DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

8 hours ago, AxB said:

That's why they signed Awesome Kong and Nyla Rose. So they'd have monsters. As far as the men's division, if Luchasaurus starts as a tag team guy with Jungle Boy, then turns heel on him, he could be a monster heel for a bit. Terrorise the midcard, challenge the top guys, terrorise the midcard some more.

Yeah I'm not talking about Erick Rowan leaving Bray and his first feud being with the Big Show. If booked properly, a couple monsters on a roster (not like ? could be super beneficial as, for example,  a face heater and bulldozing heel.  Amazing foils for a roster like AEW that is generally smaller in stature.

8 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Yeah I'm not talking about Erick Rowan leaving Bray and his first feud being with the Big Show. If booked properly, a couple monsters on a roster (not like ? could be super beneficial as, for example,  a face heater and bulldozing heel.  Amazing foils for a roster like AEW that is generally smaller in stature.

Even just a couple doesn't work, because even then you might need four:

The face monster, aka the "You are going ONE-ON-ONE WITH THE UNDERTAKER!" guy for the "oh shit, the heel's in trouble."

The heel monster who destroys everyone and only the top star has a chance.

The face monster jobber, aka the "Oh shit, this guy threw THAT DUDE around like nothing? Shit's getting real."

The heel monster jobber, aka the "...okay, it's clear this guy's on the rise, he threw THIS DUDE around. He's going to be huge now."

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

I'm not gonna get wrapped up on numbers. At the end of the day, David vs Goliath has been a story that, when done right in pro wrestling, has made stars. That's my point. 

And the babyface didnt always need a foreign object to go over. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

So the Fyter Fest card is Janela vs Moxley, Cody vs Allin, Bucks & Omega vs Penta, Fenix & TBD, and... nothing else so far? Who's Hangman got?

I’d like too see Hangman vs MJF. Both deserve a match on every show. Seems like the right kind of event for the Best Friends vs Super Smash Bros. match. Put together a woman’s match and that’s probably the card. If they are treating these smaller events as their TV leading into All Out, I wouldn’t give more than 7 matches for the cheaper streaming price.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Casey said:

In reality, you'll probably get Ace Romero as a heel playing the "monster" role.

I'd prefer to see them keep Acey Baby as a face. If anyone should see the value in a charismatic blubbery guy in black trunks, who can really go in the ring, its the Rhodes brothers 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

"A lot of people might have misinterpreted the throne element of Double Or Nothing." Read: The majority wasn't pointing and laughing, but enough people were for Cody to notice. 

Good promo from Mox. Filming it in portrait is a great heel move. 

FWIW, Cody said the exact same thing about the throne during the media scrum after #DoN

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I guess Meltzer got updated info and he’s now saying Double Or Nothing did well above 98k buys.

That was always the case. He and others originally said the 98k only accounted for PPV orders for before and day of the show and it didn't account for any PPV orders the next day and it didn't account for Fite or B/R Live.

He said it accounted for traditional PPV and digital buys when he first reported the 98k.

“Double or Nothing is currently estimated at doing roughly 98,000 buys between television and digital PPV, with close to a 50/50 split between the two. This tells a lot about the audience because most current products do 15 to 25 percent of their orders digitally these days.”

Edited by Casey

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That was always the case. He and others originally said the 98k only accounted for PPV orders for before and day of the show and it didn't account for any PPV orders the next day and it didn't account for Fite or B/R Live.

Woah, so the 98K was all cable/satellite PPV Numbers? The internet buys have to be just as significant. This is looking like a runaway success for AEW.

What a month for wrestling in-ring, and business wise. I’m smelling a boom period on the horizon with all this interest in a rival promotion.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

May need to get an exact quote on that, because I'm googling it and I don't see anything other than the original report Casey quoted.

I mean other wrestling news outlets would want to repeat that story instead of the initial one, which is why it doesn't make sense.

16 minutes ago, alstein said:

If they got 98k buys on traditional PPV, and another 90k or so on streams, they're legit and will do well even if they lose half that number.  Even if it's 98k total they're doing ok.

I disagree with that.  98K for their first PPV was a huge number even if it includes traditional/digital.   WWE wasn't doing much above 100K for a lot of their B level shows before the network took off. 

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

May need to get an exact quote on that, because I'm googling it and I don't see anything other than the original report Casey quoted.

I mean other wrestling news outlets would want to repeat that story instead of the initial one, which is why it doesn't make sense.

Well at the moment I'm killing time while dealing with my mom who is having a mental break while she's in a physical rehab facility. I can only go off of memory at the moment so if I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but I know Dave said something on WOR about streaming numbers not being factored in.

Fun times! Trust me, I'd much rather be parsing through WOR podcasts instead of dealing with this since 6 am.

Edited by Craig H
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well at the moment I'm killing time while dealing with my mom who is having a mental break while she's in a physical rehab facility. I can only go off of memory at the moment so if I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but I know Dave said something on WOR about streaming numbers not being factored in.

Fun times! Trust me, I'd much rather be parsing through WOR podcasts instead of dealing with this since 6 am.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your mom, Craig.

29 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I disagree with that.  98K for their first PPV was a huge number even if it includes traditional/digital.   WWE wasn't doing much above 100K for a lot of their B level shows before the network took off. 

I'm assuming they won't keep these numbers for their next few.  All Out might not get much of a dropoff, but I'm expecting the 3rd one to be a big dropoff.  If it isn't, then I'll be fully convinced they're a lasting force.

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Thoughts and prayers to you and your mom, Craig.

Thanks, but them getting her anti-anxiety and anti-depression meds right, or, hell, FUCKING GIVING THEM TO HER, would probably work better in the interim.

I swear, if you're not on top of these places all the time they don't do anything right.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Thanks, but them getting her anti-anxiety and anti-depression meds right, or, hell, FUCKING GIVING THEM TO HER, would probably work better in the interim.

I swear, if you're not on top of these places all the time they don't do anything right.

I know it.

1 hour ago, alstein said:

I'm assuming they won't keep these numbers for their next few.  All Out might not get much of a dropoff, but I'm expecting the 3rd one to be a big dropoff.  If it isn't, then I'll be fully convinced they're a lasting force.

Why would there be a drop off? How many people saw DoN and thought it sucked? Not many, right? If Fyter Fest has good matches (it probably will) and Fight for the Fallen is a strong show (seems likely), why would anyone who bought the first three skip the fourth? Obviously if either show sucks ass, that would hurt the next one. But if they hit high quality on the first three shows, the only thing I see dropping off is WWE Network subscriptions.

EDIT: and Honor Club subscriptions. Maybe NJPW World as well, but I think there's an assumption that at some point NJ will dump ROH and go with AEW instead.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Just because I remember off the top of my head, summerslam 2013 did 190k buys. That was a big disappointment, but still that’s not a ton more buys.