Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
The Natural

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

Let's see how many people get this one (If you are an old school fan from the NYC are you'd BETTER know who this is)

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone waiting for WWE to address COVID-19, there's a bit of it in the Drew McIntyre episode of Chronicle. Which makes you feel for how fucked the guy's whole career has been in some ways.

As a fan, I'm even more invested in his hopeful coronation tomorrow night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

For anyone waiting for WWE to address COVID-19, there's a bit of it in the Drew McIntyre episode of Chronicle. Which makes you feel for how fucked the guy's whole career has been in some ways.

As a fan, I'm even more invested in his hopeful coronation tomorrow night. 

I want him to win the title but think doing it now at a show with no crowd would come off real flat. My idea would be for him to clearly get the better of Brock tomorrow and just as he's about to put him away Brock gets himself intentionally DQ'ed to keep the title. You basically keep Drew strong with the idea that Brock took the coward's way to retain the belt and then when you can run shows in front of fans again you book the rematch with a no DQ stip and then do the title change so you get the moment of him winning in front of a crowd going crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I want him to win the title but think doing it now at a show with no crowd would come off real flat. 

I of course agree. I'm just trying to find the silver linings in it for the talents for who I really feel sorry they lost their moment.

To go along with that theme: Shayna Baszler is pushing 40 and may not get this stage again. In the grand scheme of this crisis, that means nothing. But as a wrestling fan and a fan of her work, this sucks. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After watching this year's Wrestlemania (GRONK PRESENTS PART 1), I just picked another Wrestlemania at random that I had no memory of, and ended up on Wrestlemania 13. 

Not a whole lot worth relaying, but:

1. I'm sad there was never a New Blackjacks - Furnas/LaFon feud. Furnas/LaFon always felt like a very confusing tag team at the time who had no gimmick, but holy shit. If they had been booked with any sort of energy or urgency or sold as anything beyond "VERY TECHNICALLY SOUND," obviously that would have been a highlight of the time. But just imagine a five match series against these gigantic punchy cowboys. Somehow this match came down to the Headbangers and Godwins and well, you know, sure, it was OK.

2. Goldust and HHH had a great match that was probably a little too long and without much audience enthusiasm, through no fault of the match itself. Vince et. al. were a little too focused on Chyna, but the whole dynamic and match were really solid. I'd put it in HHH's best matches of all time off the top of my head. Southern as hell, short of blood.

3. In the same vein, the Owen/Bulldog v. Vader/Mankind match was pretty good. Both this and the HHH/Goldust match reminded me of the better parts of early 90s WCW. A face Owen (I don't know what this looks like, or how this happens organically) vs. a heel Vader would be amazing. 

4. The Chicago Street Fight -- Great. One moment where somebody from The Nation handed a 2x4 to Hawk when no one was looking, but it was an amazing brawl. All over the place. Bloody and messy and weird.

5. Undertaker-Sid wanted to be a Mike Awesome match but couldn't be. Sid looks like and feels like an incredible heel champion. It makes me appreciate some of the more recent Lesnar matches. HBK on commentary was uh, revealing. The whole time he was essentially saying "THESE GUYS ARE GREAT BUT ACTUALLY I'M CHAMPION SO FUCK THEM."

6. Heel Bret was amazing. He was wrong to not see that, and resent it initially.

7. Champion Taker is really fun and while he exists as someone who "Doesn't Need The Belt," when he's champion, there is a certain sense of all the melodrama parts of wrestling and all the 'sports' parts of wrestling coming into alignment that I appreciate.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I didn't watch Mania, I was watching IWTV. Mike Quackenbush beat Tiger Mask 4 and took the NWA Junior Heavyweight title, and then cut the original "Do I have your attention now?" promo.

Then they showed Timebomb Pro Wrestling's Timebomb 3 show, from Fargo. No-ring Deathmatches. One of which became one of those Deathmatches that could have ended in an actual Death. The "I need tape, RIGHT NOW!" spot. Also had the first annual Effy Twink Gauntlet match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

For anyone waiting for WWE to address COVID-19, there's a bit of it in the Drew McIntyre episode of Chronicle. Which makes you feel for how fucked the guy's whole career has been in some ways.

As a fan, I'm even more invested in his hopeful coronation tomorrow night. 

Does the video talk about his marriage that might’ve played a part in his initial run in the company?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sabremike said:

Let's see how many people get this one (If you are an old school fan from the NYC are you'd BETTER know who this is)

 

 

We didn't know his name, so we called him 'Muscle Face'.

We called the guy who looked like Rob Zombie 'Rob Zombie'.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus, that guy never ages, does he?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Idiot King said:

3. In the same vein, the Owen/Bulldog v. Vader/Mankind match was pretty good. Both this and the HHH/Goldust match reminded me of the better parts of early 90s WCW. A face Owen (I don't know what this looks like, or how this happens organically) vs. a heel Vader would be amazing.

That match happened at One Night Only and it was pretty great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was watching some stuff from the old NJPW USA shows and I did a quick Google search on Chad Collyer as he disappeared quietly 15 or so years ago. Read he's semiretired from pro-wrestling and is now a mentalist/magician/palm reader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sabremike said:

Let's see how many people get this one (If you are an old school fan from the NYC are you'd BETTER know who this is)

 

I think most people would recognize him better with a shaved head and a tank top.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Read he's semiretired from pro-wrestling and is now a mentalist/magician/palm reader.

That’s real sad.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know. Somehow, a pro wrestler leaving to become a magician/mentalist is just appropriate. 

Wrestling and magic are very similar when it comes down to it: The performer does something that looks dazzling and amazing. Fans know going into it that they're seeing an illusion and what is happening isn't real, and that's the point...it's so amazing because it's not real.

Likewise, the fans are enamored by the illusion they're seeing and want to be part of that world...but at the same time, secretly no matter how much you love the world of these illusions you're seeing and how much you think you want to know how they did it, secretly you don't REALLY want to know how they do their illusions, because the second you KNOW the trick behind how they did it, you'll never truly be able to give yourself to the illusion ever again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but if it’s him lying to old ladies about talking to their dead husbands to swindle them of their savings then I can’t sympathize with that. Magician I’m okay with. That’s like wrestling at this point. People want to be fooled, and then try to find the trick. Palm readers, and mentalists prey exclusively on the weak.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

I don't know. Somehow, a pro wrestler leaving to become a magician/mentalist is just appropriate. 

About like the tendency for wrestlers to enter the ministry. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nate said:

About like the tendency for wrestlers to enter the ministry. 

When your indy wrestling career is over you have to decide between three grifts: wrestling school, religion, or con-artistry.

Multi-classing is both allowed and encouraged.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

After watching this year's Wrestlemania (GRONK PRESENTS PART 1), I just picked another Wrestlemania at random that I had no memory of, and ended up on Wrestlemania 13. 

4. The Chicago Street Fight -- Great. One moment where somebody from The Nation handed a 2x4 to Hawk when no one was looking, but it was an amazing brawl. All over the place. Bloody and messy and weird.

People say WM13 is a one match show, but I think the Street Fight is very underrated.  It has a more chaotic feel than you get out of WWF matches at the time.  

Also if you pay attention in the beginning, a future Colt Cabana can be seen in the crowd throwing punches at Hawk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Also if you pay attention in the beginning, a future Colt Cabana can be seen in the crowd throwing punches at Hawk.

Chicago blood feud that we didn't know about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Peck said:

Chicago blood feud that we didn't know about?

There was a small, very small, joke about Colt Cabana being a murderer years ago here, but damned if I remember the particulars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nate said:

There was a small, very small, joke about Colt Cabana being a murderer years ago here, but damned if I remember the particulars.

It's always the ones nobody suspects.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of you jokers needs to go into this thread and vote for TEAM BRIAN to break this tie. Or I'm going to fucking lose it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

One of you jokers needs to go into this thread and vote for TEAM BRIAN to break this tie. Or I'm going to fucking lose it.

You're welcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

People say WM13 is a one match show, but I think the Street Fight is very underrated.  It has a more chaotic feel than you get out of WWF matches at the time.  

Also if you pay attention in the beginning, a future Colt Cabana can be seen in the crowd throwing punches at Hawk.

I like that match, and I’ve always felt like that version of the NoD is underrated and should have stuck around longer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...