Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022


 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Wasn't Malakai's back messed up for a majority of his AEW run? Not sure he had enough time healthy on the roster to have that many promises broken.

Yes, which is something else people gloss over. His back is still all fucked up and he's relying on something called "dry needling" which looks like a more painful version of acupuncture. He's says it's helping, but he's still hurt, so who knows. I like Tommy End a ton, but my dude, go get a fucking x-ray or MRI or something. Whether you're working for AEW or WWE or indies or whatever, I just want to see the guy be healthy and not have his career be at risk. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

Wasn't Malakai's back messed up for a majority of his AEW run? Not sure he had enough time healthy on the roster to have that many promises broken.

That's kind of what I think, too. The only indication anyone has that he might be a Triple H guy is a throwaway joke Brian Myers made on the podcast with Cardona about seeing how lovingly Black & Ricochet were staring at Hunter during the Hall of Fame ceremony. I'm sure he's frustrated to no end that his body is betraying him. I'm sure he was probably told some things that might not've come to fruition due to his injury or TK's insistence that HOB face all 3 Death Triangle guys in a blowoff before moving them on to other things. That was a misstep. He's a guy who, when healthy, is someone who's interesting enough and a good enough worker that you can put the TNT or World Title on him. I really do hope he thinks about the top of the card in both major promotions and sees how much more room there is for a top level quasi-heel in AEW than in WWE. When Wardlow inevitably takes the title off of MJF, Black is the guy I'd line up to take it off of Wardlow. Call it early 2024. Let Black do anything he wants (within reason) until then. Add Butcher and Blade, Damo and Rowan to HOB. Put the Trios titles on HOB. Whatever. I don't see a scenario where he (or Mathews, or anyone) would be more creatively satisfied in the corporate WWE than in AEW. 

 

If he and Mathews and Andrade really just want to work where their women do, then more power to them. Enjoy working Main Event and being fed to Gunther and Lashley.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Random bit of fantasy signing/booking while I sit through yet another meeting that should've been an email: I would like to think that we're heading to Brody/Wardlow for the TNT title, but in the event they want to continue HOB as a trio (plus Julia) - what would you guys think about an all-hoss supergroup of Brody/Rowan/Damo? 

Can we call them The Meatslappers?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel for a guy like Butcher. Who knows, maybe he's perfectly content with his spot in AEW. But here's a guy who already had an awesome look, but kind of shitty cardio. Then he gets in ridiculous shape, starts wearing those sunglasses, looks like a star, and here comes Brody King who basically blows up Butcher's spot and does everything Butcher does and then some.

I know it sounds crazy, but I'd really like some kind of hoss title or tournament or something in AEW. It's something that's never been done before, to my knowledge, and AEW's roster of hosses is awesome. Let Butcher have a go at that or something. Shit, get Butcher in a singles feud with Hobbs and let those two monsters destroy each other. Blade just feels like dead weight and only drags Butcher down. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Butcher/Blade/Brody makes all the sense in the world and was *right* there. Almost actually mad I didn't think of it first - great idea @Craig H 

I'll also co-sign the hoss tourney/title. Not sure if it was you or not, but I've read the idea of a Brodie Lee memorial big boi tournament here a couple times, and though I get that it might be a little bit of overkill with the Owen having just wrapped, it's too good not to do. Honestly, even if it's just kind of a side attraction on Dark/Elevation/Rampage with only the finals on Dynamite/PPV it's just too good not to do. 

Also, I know I must have annoyed the shit out of everyone with how often I was saying this, but back when Brian Cage was Champion, my big agenda was to use the FTW title as the meat slappin' belt. I'm generally against any kind of weight limit (so FTW is good because you're not hamstrung by it) - A Cruiserweight title made sense back in the days when size was the default, so inversely, if the house style more geared toward your Darbys and Sammys and Bucks, it might make sense to do the opposite (though again I emphasize, I am firmly, firmly against any kind of formal weight division)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, just drew said:

That's kind of what I think, too. The only indication anyone has that he might be a Triple H guy is a throwaway joke Brian Myers made on the podcast with Cardona about seeing how lovingly Black & Ricochet were staring at Hunter during the Hall of Fame ceremony. I'm sure he's frustrated to no end that his body is betraying him. I'm sure he was probably told some things that might not've come to fruition due to his injury or TK's insistence that HOB face all 3 Death Triangle guys in a blowoff before moving them on to other things. That was a misstep. He's a guy who, when healthy, is someone who's interesting enough and a good enough worker that you can put the TNT or World Title on him. I really do hope he thinks about the top of the card in both major promotions and sees how much more room there is for a top level quasi-heel in AEW than in WWE. When Wardlow inevitably takes the title off of MJF, Black is the guy I'd line up to take it off of Wardlow. Call it early 2024. Let Black do anything he wants (within reason) until then. Add Butcher and Blade, Damo and Rowan to HOB. Put the Trios titles on HOB. Whatever. I don't see a scenario where he (or Mathews, or anyone) would be more creatively satisfied in the corporate WWE than in AEW. 

 

If he and Mathews and Andrade really just want to work where their women do, then more power to them. Enjoy working Main Event and being fed to Gunther and Lashley.

Agree with all of this.  

Would also add that Black and HOB should stop the spooky shit. You're all a bunch of scary-looking dudes. You don't need to disappear and shit. Just walking to the ring should scare people. I'd like to see them pivot to "people who look scary and like heavy-ass music".

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love Butcher, but he’s the same age as Punk and just as injury prone. Starting his wrestling career in his late 30s and making it to a national promotion is remarkable, but he’s almost certainly hit his ceiling. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I love Butcher, but he’s the same age as Punk and just as injury prone. Starting his wrestling career in his late 30s and making it to a national promotion is remarkable, but he’s almost certainly hit his ceiling. 

Butcher has an amazing look and seems to be a hard worker. He also frequently looks very lost in matches.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Wasn't Malakai's back messed up for a majority of his AEW run? Not sure he had enough time healthy on the roster to have that many promises broken.

Yes, which is why I found the earlier discussion about the "broken promises" portion of his statement kind of confusing - there's no way he couldn't have also been including WWE in that designation - how could TK be expected to push Black at any meaningful level when they have no idea what his availability is going to be? I love Black, I think it's a 10/10 gimmick and presentation and I dig the kicks and everything, but if he's using words like "debilitating" and "retirement" I completely understand why this run looked the way it did. Look at how many stop/starts there were with this endless Death Triangle - imagine if that was a world or other singles title program between Pac and Black? Nightmare situation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I feel for a guy like Butcher. Who knows, maybe he's perfectly content with his spot in AEW. But here's a guy who already had an awesome look, but kind of shitty cardio. Then he gets in ridiculous shape, starts wearing those sunglasses, looks like a star, and here comes Brody King who basically blows up Butcher's spot and does everything Butcher does and then some.

On the other hand, Every Time I Die have made a much bigger imprint on the heavy music scene than God’s Hate have. So it evens out.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

On the other hand, Every Time I Die have made a much bigger imprint on the heavy music scene than God’s Hate have. So it evens out.

This raises the darn good question as to why Brodie and Butcher aren’t already a tag team. They’re tatted up dudes, they’re hosses, they’re in legit metal bands. Why aren’t they steamrolling the Ass Boys or throwing Top Flight around already? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too had a thought concerning the stylistically similar Brody/Butcher/Blade, but that gets in the way of the already awesome Rush/Butcher/Blade team. I assume Andrade's the next to announce a 'recalibration' so Rooshky needs some frenz. I wonder if he's thinking twice about turning his back on his brother!?! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Fwiw, Sean Ross asap tweeted today that he thinks Buddy & Malakai both will be back in AEW by the end of the year. Just interesting…

I guess for what it's worth, both guys are still listed on AEW's website, and technically, Malakai Black did deny he was released.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I guess for what it's worth, both guys are still listed on AEW's website, and technically, Malakai Black did deny he was released.

Tony Khan would be the biggest moron in the world to just let people with years left on their deal just walk away. Especially useful people like Black & Murphy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Tony Khan would be the biggest moron in the world to just let people with years left on their deal just walk away. Especially useful people like Black & Murphy.

Hypothetically, if CM Punk never returns, a guy like Black could be incredibly useful if they just revamp and repackage him the right way and his back is doing better. It could really freshen up the main event title scene.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Hypothetically, if CM Punk never returns, a guy like Black could be incredibly useful if they just revamp and repackage him the right way and his back is doing better. It could really freshen up the main event title scene.

Maybe I overrate Black because it's a dope gimmick (I'm pretty simple to please, rip off as much Kevin Sullivan, 'Taker, Raven, and '97 Sting as you can, and I'm a happy camper; see also Wyatt, Bray) but I personally am of the opinion that if his back were healthy and he was mentally healthy and willing to work, he could have been slotted into a world title feud tomorrow and it would have worked fine.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Maybe I overrate Black because it's a dope gimmick (I'm pretty simple to please, rip off as much Kevin Sullivan, 'Taker, Raven, and '97 Sting as you can, and I'm a happy camper; see also Wyatt, Bray) but I personally am of the opinion that if his back were healthy and he was mentally healthy and willing to work, he could have been slotted into a world title feud tomorrow and it would have worked fine.

I'm of a similar mind. I always felt Black did a good job of putting his own spin on the satanic wrestler gimmick.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, just drew said:

Tony Khan would be the biggest moron in the world to just let people with years left on their deal just walk away. Especially useful people like Black & Murphy.

I only agree with the "especially" part. Letting Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly walk would be genius management, for example.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Adam Cole would be like 30% more tolerable if he had a heater. Get Morrissey out of Stokley Hathaway's John Grisham's The Firm and have him be Sycho Sid to Adam Cole's Shawn. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yes, which is something else people gloss over. His back is still all fucked up and he's relying on something called "dry needling" which looks like a more painful version of acupuncture. He's says it's helping, but he's still hurt, so who knows. I like Tommy End a ton, but my dude, go get a fucking x-ray or MRI or something. Whether you're working for AEW or WWE or indies or whatever, I just want to see the guy be healthy and not have his career be at risk. 

I haven't watched the videos - is he seriously saying that's all he's relying on?

I've been using dry needling for the past 18 months after I hurt my achilles/plantar fascia. It's a decent preventative measure to ensure that you're not overcompensating on other load bearing parts of the body and making things progressively worse, but that's all it is - a band-aid stop gap.

Hopefully not a case of getting a bad diagnosis, and deciding it's just easier to push through and deal with it later. That always works well in wrestling.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...