DVDVR Message Board

July 2023 Wrestling Discussion

7 hours ago, AxB said:

And because Vince hadn’t yet learned the importance of having a good lawyer, the name Hulk Hogan ended up copyright of Marvel comics.

You can't copyright a name.

7 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I believe Disney's copyrights for those expired like a decade ago as stipulated in the original contract.

Based on a quick Google search, Bollea had to buy the trademarks back from Marvel in 2005. But none of the sites cited struck me as particularly reliable, so who knows.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Disney already own Hulk Hogan. Before Vince had Jerry McDevitt, he nicknamed the Hulker “The Incredible Hulk Hogan” and Stan Lee said No You Don’t.

And because Vince hadn’t yet learned the importance of having a good lawyer, the name Hulk Hogan ended up copyright of Marvel comics.

The genius of Hollywood Hogan was that Marvel didn't get a cut of the merch money like they did for Hulk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tbarrie said:

You can't copyright a name.

Based on a quick Google search, Bollea had to buy the trademarks back from Marvel in 2005. But none of the sites cited struck me as particularly reliable, so who knows.

I remember weirdly for a minute when Hulk Hogan became Hollywood Hogan again because the rights ran out. then he relicensed them

Stolen from a month-old reddit post, here's the contract between Titan and Marvel.  The key points:

• WWE cannot use the word "incredible" in association with Hulk Hogan.

• WWE cannot refer to Hulk Hogan simply as "Hulk."

• WWE cannot register "Hulk" or "Hulk Hogan" as a trademark.

• WWE can license Hulk Hogan in a variety of ways, as long as it is consistent with his television character. They cannot use green or purple in association with Hulk Hogan.

• WWE cannot use Hulk Hogan in comic books, but can use him in coloring and storybooks.

• Marvel would get .9% of Hulk Hogan's gross merchandise revenues, $100 for each match Hogan participated in, and 10% of WWE's earnings of any other earnings on outside projects* using Hulk Hogan (or 10% of earnings if WWE was not involved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2023 at 10:36 PM, Sparkleface said:

I think this is our lesson of the evening, along with "nothing good comes from Discord".

I'm still catching up on everything but this is what happens when I'm on vacation for three weeks.  Wish I had a mod that I could rely on but I'm more of a control freak than I would like to be.  I'm bummed that conversation devolved the way it did but that shit ain't happening on there again.

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Stolen from a month-old reddit post, here's the contract between Titan and Marvel.  The key points:

• WWE cannot use the word "incredible" in association with Hulk Hogan.

• WWE cannot refer to Hulk Hogan simply as "Hulk."

• WWE cannot register "Hulk" or "Hulk Hogan" as a trademark.

• WWE can license Hulk Hogan in a variety of ways, as long as it is consistent with his television character. They cannot use green or purple in association with Hulk Hogan.

• WWE cannot use Hulk Hogan in comic books, but can use him in coloring and storybooks.

• Marvel would get .9% of Hulk Hogan's gross merchandise revenues, $100 for each match Hogan participated in, and 10% of WWE's earnings of any other earnings on outside projects* using Hulk Hogan (or 10% of earnings if WWE was not involved.

I think Hulk Hogan might be responsible for keeping Marvel afloat during their lean years

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Does that mean I shouldn't skip Jericho/Kamander when I watch my DVR of Dynamite tonight?

It's...fine.  Jericho can't really base effectively anymore and Komander isn't super-accurate with his spots so there are some rough bits.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

DAMMIT DAVE

07/11 WWE NXT

• Ilja Dragunov vs. Bron Breakker: 4

07/12 AEW Dynamite

• Chris Jericho vs. Komander: 4

I mean, if you ever needed 100% proof that Chris is Meltzer's main contact within All Elite...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Does that mean I shouldn't skip Jericho/Kamander when I watch my DVR of Dynamite tonight?

I don't do stars or watch NXT but I thought it was fine, it gets better after the early stretch..

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

Rough indeed

I'll give Jericho this: he was game to try a bunch of stuff with Komander even if he can't really execute.  And he bumped nicely for a couple of headscissors.

That blown codebreaker counter, though: Oof.

• Like 2

Okay, so I was reading through Roddy Piper's wiki and came across this:

In the Los Angeles area, Piper feuded with Chavo Guerrero Sr.,[18] and his father Gory Guerrero. Piper and Chavo Guerrero faced each other in several matches for the Jules Strongbow Memorial Scientific Trophy

This was sometime between 1975-1979. Which would mean Jules Strongbow wasn't even 30 yet. Anyone know what the hell this is about?

17 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Okay, so I was reading through Roddy Piper's wiki and came across this:

This was sometime between 1975-1979. Which would mean Jules Strongbow wasn't even 30 yet. Anyone know what the hell this is about?

It was named after former wrestler and Los Angeles promoter Jules Strongbow, the WWF Jules Strongbow was a totally different guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1