DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/14/2023

Dude, I heard 'Eddie, Eddie' too but you make a really good point. Kenny certainly, based on his body language, thought they were chanting 'Kenny' but I'm honestly not so sure. I'm gonna have to rewatch that later

My headphones tell me there's definitely a mix of 'Eddie, Eddie' and 'Kenny, Kenny'. What a joy reviewing this footage. Ospreay's reacharound kick on Kenny is fucking awesome! 

• Like 4

My headphones tell me there's definitely a mix of 'Eddie, Eddie' and 'Kenny, Kenny'. What a joy reviewing this footage. Ospreay's reacharound kick on Kenny is fucking awesome! 

Good look, mystery solved! And agreed, Ospreay looked like a million bucks out there (and FWIW I thought the hype video they've been airing recently helped tremendously with the reception he got - I'm very pleased with the extra attention to that in this year's build so far). 

Everything about the closing match/segment just f'n ruuuuuuuled. I feel like I used to say this a lot more in the early days, but having cut my teeth on Nitro, there's maybe nothing I appreciate more than a chaotic 'We're outta time!' ending. This just clicked on every single level for me - we were super long overdue for one of these IMO. 

--

Edit: Question for the more avid than I NJPW/BritWres viewers -

To paraphrase the great Dave Grohl, I've got another confession to make: I've seen one single ZSJ match ever, against Kurt Angle around 7 or 8 years ago (it was fine). Anything must-watch I should get in before the PPV?

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 5

While I'm thinking about it, one thing they got away from and should get back to is small tournaments that they can run yearly (I know they have the Owen Hart Cup, but that's special). Maybe a King of Trios style thing, where you get a trophy (and if I book it, the first thing that the winners will do is to put the trophy well away from them, and say "Whoever was going to break that trophy over my head, just come out and challenge me instead") and a title shot of some kind down the road. Just it will give a reason for all those random but awesome matches that AEW seems to throw out there.

Maybe something like what AAA is/was doing towards Triplemania. "Foes unite", where the losers advance along the tournament where the last two fight in a consequences match (either hair/mask, or have to leave AEW for 90 days or something similar, for workers doing an excursion to Japan or ROH, or even come back ala Stagger Lee, the Yellow Dog, or the Midnight Rider)

• Like 2

Hey guys, it's been a busy day. Let's see if I remember anything.

• Cole vs MJF: Oh yeah, this happened. So this was ok! This was actively ok. It was pretty good. I liked it. Not all of it. I wish the arm damage played into the last third a bit more (as it was, the armwork helped the match be good overall though by minimizing some over the top things). the two apron bumps were pretty rough and I'm not sure about their placement in the match. I accept the strike exchange but didn't love it. I thought it was pretty well structured overall knowing they were going 30 but I would have liked it more as a match overall at 20, but it served its purpose well at 30 so good for it. I liked the late match shenanigans. MJF has a lot of credit as a shitheel that lets him do certain things that others wouldn't from a narrative level so good on him. I liked 90% of what Cole did but wish he wouldn't do the fireman's carry into a skull breaker thing. That's one of those moves that provides some dissonance. Overall though, I thought this was good. Good for them. Bring on the eventual rematch however they get there.  
  • What else? The 8-man tag? For some reason I thought it'd be the usual Sting brawl-around-the-arena and it was actually a conventional tag. For all I said good about Keith Lee the other day, he struggled a bit here, but whenever he actually landed something, it looked awesome, so maybe it's just time to reevaluate his own capabilities and play towards what makes him unique and his current strengths. AT one point, that might have been being a big guy who works a super indy spot-style but now, in 2023, just being a big guy who looks super credible and has a presence to him makes him stand out even more somehow! Lean into it. This was fun though. I just was expecting a crazy brawl.
  • Oh Hager vs Wardlow was fun. Just a bomb fest. Not a lot to say about it. They can always run this one back. Look, it's been a long day. I still have to watch Skye/Storm later. 
  • Like 2

I did not like the main as much, but the Bucks are much more tolerable with Page than Omega. It’s still a bit galling to watch them go toe to toe with Swiss Claude and Mox, and their strikes are fucking appalling, but the angle after was so good it almost doesn’t matter.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 1

AEW Chyron: still undefeated.

I'm so glad they're back. At Full Gear '21 when Hangman was challenging Kenny and it read "we're proud of you - the graphics team," i teared up a little, like for all of Hangman trying to find his place and his history with the Elite and Dark Order, that the story was there were people that did have his back, even including the graphics department

• Like 6

To paraphrase the great Dave Grohl, I've got another confession to make: I've seen one single ZSJ match ever, against Kurt Angle around 7 or 8 years ago (it was fine). Anything must-watch I should get in before the PPV?

I’m a sucker for anytime ZSJ and Ishii wrestle. I don’t think those are generally considered among his “best” matches by the consensus, but they’re  a great match of opposites, and it really highlights what Zed does best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

--

Here’s a fun recent one vs Jeff Cobb. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I’m a sucker for anytime ZSJ and Ishii wrestle. I don’t think those are generally considered among his “best” matches by the consensus, but they’re  a great match of opposites, and it really highlights what Zed does best.

I somehow forgot Ishii earlier. He definitely needs to be booked on Forbidden Door.

• Like 3

Hey Tony,

It’s me.  Bones.  I know you’re reading this. 

Great show, Bud.  That ironic Eddie spot with the belt was THE shit.  Kudos, credit, and points.  What a finish.  Was that the best time limit draw?  Rare to go for that finish and actually succeed in it being satisfying.  

I’d maybe rethink having MJF going in the crowd and making contact.  If it’s not a plant it’s a bad idea.  

I’m probably going to hang on this match for awhile like I did for that Rollins/Neville title match.  If this shit ever gets an archive it’ll be this dark horse match that new fans 10 years from now can get a surprise from. 

I saw that Punk advert and immediately had an irritated reaction.  I’m mad at him and it’s completely irrational.  

Sammy makes me smile.  Sure, he is a big dope man boy.  But we are watching him grow up on tv.  Get a beard when the kid gets here.  Never wear a t-shirt on tv ever again.  Go ask Cody for some suit advice.  No.  Fuck that.  Ask Wardlow.  This is a good time to separate Sammy from Jericho.  

Adding Darby and STING to the mix was performed flawlessly by all four guys.  But little did we know it was all a ruse to jump start the 8 Man Tag Entrances.  Smooth.

Took me awhile to figure out what Brian Cage was doing with his STING tribute gear.  Another really enjoyable match that made me glad to see the Embassy.  This has never been a thing before.  

Skye sure has come a long way.  She reminds me of AJ Lee when she was still new on tv.  Toni Storm is hitting a stride.  Willow was looking super cute.  Come to Butt-Head.  

I think keeping Bryan on the mic the last few weeks is a skillful move.  We ARE getting the Okada match.  One fucking way or another. That is all that matters.  

I’d imagine after the subplot of Yuta catching a loss again will get him some shit.  

I am pleased.

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 8

Last night was a pretty good show. Loved the chaotic ending with Eddie Kingston and Will Osprey showing up. Cole vs. MJF was a good match. Only wished they played up the time left in the match a bit more like they did in the old days. Gary Michael Cappetta counting down how much time was left and the heel champion desperate to ride out the clock was always good television. 

• Like 4

Zack Sabre Jr vs. Will Ospreay, ZSJ vs. Katsuyori Shibata and ZSJ vs. Tomohiro Ishii.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NO

I actually liked the opener , just hope they go their own separate ways instead of using the time limit draw to milk a rematch

only complain I have about anything to night would be the dumb ref distraction in the ladies match, loved the hug AEW us all friends wrestling! Skye with turn about is fair play with the spray was great! Nice to see Ruby took time off from singing for Lorna Shore 

KEITH LEE reads the board! No spots just meat slapping! Him hossing up to Toa was Hoss Spot of the year! Also we got an actual tag structure in an AEW multi man tag!

OC calling out the interrupted promo was fun

Middle aged boy wonder Brock having his dads back was a nice touch

Only a great fool would do the Young Bucks pose alone in the car when Kansas comes on the classic rock station (or the half assed thumbs up for Jane) I am such fool.

Adam Cole and His Young Bucks ; Western swing band

Loved the chaos ending the show, referenced Eddie and MOX being frenemies (Eddie seems to be bellying up to the same bar as Dax) you know I usually hate run ins with music but after all the music Bruv Osprey just poping up out of no where was a true surprise , re-reading Hardcore History this felt like one of Ravens self described 12 part finishes 

• Like 5

It got talked about on the board a little at the time, but ZSJ's 2022 New Japan Cup run is pretty legendary. If you go by WON ratings, 4 matches at 4.5-stars or higher over the course about three weeks, with two five-star matches happening within a week of each other.

- ZSJ vs. Ospreay, 3/21/22

- ZSJ vs. Shingo Takagi, 3/26/22

- ZSJ vs. Tetsuya Naito (their rivalry is really fun, watch any singles match they have), 3/27/22

- ZSJ vs. Okada, 4/9/22 (technically not part of the tournament, but the match happened as a consequence of it)

After or instead, just watch all of his NJPW TV title defenses. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Going to be very interesting to see if they drop the Jungle Boy part of his name. I mean, would you be scared of the heel Jungle Boy? Jungle Jack Perry sounds a bit.. well.. more heelish.

They’ve been emphasizing “Jack Perry” for a bit now (probably a JR idea) I agree that Jungle Boy sounds like an Indy gimmick while Jungle Jack Perry ( or just Jack Perry) sound like a pro wrestler who can work main events , kinda like Cena dropping the rapping

• Like 2

Big disagree with you (and your mother, sorry!). Those boots are incredible, like something Vince Noir would wear in the Mighty Boosh and sit perfectly with Jericho's faded rock idol/Rex Manning 

Exactly if aging rock star Chris Jericho didn’t dress ridiculous it would be massively out of character and I would be personally offended 

• Like 5

We already seem to have some 'best' category bouts, some of which I've had the pleasure to see and can also vouch for (the Ishii battles and that terrific Cobb bout posted). I think it might be worth your checking out his current Khan promotions work to fully appreciate the Elite version of ZSJ. In particular that excellent Action Andretti match from the Championship edition of Rampage a couple weeks back. Also, I don't think you're alone, but perhaps you're sleeping on ROH2K23!? Sabre's been a highlight of each show he's been on, and on top of his excellent in-ring he's getting some solid mic work in. The AR Fox and Blake Christian title defenses on ROH were really fun TV bouts. As has been the build to his TV title v TV title feud with Joe (including an uneasy partners match against Sydal/Daniels). The match with Joe is what I presumed would be booked for Forbidden Door, but maybe they'll save that for the Death Before Dishonor PPV. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cage in Sting tribute gear needs to get a time machine so he can go back in time and get rich off every 80s money mark.  My dude looked like every unlicensed video game "painted muscle guy" archetype character, like he was straight out of Konami's The Main Event or something.

Some wrestlers are before their time.  Then there's Cage, who is 30+ years too late and would have taken ALL of 1987 Vince's money, his first born, and possibly the deed to his house.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Wouldn't Cage have been too short for 1987 Vince? Because he's nowhere near 6 feet tall, and Vince's size-markism went up as well as sideways.

• Like 3

Cole/MJF lost viewers, but not a lot. Puzzlingly low rating given the shows content, but I’m starting to wonder if it’s just gonna be that way.

There really doesn’t seem to be a ton of noticeable reasons for the dips and spikes in the viewers. It always seems like the blow away shows dip in the ratings and then some random show spikes up. I kinda stopped paying attention to it, although obviously I’m super curious about what the next deal ends up being. 

• Like 3

That was easily top-to-bottom one of the best editions of Dynamite in a while. The crowd was hot for the whole show for once, which is important. Those Vegas crowds were garbage. Hot finish to the show too with Will Ospreay attacking Omega, which was executed perfectly.

Cole/MJF was a good start to the show. They timed that finish beautifully.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 5