DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

As a kid watching WCW Saturday night 22 years It hard to believe that Regal and Finlay are the 2 most influential guys on the inring product of the World Wrestling Federation.

I saw a clip on Twitter of Jaqueline vs Molly before she signed with WCW and they were putting on a clinic on a C WWF show. Jaqueline was used as basically the black Sherrie Martel in WCW and early in her WWF run. She came in to put over Sable. It wasn't until the Invasion angle finished that the Women started having competitive matches even if they were under 5 minutes. I wonder if Finlay wasn't brought in would they have ever gotten out beyond the Bra and Panties matches. He was a big proponent of them working competitive matches, especially ones without much inring experience. I know Trish was insistent on learning to work but Finlay kept the trend going. He started out mainly being an Agent of the Divas then later on he helped Batista become an excellent worker and countless others. 

Of course Regal was the guy the pushed for indie darlings getting deals after HHH and his contemporaries fround on those guys for years. He got Kashin working for them now its Bizarro world in hindsight 

50 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

go fuck yourself because you're a great guy

Recontextualise this statement slightly, and it implies that fucking oneself is just reward for greatness; Furthermore, a guy who is less than great should be discouraged (or outright banned) from any attempted self-fuckery.

• Haha 1

I know stuff is being talked about in separate threads, but holy shit did today go from nothing newsworthy to news from seemingly everywhere. Crazy to think about. 

EDIT:  To clarify I didn't know of the AEW sellouts, AAA venue change and NXT on USA news until after I left work.  So it took some time to unpack all that was going on at the time.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

49 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Son in Law is great. I remember In the Army being surprisingly not shitty.

I would definitely call those his two best, though I haven't watched Pauly Shore Is Dead.

I didn't really like Encino Man, sorry.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't want to tell you to go fuck yourself because you're a great guy, but... ?

That escalated quickly.

For the record, I like some Pauly Shore movies. In the Army Now happened to be one of the movie channels last night.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Son in Law is great. I remember In the Army being surprisingly not shitty.

I've watched In The Army once and my only memory of it is looking at my friends and saying "Well, at least it's almost over." Then I realized we were fifteen minutes into the movie. The only other movie that I had that feeling during was Leprechaun 4

• Haha 1

I used to have a lot of hobbies,  I'd go to the gym,  I'd hit up the driving range,  I'd go target practicing at the gun range,  I'd go deep sea fishing,  I'd play baseball and basketball in rec leagues,  I'd play football with friends,  I'd play a lot of video games,  I'd watch movies...  I still collect movies,  my 4K collection is growing..   but for the past few years it's all slowed down as I am caring for my elderly Dad and focusing on yard work and doing family things.  

Now that I'm thinking about it (and wow am I off-topic) but my stepsister met Pauly Shore a couple years back. She was very impressed and happy to report he told her she has huge boobs, so.... Yeah.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, D.Z said:

sB5Jrw0.jpg?1

Cesaro vs. Samoa Joe is the standout match. 

Pro: Should be great. You'll likely get the Cesaro Swing visual also.

Con: The two I want most to win, one will lose.

---

Ali vs. Buddy Murphy will be one to watch.

Edited by The Natural

Guessing/fearing an Owens 3:16 victory, either over Joe to get his win back or over Ricochet cause I can't have faith in Joe winning that many matches. Would prefer Drew or Andrade, hope Murphy has another good showing.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Now that I'm thinking about it (and wow am I off-topic) but my stepsister met Pauly Shore a couple years back. She was very impressed and happy to report he told her she has huge boobs, so.... Yeah.

One of my friends got a job working with his handler a few years back and she had nothing but terrible things to report. But then I hear nice things about him so I don't quite know what to think of him, ya know?

29 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

One of my friends got a job working with his handler a few years back and she had nothing but terrible things to report. But then I hear nice things about him so I don't quite know what to think of him, ya know?

No matter how much of an asshole you are, it's not that much trouble to be nice to someone for as long as it takes to have your photo taken with them. Unless you're James Corden, who is a massive cunt to everyone (unless they're famous (except Patrick Stewart)).

• Thanks 1

It’s gotta be “The Last King of Scotland” Drew McIntyre as the eventual winner. Vince loves his current tradition of putting the King gimmick on wrestlers from the UK. Hell I think the last four have been 3 brits, and an Irish. Drew will be the first Scott. Maybe one day we’ll eventually get a Welshman as King to complete the grand slam. Then when he gets Okada, he’ll have him win the tournament to become “Shogun of The Ring”.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

16 hours ago, D.Z said:

sB5Jrw0.jpg?1

My personal betting odds for winning the tournament

Drew McIntrye: 1.5/1

Baron Corbin: 2.5/1

Kevin Owens, Andrade: 4/1

Samoa Joe, Ricochet: 6/1

Ali, Buddy Murphy: 10/1

Cedric Alexander: 12/1

The Miz, Elias: 15/1

Cesaro: 20/1

Chad Gable 30/1

Sami Zayn, Apollo Crews, Shelton Benjamin: 50/1

At least if I wanted to profit off it.

Really, if it isn’t Drew, I think it’s Andrade. His side of the bracket for SD is a cake walk, which means I think him vs. Ali is the Smackdown final. Raw’s side looks trickier but I would lean towards Drew/Cedric as the Raw final, that or Corbin/Ricochet.

My best guesses as the final match by most likely to least

Drew vs. Ali

Drew vs. Owens

Andrade vs. Ricochet

Andrade vs. Alexander

Corbin vs. Ali or Owens (gross on the last one)

Im ready to be saddened all over again.

Edited by The Man Known as Dan

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Vince loves his current tradition of putting the King gimmick on wrestlers from the UK. Hell I think the last four have been 3 brits, and an Irish.

Bad News Barrett (2015), Sheamus (2010), William Regal (2008), Booker T (2006). 

I'll accept it.

12 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I know stuff is being talked about in separate threads, but holy shit did today go from nothing newsworthy to news from seemingly everywhere. Crazy to think about. 

Why? What happened?