DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

Man, that Jericho/Page match does nothing for me.

I like Page a lot but I think he needed a win over someone like PAC at DoN to rocketstrap him. He looked good in the battle royal but the top 3 matches felt like they were on another level in terms of star power. But they have time to build him up still. Maybe he’ll be the mystery partner for the Lucha Bros in that 6-man and get the pin on Omega?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Does anyone know if they're going to start out as a national touring promotion? I would think it would be safer to start regional and use the TV to build a following before increasing production costs by going cross country.

Bucks, Omega, Moxley and Jericho all have dedicated fanbases already, so I think they’re good there. But yeah when TV starts up, it’s a touring brand like WWE but with less days on the road IE house shows.

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Does anyone know if they're going to start out as a national touring promotion? I would think it would be safer to start regional and use the TV to build a following before increasing production costs by going cross country.

I would assume so. Having a national cable program, and doing one PPV on the west coast, then following it up with two on the east coast basically confirms their intentions. They aren’t going to take it easy like TNA, and ROH did.

edit: Oh you mean with like House Shows? Probably not, since they are letting guys work indies at the start. Yeah, they gotta be careful with that given House Shows seem to be a money pit nowadays.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I like Page a lot but I think he needed a win over someone like PAC at DoN to rocketstrap him. He looked good in the battle royal but the top 3 matches felt like they were on another level in terms of star power. But they have time to build him up still. Maybe he’ll be the mystery partner for the Lucha Bros in that 6-man and get the pin on Omega?

Agreed. They should definitely have brought someone in to replace PAC.

We have to face one hard reality......

standon.jpg

Edited by ComingToAmerica

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I would assume so. Having a national cable program, and doing one PPV on the west coast, then following it up with two on the east coast basically confirms their intentions. They aren’t going to take it easy like TNA, and ROH did.

edit: Oh you mean with like House Shows? Probably not, since they are letting guys work indies at the start. Yeah, they gotta be careful with that given House Shows seem to be a money pit nowadays.

They're letting guys work indies all the way up until October, then it's all hands on deck. Joey Janela said in an interview last weekend that he's only doing indies until the TV starts then he's strictly an AEW talent, I'm pretty sure Darby Allin is the same way. Bucks & Khan have said the same about house shows, as well.

Edited by Casey

6 hours ago, Archibald said:

Man, that Jericho/Page match does nothing for me.

If they had shifted Page out of the Battle Royal  and put him with MJF in a qualifying match for the World Title Match it would have made more sense.  Especially since they were the only two guys in the battle royal who could have actually won based off how they presented the rest of the roster.  They could have just shifted the following singles match competitors into the battle royal to make up the time.

Luchasaurus was signed according to AEW's twitter.  I hate his packaging.  I don't understand taking the 6'5" round kicking monster and giving them that name when it sounds like a opening comedy gimmick name and he doesn't wrestle like a luchador anyway.

I also don't get giving Jericho another finisher which is not an improvement over the code breaker and fills the same narrative function of the 'out of nowhere' finish.  I just don't get the point of it existing if it doesn't look as good as Almas' version which is a mid match move.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I also don't get giving Jericho another finisher which is not an improvement over the code breaker and fills the same narrative function of the 'out of nowhere' finish.  I just don't get the point of it existing if it doesn't look as good as Almas' version which is a mid match move.

There is a huge difference learning an ancient tecnique in a dojo, and learning it in the streets of Mexico. If Almas learned from a martial arts master he’d probably finish guys off like Jericho, and Shane.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

Luchasaurus was signed according to AEW's twitter.  I hate his packaging.  I don't understand taking the 6'5" round kicking monster and giving them that name when it sounds like a opening comedy gimmick name and he doesn't wrestle like a luchador anyway.

AEW didn't give Luchasaurus his name and gimmick. Here's some background info on him for you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Matelson

8 hours ago, Godfrey said:

The only acceptable mystery partner in that match is La Parka and everyone knows it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Jericho found a finish he can do until the day he dies. 

No one scares me more than when he goes for the Lionsault. It's like he's actively trying to cripple himself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

If we require wrestlers to do a move better than Andrade Almas before they can use it as a finisher, there's going to be a lot of people without finishers.

• Like 4

I think Hijo del Vikingo will tag with the Penta and Fenix, based on the twitter rumors they’d wanted him in the rumble and the AAA connection. He also has unique spots and can take the pin while still benefiting from the match. (If there’s one thing I hope Kenny and Co bring from Japan, it’s how to use multi man tags with variously tiered wrestlers.)

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It was a good interview, but I didn’t think there were that many cheap shots. He even said his grievance with Vince wasn’t personal, just creative.

That said, the story about Dusty seeing him as the coolest guy in the world and Vince seeing him as an idiot was cool.

35 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

That said, the story about Dusty seeing him as the coolest guy in the world and Vince seeing him as an idiot was cool.

That part, and the part about vignette that they had planned for Moxley in FCW being the inspiration for the trailer was neat.

Something I just thought of. What if the debut of AEW starts with the show fading into Chris Jericho live in the ring in the middle of him reading a long list of the people that should thank him for being the first AEW champion. 

• Haha 1