DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

I think that’s it, aew live ppv and back catalogue will move to max just like wwe network and peacock. They must have the new deal pretty much in place and the new show and potentially the ppv move is all part of the new deal to extend dynamite, they just have to announce it. Feels like good news compared to the doom and gloom when the merger happened. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Feels like good news compared to the doom and gloom when the merger happened. 

Agreed - and for the record, I fully recognize my participation/willingness to buy into said doom 'n gloom at times. March '01 still very fresh in my mind! 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agreed - and for the record, I fully recognize my participation/willingness to buy into said doom 'n gloom at times. March '01 still very fresh in my mind! 

Oh dude like every other day was a new headline. Everyone involved with tnt is gone, cancel every hit show, cancel movies that are finished, lay off thousands of people, slash 3 billion, might not renew nba. 

It was brutal. I’m feeling optimistic now the industry needs this to be a good deal. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Oh dude like every other day was a new headline. Everyone involved with tnt is gone, cancel every hit show, cancel movies that are finished, lay off thousands of people, slash 3 billion, might not renew nba. 

It was brutal. I’m feeling optimistic now the industry needs this to be a good deal. 

Not to be a negative Nancy, but I will say this: I think the first few days/weeks after the deal is made are *still* going to be insufferable, purely because WWE broke the scale with those ridiculous Fox/Peacock deals. I'll bet ya lunch every disingenuous bad actor with an Internet connection is going to be 'disappointed' with the # no matter what it is. It's a little bit off topic, but IMO, I think a large part of why WWE was finally sold is because they knew they couldn't reach that kind of figure again - now, with the new company, they at least MIGHT come close by trying to bundle UFC content into the mix

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Bringing it back around: Honestly, it wouldn't shock me if TK attempted something similar with ROH (or is planning on it at some point)
  • Like 3

I'm completely blown away by the pre-sale numbers.  Was thinking 30k in the building would be a huge success even if it didn't look great on TV and they've blown past that. Already a massive success without a card or even wrestlers announced.  Bravo AEW!!!

I'm interested to know how many of those went to scalpers.  I have no idea how accurate they were or how he got them but a while back Meltzer was giving 'ticket broker' numbers for AEW (and IIRC some WWE) pre-sales.  With such a big stadium and so many tickets out I wouldn't think there'd be huge demand in the secondary market, but maybe there will be for the premium tickets...

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Wonder what "AEW Wrestling content will air exclusively on WBD" might spell for future PPVs. At least with All In, seems like AEW is getting into the Premium Live Event business.

I thought WBD owns a piece of Bleacher Report and was pushing for more ppvs

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I thought WBD owns a piece of Bleacher Report and was pushing for more ppvs

Bleacher report is owned by wbd but I feel they wouldn’t decide to make that the only way to order ppv. I feel it’s going to max for “free”. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

Dark and Elevation finishing makes me very sad indeed.

I think the larger story coming out of this that's both positive and negative is the quiet death of supplemental programming that also in a way served as shoulder programming. Once wrestling went national, it elevated what pro wrestling was just cause there was a great demand for it. Syndication was still big, big business and being in different markets made a huge difference to your bottom line. During the down period in the 90s, it helped keep pro wrestling alive cause people still took it serious enough where you can do angles and storylines on those platforms along with the occasional major match here and there. Now? Promotions are getting paid top dollar to do live televised shows and the more, the better. You're essentially allowing viewers to pick and choose with zero hesitation. Moreover, it's taking away another critical part of the business.

House show/live events served in the role of allowing wrestlers to get more comfortable with their craft and work out their matches. By the time they got to TV they could call in the ring and know exactly what to do. You're also learning the style and ways of the promotion and how to integrate what you do best by blending it in. You're working with someone (whether singles or a tag team) so frequently that you know their strengths and weaknesses. People would have A match, a B match, and sometimes a C match. So just judging by the time they're allotted on TV, they already had it figured out and could work in whatever finish they needed to do. The supplemental programming like Superstars, Challenge, Worldwide, Pro, WCW's Main Event, and post Nitro era WCW Saturday Night added onto to that because you're getting all the benefits of what you did on house shows/live events with the added advantage of now being able to start introducing your work on television. In addition, the talents that weren't doing as much on the main shows or were brand new to that particular promotion could begin flourishing. You could also see what was and wasn't getting over, and what was or wasn't going to translate once it made television. 

You had levels to what made pro wrestling and each level was extremely integral. They folded right into each other. By killing these parts of the pro wrestling business, you're making a lot of pro wrestlers (many of them who are as green as astro turf) to work without a net. Pro wrestling is as sink or swim as it's ever been. I dunno if that's the best way of going about evolving pro wrestling. It's certainly better for the physical toll in many ways and probably better in terms of benefitting mental health and home life. However, just purely in terms of what impact it could have on the business, it could majorly affect the overall growth of the pro wrestlers themselves and their career progression. You're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Most local Indy’s in my area run monthly or quarterly. Make you wonder where the Parker Bourdouxs or Jade Cargills are supposed to get reps 

That's what the AEW house shows and going from local indy to local indy is for.

• Like 1

Wrestling Open in Worcester MA runs weekly (on Thursdays, even). And a lot of the regulars, you see them improving in front of your eyes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

I'm completely blown away by the pre-sale numbers.  Was thinking 30k in the building would be a huge success even if it didn't look great on TV and they've blown past that. Already a massive success without a card or even wrestlers announced.  Bravo AEW!!!

I'm interested to know how many of those went to scalpers.  I have no idea how accurate they were or how he got them but a while back Meltzer was giving 'ticket broker' numbers for AEW (and IIRC some WWE) pre-sales.  With such a big stadium and so many tickets out I wouldn't think there'd be huge demand in the secondary market, but maybe there will be for the premium tickets...

Meltzer said on Twitter that only a few hundred All In tickets were on StubHub as of yesterday.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jenalysis said:

That's what the AEW house shows and going from local indy to local indy is for.

Jade doesn't work indies and she isn't advertised for any AEW house shows

There was some report that said she wanted to tour Japan to get better, but we'll see if that happens

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Wonder what "AEW Wrestling content will air exclusively on WBD" might spell for future PPVs. At least with All In, seems like AEW is getting into the Premium Live Event business.

Can't be worse than using Bleacher Report to watch a PPV. What a nightmare.

Hadn't read all the posts yet and now am seeing that WBD owns B/R as well. I'll still take it on Max, as I've never had an issue watching anything on that app. Bleacher Report is where I go if I want a spotty connection and a nightmare UI

Edited by StevieNippz
More info

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Think I saw people speculating on this

Wow. I loved his podcast with Denise Salcedo. I was sad to hear he was stepping away from all his wrestling podcasts but happy he was doing something he wanted in life. Cool to see it’s with AEW!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

Wow. I loved his podcast with Denise Salcedo. I was sad to hear he was stepping away from all his wrestling podcasts but happy he was doing something he wanted in life. Cool to see it’s with AEW!

I started listening to his podcasts a few days ago. I'm not as familiar with his work but that's definitely a great move. As a black man myself it's great to see him in that role , Especially with his knowledge of pro Wrestling. WWE has so many people in creative roles without experience or the love or much knowledge of wrestling and even if they do , they can't apply it which is why I don't understand why they are finally getting law suits like that 1 former writer got on them last week.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I started listening to his podcasts a few days ago. I'm not as familiar with his work but that's definitely a great move. As a black man myself it's great to see him in that role , Especially with his knowledge of pro Wrestling. WWE has so many people in creative roles without experience or the love or much knowledge of wrestling and even if they do , they can't apply it which is why I don't understand why they are finally getting law suits like that 1 former writer got on them last week.

I’ve mainly listened to him with Denise and they had a really fun show where I’d see if there was anything I needed to check out that I missed or of a company I normally don’t watch. 
I like the idea of bringing in fresh voices. I’m not sure of the specifics of what his day to day would be, but you couldn’t bring someone in better who comes across levelheaded, has good taste and opinions, and an all around kind person to have on the team. I haven’t met him personally but he seems like a good dude and people say he is nice. Good for him and good luck. 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dunno who dude is but Tony most definitely needs a right hand man instead of doing EVERYTHING himself. If this guy can be his Pat Patterson (or even his Chief Jay Strongbow) then good deal. 

Someone on Twitter (maybe Bix) said that he was a DVDVR member (or former member).

• Like 3