that night. He's going to lose his mind. My wife said he's told her at least twice in the last week that he wishes AEW would come somewhere close so he can go.

I'm so excited for this. Let's get some more matches announced!

Enjoy tonight, my friend xxx.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2023 at 12:46 AM, DreamBroken said:

Orange/Yuta wasn't quite as excellent as their last match, but still solid. Great to have Kingston back and wasn't expecting Stadium Stampede. 

Callis looked like an idiot for having that picture set up in the ring rather than having it brought out after if Jericho said no, but I'm actually kinda looking forward to Jericho/Ospreay. Liked Sammy making the save since he was the one who said he wouldn't exactly walk out on Jericho like the rest.

Really enjoyed the MJF/Cole segment, thought both delivered strong promos and had me more than ever wanting them to keep it this way with it being face vs face all the way through regardless of the outcome. Laughed at Roderick still chasing after "ADAAAAAAAAAAAM!!" 

Thought The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Deathmatch was hilarious, highlighted of course by the Leatherface run-in. Jarrett should definitely hold onto and defend his newly won Texas Chainsaw Massacre Deathmatch Championship. 

The Acclaimed beating still had me hoping for Billy to make the save. Fun main event, loved all the post-match chaos. Pretty good build to ALL IN all throughout the show. I might've missed it but I don't remember seeing the usual rundown of Rampage/next week. 

I wonder if the plan is eventually to have Sammy/Ospreay for Ospreay's belt?    Maybe bring Sammy into one of NJPW's late shows or a Strong show so Ospreay can have another defense between WK?

I wonder how Sammy would be perceived by a Japanese NJPW Crowd.

Last weeks Rampage saw Brian Cage looking more ripped than I have seen him in a long time. He is a true Goliath to Darby's David as he has been taking it between the eyes every time these guys meet!

The Chainsaw comedy match was fun, I thought the dumping of corn-syrup blood was their way of saying "this is how this is going to be" and that was good. Big win for Jarrett for a change! But he said none of the others would be there (except for maybe Leatherface) and then the whole circus was there the whole time!

The Joker Sting was amazing! The faces he was pulling during the segment and bursting into "Na-Na-Naa-Na" song after saying Nana's name was hilarious but also pretty nuts! Nick Wayne looked good in there.

Hey, I kinda called Jungle Turd retiring the FTW-title (one [ahem]fake world title at a time, please)but I think HOOK will have something to say about that before he can do it!

There were other matches too and some Cole and MJF shenanigans and they were good too.

...oh, and I was supposed to say they don't make comedies like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre anymore, but in fact, they do! The Babysitter is exactly that kind of comedy...

Edited by Shartnado
nevermind...
  • Like 2

Fenix-Komander was a hell of a sprint, played well on some of the comments about people standing around looking dumb waiting for moves to get set up. Everything flowed well, looked stiff, and was spot on, although I could’ve done without them throwing in the house style forearm stand-off. Fans were hot for the match, not surprising after sitting through 90 minutes of dogshit up to that point.

Aussie Open’s finishing sequence was great. Match itself was fine.

Ugh, the Righteous. Hard pass.

I didn’t even catch the name of Sammy’s opponent. Total squash. Eh.

Lots and lots of backstage and pre-filmed stuff, ranging from fine to innocuous. Felt kinda WWEish.

Main was great. I don’t think there’s any question at this point that Skye belongs in the upper card, although she also matches extremely well with Ruby and Toni having wrestled them so much this year. Quite stiff, everything hit hard and smooth (Toni really made Skye’s spinziguiri look like a natural move), some good hope spots and near falls. At one point near the end the producers got camera cut happy but then they settled back on the hard cam, thank god. I might quibble that Ruby’s shoulders weren’t really pinned well. Aftermath was nice and chaotic, wish they had focused a couple more times on Ruby and Skye brawling outside and hadn’t already spoiled their match announcement for Dynamite.

So they really need to have a great show tonight. Christian vs Darby is basically a dream match for me. Dalton vs White should be great if they give it time. Everything else is going to primarily be build to All Out (and to a lesser degree All In) I think, but they need a spark of something.

• Like 5

'Powerhouse Hobbs in Action' is not a booking I ever particularly look forward to. I'm a fan of Willy, but he's rarely if ever a great squash artist. He's far more fun to watch in competitive bouts. If 'In Action' means doing some time with An 'Andretti' say then I'm game, but I suspect it's mean mugging and a quick spine on the pine for a local.

I wonder what the thinking process behind splitting he and Starks was? It continues to feel like a faulty decision. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

'Powerhouse Hobbs in Action' is not a booking I ever particularly look forward to. I'm a fan of Willy, but he's rarely if ever a great squash artist. He's far more fun to watch in competitive bouts. If 'In Action' means doing some time with An 'Andretti' say then I'm game, but I suspect it's mean mugging and a quick spine on the pine for a local.

I wonder what the thinking process behind splitting he and Starks was? It continues to feel like a faulty decision. 

I am more bothered that you have a hell of a talent like Kevin Ku and that is the best you think of doing with him.   Good that he got a good response from the crowd.

I still don't understand why Toni Storm is now dressing and acting like Judy Garland.   The older bitter "NO MORE WIRE HANGARS" version

Edited by hammerva

That's Joan Crawford, not Judy Garland

Anyway, another great show, from the closed captioning telling me Joe said "things will continue to get real violence around here" which tickled me to death. Well, the Golden Vampire thing was really stupid and I don't buy Joe staying down for one crappy GTS. White/Castle (heh) was really good and ran right into BC Gold/Iron Savages which was the same. Juicey Boy just won't shut up and it's the best. Infinite boos to Ass Boy with the True Grit tattoo though, motherfuck John Wayne. Dalton also took a ridiculous Jerry bump that was only rivalled by some of the stuff Darby came up with later. Starks got in his pose in mid-whip! Kevin Ku got a chant! There was a long women's match (little slow but hey)! Then we got your gold-standard Chris-tee-ann Cage (TM Nigel) TV Match. The bump on the apron was contrived but the one where Darby got rubber-banded in the ropes and smacked down face first was nasty. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I am more bothered that you have a hell of a talent like Kevin Ku and that is the best you think of doing with him.   Good that he got a good response from the crowd.

That bummed me out so much. It would be one thing if Dark was still around and he was brought in for a competitive squash against a roster member, but making a dude who should be in AEW such a geek was a waste

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Infinite boos to Ass Boy with the True Grit tattoo though, motherfuck John Wayne.

I assumed it was for the remake. Likewise, I don't think they named their finisher 3:10 to Yuma because they're big Van Heflin fans

• Like 1

I was bummed when they brought in Billie Starkz for a 7 minute nothing match against Britt Baker but, y’know, it worked out in the end I think. She’s probably about to be in a match with Athena for the ROH Women’s title.

I think Kevin Ku will be just fine. I’m sure he didn’t balk at the idea of doing a squash on national TV.

• Like 1

Was something up with the house audio? I swear the crowd was really quiet for the first few matches but you could hear every word the wrestlers in and around the ring were saying. The Iron Savages and Miro are tied with promo of the night. Wasn't Ku one of those people stuck in MLW contract purgatory? He'd be a good fit for ROH if they want to bring him back more.

I thought they were quiet on the Willow/Diamante match, kinda like the ROH crowd on Thursday, but picked up by the end. 

Complaining about the house audio is par for the the course with AEW but I actually didn't feel that the announcing was buried tonight. Of course this would happen the night they bring back fucking Kevin Kelly. 

BTW, this was definitely "Fuck With Tony" Night. The faces he was pulling the whole time BC Gold were tormenting him were tremendous. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1