Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/23/2022


Gordlow
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

Did Jade forget to kick out? It looked to me the ref just stopped counting the cover after the elbow in the corner. 

Looks like it. I thought the match played out the way I had optimistically hoped, but a lot of people who caught the full-match feed have a different opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This MJF thing is so weird because usually "shooty" stuff is presented with a big "HEY LOOK! I'M SHOOTING HERE!"  That promo wasn't.  Like others, I kept waiting for the "gotcha!" from him when Punk came out. 

I can't tell if this was a cynical ploy to soften Punk or a change in direction for the MJF character.  Maybe he comes out at the PPV and gets all gritty and fights his ass off?  Or maybe Punk drops his guard and he's all "That was all true, but you've lost your edge!  The old Punk wouldn't have softened for some sob story."?  

Like I said earlier, ultimately, the success or failure of that promo is going to hinge on where they go from here.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jade Cargill did a straight arm lift. It’s a World of Sport move from the 70s. Not used much in America Wrestling, unless Lord Steven Regal is in the match.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm just gonna open this post with the fact that I fist-bumped Dustin Rhodes. Saw him coming out of the media box when I was getting back to my seat during Dark. No one below us noticed and I didn't wanna blow up his spot, so we just silently bumped and kept walking. I like to think he was appreciative of that - but what a freakin' cool moment! Also accidentally made eye contact with Mox through a partition while in the bathroom line, and Kip was running around doing his thing all night.

I haven't watched it back yet, but this crowd was loud as hell in person . The reactions for Hangman and Kingston actually rivaled anyone else I've seen in this arena in the 20 years it's been open - Hogan, Flair, Michaels, Rock, Foley, Taker, HHH, you name em. Without a doubt though, we came most unglued for Kingston. I mean, people were next-level rabid for that guy. He was just as over here as in NYC, maybe more. Really hope it came across on TV.

MJF's promo was really great - I'm looking forward to seeing how the announcers sell it, because the feeling in the building was that we weren't buying it. Nothing but big Punk chants. It was really awesome to see Punk here for the first time since 2012 and Jericho since 2002! The guys in front of me were going nuts for Jericho. One of em just kept yelling "MOUNT RUSHMORE!!"

Rampage, I won't spoil, but definitely watch for Sammy/Andrade. Great match. A minor spoiler below

Spoiler

Sting and Darby did a run in at the end and man... seeing Sting for the first time ever at Grand Slam was great, and their match with FTR is one of my favorites I've ever seen live, but even just having him jog out and throw a few chops in my "home" arena, firmly in WWF/E territory, was hugely special.

Great night. Arena was probably 80-85% full. Just a few light spots on the hard cam side. But definitely way more people than the last WWE card I attended here in '15 or '16, and probably 10x as loud. I really, really hope they make it a regular stop.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What was the match where Buddy looked like he could have been an instant "PUSH THIS GUY NOW" success story that they completely ignored? It was him vs. somebody I can't remember and I just knew the guy was a star. And then... well, you know. 

Buddy Murphy vs Cedric Alexander from 205 Live on 5/29/18, which is one of those matches that made both guys look like a million bucks.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I haven't watched it back yet, but this crowd was loud as hell in person . The reactions for Hangman and Kingston actually rivaled anyone else I've seen in this arena in the 20 years it's been open - Hogan, Flair, Michaels, Rock, Foley, Taker, HHH, you name em. Without a doubt though, we came most unglued for Kingston. I mean, people were next-level rabid for that guy. He was just as over here as in NYC, maybe more. Really hope it came across on TV.

MJF's promo was really great - I'm looking forward to seeing how the announcers sell it, because the feeling in the building was that we weren't buying it. Nothing but big Punk chants. It was really awesome to see Punk here for the first time since 2012 and Jericho since 2002! The guys in front of me were going nuts for Jericho. One of em just kept yelling "MOUNT RUSHMORE!!"

Interesting you say they were loud as it sounded pretty dead to myself and apparently some here.  You could hear the chants and them during entrances but it sounded like nothing for some of the matches.  But this seems like proof that it could have just been a crowd mic issue which is a shame.  If somebody had fancam footage of Danielson/Garcia I would love to see that to see how it sounded that way.

As for the announcers they all were sympathizing with MJF.  Tony even said he has two kids with ADHD (or was it ADD?) and he felt bad for him.  As for the crowd it sounded like big-time booing that quieted down a lot the longer he went on.  And I think I even heard some cheers when he finished right before Punk came out.

Speaking of I did watch the promo again and loved it a lot more.  Last night I was in a state of "Wait a sec..." whereas knowing he was telling the truth I was a lot more invested on re-watch.  They have one more week to establish the tone for the match but right now I just have so many questions.  I do like the discussion here though as it takes a pretty straightforward angle and throws something in to get people talking.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think last night kinda showed that the Hangman reign is working as intended. He's just "noble, fighting babyface champion" taking on the heels. It's so contrary to how a lot of world champions are booked where someone like Roman is THE central point of the show to the point that him holding the belt up and posing is like the most pushed part of it. I'm not knocking Reigns or anything for that, either.

Page kinda has that Bret Hart vibe going right now. 

 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Interesting you say they were loud as it sounded pretty dead to myself and apparently some here.  You could hear the chants and them during entrances but it sounded like nothing for some of the matches.  But this seems like proof that it could have just been a crowd mic issue which is a shame.  If somebody had fancam footage of Danielson/Garcia I would love to see that to see how it sounded that way.

Crowd was pretty tired by the main event but Rampage woke some people up. Entrances were definitely louder than some of the matches though for sure.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I did a Twitter search and it really does seem like 50/50 people watching it saying we were dead, and people there live saying we were wild. I can only assume we had to have been mic'ed like shit. For what it's worth, the pre-tapes were barely audible in the building, so it's not out of the realm of possibility there was some kind of issue. I will admit we probably collectively ran out of steam after the Jericho/Kingston promo, but brought it back around for Andrade/Sanmy. but people were really, really going wild for Eddie during that. If that wasn't apparent on TV, I really have to emphasize it.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MJF making a point to drive home not quitting is leading me to believe we’re getting the earned respect handshake after the Dog Collar match, if not a full blown double turn. But that’s based on conventional wrestling booking logic and they’ve really left us in the weeds with this program, so who knows. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

MJF making a point to drive home not quitting is leading me to believe we’re getting the earned respect handshake after the Dog Collar match, if not a full blown double turn. But that’s based on conventional wrestling booking logic and they’ve really left us in the weeds with this program, so who knows. 

Id be way into a double turn, but I think Punk still has some juice left as a babyface. I want to see him against this version of Danielson badly. I know he's said publicly that it's more interesting for them to team up, but I think they gotta do it at least once.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think I saw anyone else mention this, so maybe people missed it. But it's hilarious they brought back the Cody elevator, gave it to Jade, and it didn't work. They zoomed way in on the elevator and had smoke coming out. It's super obvious she was supposed to come up on it. But it must have malfunctioned. Because they scrambled to change camera angles then all of a sudden she comes power walking out of the tunnel.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Log said:

This MJF thing is so weird because usually "shooty" stuff is presented with a big "HEY LOOK! I'M SHOOTING HERE!"  That promo wasn't.  Like others, I kept waiting for the "gotcha!" from him when Punk came out. 

I can't tell if this was a cynical ploy to soften Punk or a change in direction for the MJF character.  Maybe he comes out at the PPV and gets all gritty and fights his ass off?  Or maybe Punk drops his guard and he's all "That was all true, but you've lost your edge!  The old Punk wouldn't have softened for some sob story."?  

Like I said earlier, ultimately, the success or failure of that promo is going to hinge on where they go from here.

Absolutely.  I have faith in Punk to get it done tho, this is just a chapter in the story.  IMO it babyfaced MJF too much, but he's a good enough heel to like turn it right back on it's head in a second.  The realness can work to his shitheel dick character, it's just another layer

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

MJF making a point to drive home not quitting is leading me to believe we’re getting the earned respect handshake after the Dog Collar match, if not a full blown double turn. But that’s based on conventional wrestling booking logic and they’ve really left us in the weeds with this program, so who knows. 

I thought this, the promo certainly lead way for a double turn as an option, but then they still have the MJF-Wardlow story to come so I imagine Max stays heel for now at least

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, killsteve said:

I thought this, the promo certainly lead way for a double turn as an option, but then they still have the MJF-Wardlow story to come so I imagine Max stays heel for now at least

Yeah, there's way too much mileage on both sides for either to turn yet. Do the match, do the Laurel and Hardy handshake, but MJF is gonna MJF and cheap-shot Punk afterwards out of frustration. Maybe he pokes the Wardlow bear one time too many, finally leading to that turn. But no way do you flip Punk or Max.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...