DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022

The Natural

23 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Same logic can be applied to Joey Janela and Jack Evans.

??? Janela turned down an extension with AEW, and Jack literally did hurt himself and other people with his sloppiness and by his own admission didn’t have a good run in AEW and probably deserved to be let go before his contract was up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Realistically, AEW should be trying to re-shuffle the deck and try clearing out some dead weight. Serpentico, Angelico, Luther, Matt Sydal, probably, a number of others.

They re-upped Brian Cage and did nothing with him.

Bad take. The tippy top and the very bottom is not what needs to go. I'm not a giant fan of Serpentico or Luther. But they serve a purpose, take up ZERO main roster TV time, and have extremely cost effective contracts (we can assume). There's no need to clear out the contracted enhancement guys. They aren't taking TV time or pay or opportunities away from any of your favorites. Because it's not like Miro & Andrade would be working enhancement matches putting over 2.0 on Dark if Sepentico & Luther were released.

But again, this talking point comes up far too much. Especially from you. TK isn't like some idiot that accidentally signed too many guys in this awww schucks I wanna collect them all sense. He is making a conscious decision to have a lot of cards in the deck to shuffle around. The big WWE talking point used to be why do they run so many house shows? How come guys have to work so much? Can they work in an off season? All because we'd like to see performers healthier and getting less injuries. AEW has instituted a structure that is paying their athletes as much or more as WWE for significantly less work. This is exactly what we had all been clamoring for. They aren't bloated. They are structured different than you're used to. There is a difference.

I'm glad the internet wasn't a thing when I was a young kid first starting out watching. Hearing people constantly whine that Hogan doesn't wrestle enough on TV, or how you like Koko B Ware and he needs to be on TV more, or how Roddy Piper is getting wasted on by not being on TV enough and they're fucking him up would have drained allllllllll my joy.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Bad take. The tippy top and the very bottom is not what needs to go. I'm not a giant fan of Serpentico or Luther. But they serve a purpose, take up ZERO main roster TV time, and have extremely cost effective contracts (we can assume). There's no need to clear out the contracted enhancement guys. They aren't taking TV time or pay or opportunities away from any of your favorites. Because it's not like Miro & Andrade would be working enhancement matches putting over 2.0 on Dark if Sepentico & Luther were released.

But again, this talking point comes up far too much. Especially from you. TK isn't like some idiot that accidentally signed too many guys in this awww schucks I wanna collect them all sense. He is making a conscious decision to have a lot of cards in the deck to shuffle around. The big WWE talking point used to be why do they run so many house shows? How come guys have to work so much? Can they work in an off season? All because we'd like to see performers healthier and getting less injuries. AEW has instituted a structure that is paying their athletes as much or more as WWE for significantly less work. This is exactly what we had all been clamoring for. They aren't bloated. They are structured different than you're used to. There is a difference.

I'm glad the internet wasn't a thing when I was a young kid first starting out watching. Hearing people constantly whine that Hogan doesn't wrestle enough on TV, or how you like Koko B Ware and he needs to be on TV more, or how Roddy Piper is getting wasted on by not being on TV enough and they're fucking him up would have drained allllllllll my joy.

It's not a working strategy when you see so many men and women disappearing from TV for months on end.

If it's not the bottom guys that need to go, I'm fine with letting go of Tony Nese, Josh Woods, Ryan Nemeth, Varsity Blonds, and Peter Avalon...when their contracts are up of course.

Pillman seems to be getting rather disenchanted with AEW at the moment anyway.

3 hours ago, EVA said:

??? Janela turned down an extension with AEW, and Jack literally did hurt himself and other people with his sloppiness and by his own admission didn’t have a good run in AEW and probably deserved to be let go before his contract was up.

Did he now?

Edited by TheVileOne

8 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

"Fire The Jobbers" is easily one of the Four Pillars of Bad Takes, along with "It's A Work", "Eddie Loses Too Much", and "Meme Wrestler Bad"

Were all these guys brought in and signed for the express purpose of being jobbers? 

26 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

"Fire The Jobbers" is easily one of the Four Pillars of Bad Takes, along with "It's A Work", "Eddie Loses Too Much", and "Meme Wrestler Bad"

No, friend, the central pillar of bad takes is thinking that re-embracing the indy jobbers and freak-shows that rooted them at the sub-1 million mark, slippy-sliding giving up viewership week after week for the 9 months straight from autumn onward is a good idea. It has demonstratively been shown that the active AEW roster is far larger per-minute of TV time than peak WWF/E/CW ever was with much of the talent narratively stagnant. That is inarguable. Unless they plan to bake suspensions of talent into the product week-to-week (if the suspensions are genuine), then the point will only be exacerbated further. 

As for AEW generally, given Punk's media comments on bringing 'realism' into the product (and his track record for that), alongside Khan's own comments on bad blood being good for business (words to that effect) and some on-screen items (MJF departing speech) I for one assumed they had a grand narrative direction planned out. Punk's latest injury may have put paid to that for the time being anyway (while Young Bucks are due time off too after working non stop since inception). If they do not have a direction planned out whatsoever, and they really are spitballing this shit week to week with a barrage of hastily made tournaments, battle royal and creative about-turns with 0 cohesive executive management other than Khan's singular word and lunatics literally fighting each other in the asylum then .. wow. What a carnival. I cannot imagine they are that inept given the level of investments, so assume there are ulterior motives at work still. We shall see where they go with the new title programs. At least the tags are now on Acclaimed (so long as they don't neuter them as pure-faces).

Edited by A_K

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Yeah, because how dare people enjoy something and want to see more of it, am I right?

26 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Were all these guys brought in and signed for the express purpose of being jobbers? 

Probably a combination of "who's available" when they started, people being friends of top guys (Luther is long time buds with Jericho, I assume socal guys like Peter Avalon and Nick Nemeth are friends of the bucks) and yes a need for underneath guys.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Everytime someone goes out with injury we say "thank goodness for the deep bench". I know firmly believe that's by design. The Khan's own TWO professional sports franchises, and you know what those teams have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string (Hell the NFL even has a practice squad which is probably the equivalent of Luther spot in company)  and it seems like Tony K runs AEW the same way. Now I may disagree with whom is on what string (I wouldn't feature so many Adam Cole singles matches and so few of Buddy Mathews) But their is no accounting for taste

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, A_K said:

No, friend, the central pillar of bad takes is thinking that re-embracing the indy jobbers and freak-shows that rooted them at the sub-1 million mark, slippy-sliding giving up viewership week after week for the 9 months straight from autumn onward is a good idea. It has demonstratively been shown that the active AEW roster is far larger per-minute of TV time than peak WWF/E/CW ever was with much of the talent narratively stagnant. That is inarguable. Unless they plan to bake suspensions of talent into the product week-to-week (if the suspensions are genuine), then the point will only be exacerbated further. 

As for AEW generally, given Punk's media comments on bringing 'realism' into the product (and his track record for that), alongside Khan's own comments on bad blood being good for business (words to that effect) and some on-screen items (MJF departing speech) I for one assumed they had a grand narrative direction planned out. Punk's latest injury may have put paid to that for the time being anyway (while Young Bucks are due time off too after working non stop since inception). If they do not have a direction planned out whatsoever, and they really are spitballing this shit week to week with a barrage of hastily made tournaments, battle royal and creative about-turns with 0 cohesive executive management other than Khan's singular word and lunatics literally fighting each other in the asylum then .. wow. What a carnival. I cannot imagine they are that inept given the level of investments, so assume there are ulterior motives at work still. We shall see where they go with the new title programs. At least the tags are now on Acclaimed (so long as they don't neuter them as pure-faces).

Are we still talking about Luther? 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

If it's not the bottom guys that need to go, I'm fine with letting go of Tony Nese, Josh Woods, Ryan Nemeth, Varsity Blonds, and Peter Avalon...when their contracts are up of course.

I'm unclear how you're defining "bottom guys" if the Wingmen and Varsity Blonds don't qualify.

• Like 1

Literally nothing has come out in the years of AEW's existence regarding financial strain, budget issues, etc. and yet there's always somebody saying such and such talent should be let go for what I can only assume is freeing up money. Baffling. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We are starting to see the strain of a large roster though. To say it's simply financial reasoning is false. Malakai wrote about unfulfilled promises, as just one example. It's ideal to rotate people in and out but make it count when they're in. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Literally nothing has come out in the years of AEW's existence regarding financial strain, budget issues, etc. and yet there's always somebody saying such and such talent should be let go for what I can only assume is freeing up money. Baffling. 

It's not budget or financial strain that I'm worried about. It's the bloated roster and talents infrequently appearing.

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

We are starting to see the strain of a large roster though. To say it's simply financial reasoning is false. Malakai wrote about unfulfilled promises, as just one example. It's ideal to rotate people in and out but make it count when they're in. 

Cutting Chaos Project, the Varsity Blonds, and half the Wingmen is probably not going to alleviate the problem of not enough main event slots, though. Unless you think someone like Malakai would be happy taking their spots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Cutting Chaos Project, the Varsity Blonds, and half the Wingmen is probably not going to alleviate the problem of not enough main event slots, though. Unless you think someone like Malakai would be happy taking their spots.

What does my point have to do with releasing job guys? I totally disagreed with the people Vile One put forth. They have too many people in the midcard and too many (non chaotic) projects they're building to keep everybody happy. They need more tv time, cycle people in and out more effectively, or downsize their roster. 

Who is Ryan Frederick? He's saying it's the people that have partners in WWE that want to go back (Andrade, Malakai and Buddy I think?). Miro is happy. That cuck storyline ain't that long ago. 

Look, Matt, I agree with you on a great deal but Kyle O'Reilly slander is awful. Almost as bad as Elite slander in 2022. Kyle's neck fusion surgery had complications I believe. Shitty news. 

This made me laugh, cuz I forgot he also ripped off Mox's prison escape vignette. 

Hey embedding worked on my phone. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Kyle's neck fusion surgery had complications I believe. Shitty news. 

Yeah. I want the guy to get better and have a good life. It just sort of messed up the upper midcard a bit for he and Cole to be there on top of everyone else. 

3 hours ago, A_K said:

Looooool I was just wondering where the “it’s a work” guy has been.  So you’re pivoting to “still a work but Punk is hurt and the Bucks were actually due some time off.” I haven’t seen such a wild “no no no I’m still right!” pivot In conspiracy type thinking since QAnon had to rewrite their whole narrative after THE STORM~! didn’t happen.  You’re hilarious.  Never change.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Maybe I was in the minority but, when Black mentioned unfulfilled promises, I immediately thought of WWE telling Thea they'd put her and Tommy on the same brand if she came back, which ended up being total bullshit. He didn't seem to be talking only about his AEW time. 

You're right about perhaps too many folks signed but the names mentioned were mostly enhancement talent so I was mainly thinking of them when I posted. Meanwhile we live in a world where Miro is sitting on his hands so yeah, there's clearly SOMETHING wrong. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Jiji said:

What does my point have to do with releasing job guys? I totally disagreed with the people Vile One put forth. 

If you mean "in this thread", then I apologize for missing that. It seemed easy to read your post as backing up Vile's point.

36 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Who is Ryan Frederick?

...I have no idea. Never heard of him. Why are you asking about him if you don't know who he is? Did you just make up a name at random? Is that the new forum game? Who is Johann Schmidt? Who is Kimberly Pryce-Jones?

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

If you mean "in this thread", then I apologize for missing that. It seemed easy to read your post as backing up Vile's point.

...I have no idea. Never heard of him. Why are you asking about him if you don't know who he is? Did you just make up a name at random? Is that the new forum game? Who is Johann Schmidt? 

Frederick writes for the f4w site.