DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

El Camino was really good. 

Spoiler

The story translated perfectly into a truncated time scale and a very 'film' look. The duel with the welder didn't bother me because of how they built up to it -- Jesse as a character is notorious for not knowing when to do the right thing. They show him not shooting Todd, they show him not realizing the "cops" are thieves when it's too obvious, he whiffs on calling Forster's bluff. After all of it, he finally does the right thing at the right time. And it allows him to leave. 

Todd has to be one of the most fucked up characters ever. Every time I see that guy I am going to think of Todd, which I'm sure is a handicap for him, but he'll be remembered forever.

• Like 1

This weekend, the island of misfit cinemas premieres "The Invisible Man" and a movie invisible to most people ...

DISAPPEARANCE AT CLIFTON HILL

David Cronenberg is one of the stars, so it's guaranteed to be quite creepy and quite Canadian.

Edited by colonial
  • Like 2

Guns Akimbo was exactly what I thought it was going to be, a really dumb video game action movie with all the tropes you would expect. I had a good enough time with it and it would make a good double feature with Crank/Crank 2 or Hardcore Henry. If you ever wanted to see Harry Potter with guns screwed to his hands this is the flick for you.

It's strange that HBO seems to have In the Bedroom and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly on their offerings permanently, because, man, they have some stinky-bad movies, too.  I watched Season of the Witch, and the nicest thing I could say is it had the decency to have a 95-minute runtime.  Dumb, generic bullshit, but hey, I guess Ron Perlman got to pay some alimony or something, so...whatever.  Funny to see Stephen Graham & Claire Foy in it, because this has got to be their worst IMDb credit by a lot.

Then I made the even bigger mistake of watching Mortal Engines, which...whew, holy crap is it fucking awful.  I started it by saying, "Hey, that guy looks familiar" when it finally dawned on me that the male lead was in Season of the Witch!  Quite the pieces of bread for that shit sandwich in the career of one Robert Sheehan.  The CGI is well, pretty at times, I guess, but...ugh.  Everything else about this is just the worst.  Did George Lucas or Disney sue Philip Reeve or Peter Jackson, or both?  Because that should have happened.  All but maybe one serious emotional beat in the movie was ass-pulled out of one Star Wars movie or another.  The entire final climax feels like the endings of the first SW trilogy dumped into a blender.  Someone can put $200+ million dollars into this turd, but we can't get a good version of The Dresden Files...typical.

It's my week for work travel and I caught Rise of the Skywalker on the way out (see the thread!  I didn't like it!) and I just watched Joker on the way back.  I guess it was well acted and it sure looked nice, but the bottom line of it for me is that it was just cynical and misanthropic and had no reason to exist.  I mean there's no journey in it.  The guy is already fucked up when we meet him.  He just gets slightly worse during the course of the film.  I didn't feel sympathy for the character because he's such an unlikable mess from the word go.  As a result, his slight transformation into less likable murderer didn't make me feel anything.  "The world is shit and we'll watch it get incrementally shittier over the course of two hours" is not a great idea for a film.  I mean if you're a prospective school shooter, this is the movie for you, I suppose.  I can listen to "The Nobodies" by Marilyn Manson and get the same basic gist, told more artfully and with more feeling, in an hour and change less.

Don't treat mentally ill people poorly or they might just...shoot you, I guess?  So edgy.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

I am watching Pandorum and the editing is all-time bad. Quantum of Solace level editing. I don’t have the foggiest fucking clue what is going on and I’ve seen it before. 

There are just shapes moving on my screen, and a long take in this is about 0.3 seconds. 

12 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I am watching Pandorum and the editing is all-time bad. Quantum of Solace level editing. I don’t have the foggiest fucking clue what is going on and I’ve seen it before. 

There are just shapes moving on my screen, and a long take in this is about 0.3 seconds. 

Antje Traue strategically placed cleavage and Cung Le being a badass are the only reasons to watch Pandorum.

On March 3, 2020 at 3:50 PM, Contentious C said:

Dumb, generic bullshit, but hey, I guess Ron Perlman got to pay some alimony or something, so...whatever.

"I'm doing weapons training for this piece of shit, then I go to Romania to shoot another piece of shit, then come back to shoot my part in this piece of shit...[sighs]...What can I say? My wife loves shoes." I love this quote from Perlman. It explains a lot.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2020 at 11:35 AM, J.T. said:

Antje Traue strategically placed cleavage and Cung Le being a badass are the only reasons to watch Pandorum.

Funnily enough I thought it was a great film (or at least a great concept) apart from the bullshit shoe-horned Cung Le fist fight. And I still really want a laser razor

On 3/4/2020 at 9:02 PM, Technico Support said:

I didn't feel sympathy for the character because he's such an unlikable mess from the word go.

The unempathetic nature of this sentence is essentially the concept of the film. Outstanding work. Did you really miss how he was a guy trying to do his best and trying to get better only to be let down again and again until he was forced to turn into something he'd suppressed for so long? I've had a lot of mental health issues this past year and I found it to be one of the most realistic portrayals

I keep coming back to it but that scene on the stairway is legitimately one of the most powerful scenes I've ever seen in a film... just the nature of accepting who you are and embracing and living in it just wow'd me.

Edited by BurningBeard

1 hour ago, BurningBeard said:

The unempathetic nature of this sentence is essentially the concept of the film. Outstanding work. Did you really miss how he was a guy trying to do his best and trying to get better only to be let down again and again until he was forced to turn into something he'd suppressed for so long? I've had a lot of mental health issues this past year and I found it to be one of the most realistic portrayals

I keep coming back to it but that scene on the stairway is legitimately one of the most powerful scenes I've ever seen in a film... just the nature of accepting who you are and embracing and living in it just wow'd me.

That's a really good point.  Maybe if this film wasn't called "Joker" I would have been more empathetic.  The problem is you know from the first frame of the film exactly what he's going to become, so it's hard to see him as a sympathetic character.  Specifically because of prior knowledge of the character, at least this filmgoer saw him pretty much as the Joker already.  I don't think it was entirely my fault as a viewer, either.  The creators of the film were so heavy handed with his craziness -- see his John doe in Seven notebook in the film's second scene -- that it was hard to empathize rather then see him as a guy who already had this in him and nobody saw the signs.  I mean come on, the main passage in his book, which his therapist read, is grounds for involuntary committal.

So yeah, sorry if I came across as unsympathetic to anybody's issues other than those of Arthur Fleck, but selling me a homicidal maniac's origin story and going this hard from the get go, while hoping the audience has sympathy for mental illness, is trying to have it both ways.

As someone who has dealt with some shit myself, I also don't think mental illness should be portrayed as a zero sum game where if things don't work out for the sufferer, then murder is the only outlet.  But without the simple and insulting story of "crazy person is mistreated so he kills some people," we wouldn't have a movie.

Simplistic, insulting plot wrapped in a veneer of cynicism (young people really do mistake cynicism for wisdom), gussied up by pretty shots and a great performance by a generational actor. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

At our island of misfit cinemas, we get our share of films with odd casts ...

FINAL KILL

This film brings together Danny Trejo, Billy Zane, Randy Couture and ….. Dr. Drew

The lead actor looks like the love child of Keegan-Michael Key and Screech Powers.

• Like 1

i know there's quite a few fans of classic kung fu movies here, so i'm asking help in identifying a movie.

it's an old Shaw Bros flick and includes two guys fighting down an alley that gets progressively narrower. one or both keep changing their fight style to match their proximity.

sorry i don't have more info, but it was referenced on the Netflix doc "Iron Fists and Kung Fu Flicks". while the doc itself is pretty mediocre, this movie grabbed my attention.

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

i know there's quite a few fans of classic kung fu movies here, so i'm asking help in identifying a movie.

it's an old Shaw Bros flick and includes two guys fighting down an alley that gets progressively narrower. one or both keep changing their fight style to match their proximity.

sorry i don't have more info, but it was referenced on the Netflix doc "Iron Fists and Kung Fu Flicks". while the doc itself is pretty mediocre, this movie grabbed my attention.

Martial Club is your answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Execproducer Could you also help me finding a Kung-Fu flick too? The only things I remember about it were that the bad guy had long white hair, and matching colored beard. He used a deadly technique that required him to do a bunch complicated sequences that end with him stabbing his fingers(and I believe his victims fingers as well) into their chests. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

@Execproducer Could you also help me finding a Kung-Fu flick too? The only things I remember about it were that the bad guy had long white hair, and match colored beard. He used a deadly technique that required him to do a bunch complicated sequences that end with him stabbing his fingers(and I believe his victims fingers as well) into their chests. 

Your description would match a couple of hundred different films. Start from the best of the bunch and work your way down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Checking out a Showtime free preview weekend this morning and found myself watching the Happytime Murders.  Probably the worst movie I've seen in a long while.  Wikiepedia says the movie won Melissa McCarthy an award called "Actress Most in Need of a New Agent."   Richly deserved.

I"m probably going to have nightmares over the puppet semen gags (yes, there was more than one).

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Checking out a Showtime free preview weekend this morning and found myself watching the Happytime Murders.  Probably the worst movie I've seen in a long while.  Wikiepedia says the movie won Melissa McCarthy an award called "Actress Most in Need of a New Agent."   Richly deserved.

She reportedly was paid between $10 million and $17.5 million to be in the movie, so I think her agent actually did pretty well for her on that one.

• Like 2

If you're going to be overpaid to make a bad movie, ideally it would be one that never got released.

Anyway, I'm watching Brightburn and it really feels like a completely different movie than the one the trailer was selling. A less good one.

4 hours ago, EVA said:

She reportedly was paid between $10 million and $17.5 million to be in the movie, so I think her agent actually did pretty well for her on that one.

Depends. String together enough bad movies that flop, and you stop getting those 8 figure offers.

• Like 1