DVDVR Message Board

2020 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

13 hours ago, Control said:

Watched GHIDORAH, THE THREE HEADED MONSTER last night, and I don’t know if I need to see another Godzilla film—I think that had all the monster madness I needed.

Destroy All Monsters is even wackier and it is the best!  The plot is on par with a bad comic strip, but what does that matter?  It's all about the kaiju rally at the movie climax.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Tagging @Brian Fowler and @(BP) because I definitely remember them talking about TTYD a couple of weeks ago

I always thought that movie was ripe for a sequel set 25ish years after the band broke up. There’s competing Wonders on the oldies/state fair circuit(one with Lenny and one with the fill in bassist from the tv show), That Thing You Do is used in a commercial becomes a hit again and the original band reforms. It could go a darker route or stay with the tone of the original. 

12 hours ago, driver said:

Got home from work and Point Blank was playing on Movies!, I watched a few minutes of it and liked it enough to rent it on Prime for .99. Great movie and a hell of a cast.

I am assuming you are talking about the Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson one and not the one with Mickey Rourke and Danny Trejo or the one with Frank Grillo or the French one

On 4/10/2020 at 11:28 AM, AxB said:

The Princess Bride book is also very good. Don't skip the annotations though, they're the best bit.

It's only in the past 10-15 years that I learned S. Morgenstern didn't exist.

• Haha 1

So you know how people with storage devices like TiVo or SKY+, some of those people storage is never more than 10% full because they watch everything they record, whereas for others it's always at 90%+ capacity because they record stuff with the idea of getting around to it, then don't? If you're one of the second type, it can be fun to just scroll all the way down to the bottom and watch whatever the next thing to be deleted is. So I did that.

Falling Down (1993). Had never seen it before. Thought I probably should, but I was disappointed as soon as the opening credits started rolling and it turns out it was directed by Joel Schumacher. What a total hack he is. I remember when it came out, there was a lot of controversy about people identifying with Michael Douglas' character, thinking he was right to lose his marbles and start being a complete arsehole to everyone because the early 90s were a stressful time. But it's clear within the first couple of scenes that he's just a complete twat.

But anyway, this movie is not at all good. It's cheesily made, badly written and badly directed. It's as if nobody involved in it's creation had ever actually had a conversation with a human person, and therefore had no idea what human people talked like, or how they behaved. Also, this movie is massively bigoted. Not the characters in it (well, some of them), but the actual movie itself is super racist, sexist, homophobic, even ageist. Basically, this is "I'm not racist but..." The Movie.

I don't like what this movie stands for. I don't agree with the message it sends. But also, it's just flat out not good. A bad idea, badly executed. Schumacher is useless.

And now I'm watching San Andreas (2015) starring The Rock (born 1972) and Carla Gugino (born 1971) as his ex-wife, and Alexandra Daddario (born 1986) as their daughter. So they got a good start on the age-appropriate casting, but not a perfect one. Unless Dwayne and Carla are both playing characters older than their actual ages. The pre-credit James Bond scene features a girl driving on a cliff edge, paying no attention to the road and just reading her texts and that. Then there's a tremor and a little avalanche and she drives off the cliff, so the moral of the story is don't text and drive... except she got away with driving while looking over her shoulder with oncoming traffic, and reading texts with oncoming traffic, and was paying attention when the avalanche forced her off the road. So the moral is texting and driving is perfectly safe, and you only need to worry about natural disasters.

I can't relate to this movie. Too many rich people. Too much gratuitous opulence... unless the idea is that we're supposed to think that the characters in this disaster movie deserve to have disaster befall them. Oh look, it's Rickon Stark! 

EDIT: This looks like it cost a fortune to make. So much destruction!

It's not shying away from the fact that hundreds of thousands of people die in this movie, but it does that thing of cutting away before they actually die. Even the villainous cowards who clearly deserve it. And there's a distinct lack of actual dead bodies anywhere amidst the devastation. Lots of people fall to their deaths, lots of people get swept out to sea, before a massive tsunami sweeps in from the sea and mysteriously fails to flood the city with fresh wet corpses.

It's very much one of those "The death of one is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic" things. Very strange morality at play here.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

I watched SHAFT (1971) for the first time last night, and honestly It was pretty dull. COFFY & FOXY BROWN are much better. Pam Grier is so great that I almost want to track down her even sleazier women-in-prison films.

17 hours ago, AxB said:

And now I'm watching San Andreas (2015) starring The Rock (born 1972) and Carla Gugino (born 1971) as his ex-wife, and Alexandra Daddario (born 1986) as their daughter. ...

It's very much one of those "The death of one is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic" things. Very strange morality at play here.

I remember watching this with Mom, who is a cheesy disaster flick addict, and thinking much the same things you did. 

Most disaster flicks forget that there would be bodies everywhere. 2012 is also bad at this.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You ever seen Shaft(2000)? It’s a much more grounded movie, and also a post-Pulp Fiction inspired crime film, with probably one of Christian Bale’s best performances as the racist yuppie villain. 

I saw it when it came out and literally couldn’t tell you a single thing about it. I was 19 at the time and it was 20 years ago, so that doesn’t really say anything about the film.