DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/14/2023

Incredible episode. Really felt non stop all action with tons of excitement and so much going on. Loved it, felt like an all timer Dynamite.

Thought Cole/MJF was awesome and came off epic when I wasn't expecting quite all that pre-PPV. Absolutely love that they finally nailed the time limit draw by not telegraphing it ahead of time with references to it or countdowns, for once I didn't see it coming and that made it feel like a perfect finish here. Great stuff and a brilliant setup for a rematch not right now but whenever in the future. 

Great to see Jericho and Sting finally meet in the ring for the first time ever, glad it seems they will finally do that match at some point. That led nicely in to the 8 man tag which was wild and all action for 10 minutes. Nice Orange Punch into Scorpion finish. 

Loved Skye/Toni, a match with two people who have both been on fire doing some of their best work lately. Knew that Toni wouldn't lose this soon in her reign but that sequence towards the end with the spray and the Code Blue was completely amazing and I was ready to lose my shit for Skye. Great work. Post match seems to set up NJPW Strong champ vs AEW Champ. 

Fun main event and an incredible post-match chaos. Loved Kingston being back in the mix. Just one shot after another here with Takeshita then Kenny then Ospreay. Awesome.  Lots of layers of story telling stood out all throughout the episode. Really like all the build for Forbidden Door here. Didn't think MJF would be working it and he did say no to it but later they say the match is official!

Definitely one of those weeks where Excalibur had so much to announce and hype. AnnouncedforForbiddenDoorplusTHISSaturdayonCollisionOspreayonRampagenextweekonDynamite!

Great great episode. Hyped for Forbidden door and Collision

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

What a show! PHENOMENAL ending. This was honestly one of the best Dynamites of the last year IMO, if not longer than that (and I'm not even all that huge an NJPW guy). Already we've got Takeshita/Bandido and Ospreay also being announced for Rampage, then obviously Collision is an absurd card. Then Forbidden Door at the end of the month, immediately followed by the video game. Stadium shows in August and (most likely) September.

Obviously have no idea of the inner workings, but to me, it seems like with the Punk situation having been resolved, more TV hours, and the injury bug of last year having now hopefully been shaken, things are trending in a hugely positive direction. Now hopefully 1) it'll be much easier to book long term and keep cranking out kick ass shows like this, and 2) they can get back to focusing on growing from a business standpoint, TV, licensing, all that shit we have another thread for

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dog said:

Buddy/Andrade will steal the show.

I dunno, I know Punk, Andrade, and Miro are vets and certainly have been working out, but that’s a lot of ring rust to overcome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

I dunno, I know Punk, Andrade, and Miro are vets and certainly have been working out, but that’s a lot of ring rust to overcome.

Agreed, but who knows, maybe that's by design - if they all three go out and put on stinkers, that's a whole lot less crying on Twitter...

• Like 2

Punk came back after 7 or 8 years and put in a real good match with Darby Allin. Came back after a shattered foot and had a really good match with Mox at All Out.

Coming back after 8 months… shit, I’ve got no worries honestly.

• Like 2

This will surprise some people, but I really liked almost all of this. This is the least business-exposingly awful I've found Adam Cole. I think MJF only has to perform like 3 more miracles to be eligible for sainthood, given the segment last week and this match with Cole. The finish was great. Gives you options. I was like 50% convinced O'Reilly or Strong would cost Cole the match and keep him occupied a while longer. I'll be curious to see the number, though it is curious that Cole keeps finding himself in these traditionally high-rating segments with high-ratings performers. It's almost like every attempt is being made to present Cole as a huge star, even if he isn't. 

I like Sammy Guevara. I hope this is the start of something big for him. 

That 8 man was buckets of fun. Just a tremendous bit of business. 

The Gunns have really grown into tremendous heels. Just really great shit. 

• Like 4

That show was pretty great. I am also on the hating Cole train (body shaming is bad, but is fine and cool when it’s Adam Cole) but that match was probably my favourite of the night. Honestly loved everything but the main which I thought was the worst Elite-BCC match so far. It wasn’t bad, it just happened. I was ready for the angle to begin wrapping up but boy did that ending bring me right back into it. Give me conflicted Eddie hating teaming with the Bucks and fighting Mox, but doing it because he hates Claudio just that much 

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2

Jungle boy getting an iwgp championship shot is 2017 Cody getting an iwgp championship shot in Long Beach. What a disappointment. 

edit: I just saw that “live” on the west coast so that was just my immediate disappointment. Tana vs mjf is great, orange and zsj is great, I still have the main event to see and I’ve enjoyed the show. But the open challenge promo to that promo…ugh

Edited by matt925
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Jungle boy getting an iwgp championship shot is 2017 Cody getting an iwgp championship shot in Long Beach. What a disappointment. 

edit: I just saw that “live” on the west coast so that was just my immediate disappointment. Tana vs mjf is great, orange and zsj is great, I still have the main event to see and I’ve enjoyed the show. But the open challenge promo to that promo…ugh

It feels like they might be doing ZSJ vs OC vs Garcia vs Shibata but maybe I’m wrong and it’s the first two and last two in matches. But I’m into the four way idea, I’m gonna manifest it.

Also yeah Jungle Boy/SANADA is weird but whatever. It’ll be good, and Jack will turn heel at the end most likely.

• Like 1

Jungle Boy getting the shot at SANADA feels like AEW pivoting from raising someone up briefly and dropping them back down. It’s follow up and looks like an actual attempt to lift someone up the card with some consistency. Very hard to complain about. Fits in just fine on a show with other actual main events. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Jungle Boy getting the shot at SANADA feels like AEW pivoting from raising someone up briefly and dropping them back down. It’s follow up and looks like an actual attempt to lift someone up the card with some consistency. Very hard to complain about. Fits in just fine on a show with other actual main events. 

I respectfully disagree very strongly. I was so excited and curious about the open challenge and then I got that promo. Lift someone else up. This is another super watered down title match outside of japan. 

29 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I respectfully disagree very strongly. I was so excited and curious about the open challenge and then I got that promo. Lift someone else up. This is another super watered down title match outside of japan. 

How is watered down? He's pushed as one of the four pillars of AEW, and just came off a title shot for AEW's top championship (albeit in a four-way)

• Like 1