DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/14/2023

According to the FITE app: Adam Cole vs AEW World Champion MJF. Sting, Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy, and Keith Lee team up to face the Mogul Embassy.  

The Young Bucks & Hangman Adam Page take on the Blackpool Combat Club. Skye Blue challenges Toni Storm for the AEW Women's World Title. Hang on. Gotta check what else has been announced and also type up some thoughts. Give me 15-25 minutes or thereabouts.

'Kay. So:

Returning to Washington DC, site of the first Dynamite. Totally STACKED card to celebrate.

Eliminator: "Super Jacked Roid Beast" Adam Cole vs "Low Hanging Fruit" Friedman

This should be good, as should the subsequent re-match. But I REALLY hope they don't headline Forbidden Door  with this. I don't think they can  successfully follow Bryan vs Okada and Kenny vs Ospreay, and I'd prefer the PPV make an AEW vs NJPW match the main event, to fit with the theme.

TNT Title Match: Wardlow vs Hager

Was it my namesake that Hager fought in that MMA cage match? I think it was. I might have been the highest voter on that one. It would be easy to look it up but I'm a little pressed for time. Probably this will involve Luchasaurus interference anyway.

Ladies Title Match! Storm vs Skye

Needless to say, that's a natural match-up. Hopefully, and most likely, they will just lay it in. Should be pretty great. Also extremely callipygian. 

Swerve, Gates, & An Actual Jacked Up Roid Beast vs Limitless, Sting, Darby, & Orange!!!

I'm most stoked for this one. Big Meaty Men Slapping Meat plus two great bumpers getting tossed around plus strange style. Yowza. 

Also the discussion in last week's Dynamite thread (with the "new" poster I still kinda 15% suspect is Goodear in disguise) has me somehow even MORE stoked to see how Keith Lee fights here. I hope him and Brian Cage just do endless springboard flips. The reaction to that, on here, would be my garmonbozia.

BCC vs The Elite

Following up Anarchy with Mox Claudio Yuta vs Hung Bucks! Hell yeah! 

Totally stacked show. Can't hardly wait.

• Like 8

It's just something Drew fixates on.  He's admitted that.  He's a decent poster.  I like to think I'm okay-ish, but I struggle to let it go, for example, when JR says something stupid or when MJF cuts a shitty crowdbaiting promo.  We all have those little things that bug us and might post too much about.  There's a little just drew in all of us.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

It's just something Drew fixates on.  He's admitted that.  He's a decent poster.  I like to think I'm okay-ish, but I struggle to let it go, for example, when JR says something stupid or when MJF cuts a shitty crowdbaiting promo.  We all have those little things that bug us and might post too much about.  There's a little just drew in all of us.

I think most of us tend to keep it in line better though. Like you I’m not big on those parts of MJF’s promos, but I don’t make a point to rail on it weekly or claim it will be the lowest rated segment.

Drew tends to troll harder than necessary, and it feels like he’s working a silly gimmick that only Cornette’s cult would get behind. 

• Like 7

To me, the biggest thing that comes out of tonight is getting a better sense of Collision, more Forbidden Door matches, an announcement on if the Jarrett/Lethal/Karen vs Briscoes/Aubrey match will be on Rampage.

I fully believe that MJF and Cole will have their working boots on to prove something but it'll probably create a sort of match that I'd like less than if they worked it in a much simpler, more grounded way. I do think others will like it a lot.

The only thing I'm interested in for BCC vs Elite is Danielson's commentary, but his commentary should be really great. 

Wardlow vs Hager should be fine in a bubble, but I'm curious what Christian might do here if anything. 

And the Mogul Embassy vs Dudes with Attitude should be absolutely amazing. Ancient Sting is going to do something stupid with his body onto Toa! Absolutely can't wait for all of the interactions here. 

I'm excited for Skye to be in this spot. I'm excited for Toa to be in this spot. I'm happy for Kaun too. 

This is a show I am half interested in, but that's ok because I've got some random wrestling from Hamburg from 1993 I have to watch for Friday.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

And the Mogul Embassy vs Dudes with Attitude should be absolutely amazing. Ancient Sting is going to do something stupid with his body onto Toa! Absolutely can't wait for all of the interactions here. 

Gotta second this - thrilled to see those guys getting TV time (for the second time in a month, no less) and Stiiiiiiing! doing some of his late-era Terry Funk cover tunes would be the icing on the cake. Big stoked for this one.

On another positive note: Since TK confirmed no 'hard' roster split yesterday, I'm way more excited now (rather than dreadful) about potential Collision announcements tonight. I'm INFINITELY more interested and excited for a full-on AEW show, than two hours of 'Punk and Friends' doing 'glass ceiling' promos and 'prison break' vignettes.

Re: MJF/Cole - depending on finish here, I can't see the title match being on the FD card unless it opens the main show. No offense to either guy (and LORD knows I've gone to bat for Cole a bunch this week 😘) but there is zero chance they could or should follow either announced match. 

With FD coming up, I've been thinking recently about MJF's open disdain for NJPW, talking crap about it at the presser last month, things like that - I almost wonder if the move with him is a show-long non-match angle. Maybe he cuts an early-show promo about how he's not wrestling those NJPW losers in front of their dork fans, show him in his luxury box shaking his head derisively during the card a few times, then you pay it off just before the main by having him get chased off by Suzuki - he gets a couple chops in, 'Kaze Ni Nare' to a cheering crowd, MJF is backing up the ramp, Cole gets him from behind, and now you can run Cole/MJF for the title at Wembley, All Out, Grand Slam, a random Dynamite in Cedar Rapids, IA, whatever.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
I keep forgetting September is All Out, not All In.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

To me, the biggest thing that comes out of tonight is getting a better sense of Collision, more Forbidden Door matches, an announcement on if the Jarrett/Lethal/Karen vs Briscoes/Aubrey match will be on Rampage.

When Jeff was promoing at the top of this week's podcast, he said Aubrey is going to "get paint-brushed from one end of DC to the other." So... maybe! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Gotta second this - thrilled to see those guys getting TV time (for the second time in a month, no less) and Stiiiiiiing! doing some of his late-era Terry Funk cover tunes would be the icing on the cake. Big stoked for this one.

On another positive note: Since TK confirmed no 'hard' roster split yesterday, I'm way more excited now (rather than dreadful) about potential Collision announcements tonight. I'm INFINITELY more interested and excited for a full-on AEW show, than two hours of 'Punk and Friends' doing 'glass ceiling' promos and 'prison break' vignettes.

Re: MJF/Cole - depending on finish here, I can't see the title match being on the FD card unless it opens the main show. No offense to either guy (and LORD knows I've gone to bat for Cole a bunch this week 😘) but there is zero chance they could or should follow either announced match. 

With FD coming up, I've been thinking recently about MJF's open disdain for NJPW, talking crap about it at the presser last month, things like that - I almost wonder if the move with him is a show-long non-match angle. Maybe he cuts an early-show promo about how he's not wrestling those NJPW losers in front of their dork fans, show him in his luxury box shaking his head derisively during the card a few times, then you pay it off just before the main by having him get chased off by Suzuki - he gets a couple chops in, 'Kaze Ni Nare' to a cheering crowd, MJF is backing up the ramp, Cole gets him from the behind and now you can run Cole/MJF for the title at Wembley, All In, Grand Slam, a random Dynamite in Cedar Rapids, IA, whatever.

You don’t want to encourage a camera in a suite with MJF. Unless they learned something from the bullshit at Grand slam leading to his title win. Split screens and unnecessary shots galore. That said, good creative. I think I’d say just shorten it to MJF v Minoru Suzuki. Let Suzuki wear him out with his chops and such and then take a loss. Like Jungle Boy v Roosh, so to speak!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

You don’t want to encourage a camera in a suite with MJF. Unless they learned something from the bullshit at Grand slam leading to his title win. Split screens and unnecessary shots galore. That said, good creative. I think I’d say just shorten it to MJF v Minoru Suzuki. Let Suzuki wear him out with his chops and such and then take a loss. Like Jungle Boy v Roosh, so to speak!

Ah, man - I completely forgot about the complaints about the cutaway shots because we were there live, and I only re-watched once as soon as we got in (still rocking my $17-per-Amstel Light buzz). Perhaps you've got a point!

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Also, appreciate your compliment on that idea.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't think I'll be catching this one until next week, as I should be out with friends in South Philly this evening. I like that we're getting lots of newer faces. Skye getting rewarded for working so hard (she's done just about every house show I think). More Gates of Agony. This is all good stuff with even more time to fill.

• Like 2

Well, I won't be dining at a James Beard award winning interior Mexican restaurant tonight but I do have some beers and I have a lot of experience watching Dynamite in hotels (although it now reminds me of DEAN~! 😢 ) so let's go Skye! Ready to root for shithead Yuta while sitting in his hometown.

• Like 3

Where do I begin?  So much was packed into this fucking show LOL it was insane.  But it flowed really nicely, it felt like peak AEW for sure.  

That Forbidden Door II card is CRAZY.. 

You know what,  I really liked MJF vs. Adam Cole also.  I actually CARED about an Adam Cole match. 

• Like 12

Loved this show.

MJF and Cole did the impossible: They made me want to see another MJF vs Cole match

8 man and TNT title matches were just some fun pro rasslin and helped set up multiple things I'm looking forward to.

Skye Blue got me on the false finish with her own spray. Good underdog match.

Main was great with an incredible post match that gave me ECW mixed with peak Nitro craziness vibes that set up some great stories for the future. Plus the additions to Forbidden Door make me even more happy I get to see it live 

Excellent pro wrestling television. Huzzah AEW!

Edited by GodzillaPerez
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

Well, I won't be dining at a James Beard award winning interior Mexican restaurant tonight but I do have some beers and I have a lot of experience watching Dynamite in hotels (although it now reminds me of DEAN~! 😢 ) so let's go Skye! Ready to root for shithead Yuta while sitting in his hometown.

If you want a consolation prize, there's a James Beard Award-nominated experience in South Philly that takes very little time and effort called Essen Bakery. The babka is insane. They got this zaatar and egg breakfast sandwich thing that really spoke to me. Maybe not as much as Federal Donut's doublefried chicken but that's OK. (and yes I'm sure these are touristy picks but I do my best)

Wrestling opinions will happen after the 10:30 dinner I apparently need to have 

• Like 4

Skye Blue’s best match, and a perfectly booked match in general. I love seeing people get elevated. Matches like that are why I love pro wrestling. I don’t recall Skye using the Wrecked ‘Em before against Storm, and she is well equipped to do so. Also, Tony quietly saying “come on, kid” at one point was a nice touch.

I am not a fan of Brian Cage, but when he and Sting paired up, I realized that he has Sting’s athleticism in Hellwig’s body, with neither of their charisma.

Opener was huge for the live crowd, but felt very “we are having a classic match for you, please enjoy” rather than a two guys fighting hard because they don’t like each other. MJF pulling out the table dive felt unnecessary but one of those “see, this is a big match” moments. And the blood capsule spot was cringe AF. I don’t know, I try to overcome my biases and just enjoy wrestling but this wasn’t quite for me, whereas the 8-man was not a classic by any means but I liked it a lot more.

Dean helped me realize that Hager fills a very specific spot in the roster, and he filled that spot very well tonight. It’s funny (NOT) that MJF referenced no showing a PPV since they are still kind of trying to salvage Wardlow from all the bullshit last year.

Really a good job overall selling Forbidden Door, which I will be buying. Jack Perry will do a good job as a scrappy challenger who can take a pin against Sanada. Not sure how you book Tanahashi-MJF, not sure you could overbook more than the match tonight.

Main was solid but not my favorite. Once they mentioned BCC not losing with Mox in a year I knew they were toast. I like any matchup of Page and Mox, and I would like to see Page-Claudio. I don’t hate The Bucks but once the super kick spamming started I lost interest.

aftermath was a lot of things happening. Eddie being back and challenging Claudio is awesome, him protecting Mox was interesting and I kinda wanted to see him and Mox scrap with the Bucks. Takeshita as a heat magnet is still weird but cool. I popped pretty hard for Osprey’s sneak attack.

Collision looks great! Can’t wait to see it on DVR on Monday. Teasing Punk with a live mic is sure a choice.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

If you want a consolation prize, there's a James Beard Award-nominated experience in South Philly that takes very little time and effort called Essen Bakery. The babka is insane. They got this zaatar and egg breakfast sandwich thing that really spoke to me. Maybe not as much as Federal Donut's doublefried chicken but that's OK. (and yes I'm sure these are touristy picks but I do my best)

Wrestling opinions will happen after the 10:30 dinner I apparently need to have 

I’m moving here later this year but I will 100% check that place out. I love zaatar.

• Like 1

I don't wanna be the first person to rain negativity on this thread...

BUT...

That FUCKING IDIOT with the "2.5" sign! Not even well-informed enough to understand it's 2.999.

Also the Punk promo actually made me LESS excited for the Collision debut, but that's almost certainly a Gordlow thing only.

Otherwise, LOVED the show.

Forbidden Door is going to be INSANE

WHAT WILL HEADLINE?!?!

I LOVED Friedman consistently overpowering Cole. Actual body-based storytelling. Like they were responding to the complainy grandpas!

Also all the subtle references to how Cole has influenced MJF. What an opener! Which 30 minutes flew by faster? This or Kenny vs Bryan? Which was the better opener? This, Kenny vs Bryan, or Orange vs Swerve?

LOVED the 8-man tag! Everything I'd hoped for. CHOAD WARRIOR!

Storm and Ruby's heel hairdos were GREAT!

Crap. Gotta go catch the train to work! 

Great show! 

So stoked! But I have to work Monday morning, so I won't be able to watch Forbidden Door live. I wonder if having a Saturday show means every PPV is going to be on Sunday now. Kind of fucking over all their fans in Japan and Europe who have to work Mondays. Cry us a f'n river.

Dammit, gotta go! TTYL!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7