DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

I like Jake Hager in interviews but he kills any interest I have in whatever promotion he shows up in. His run in the final season of LU is a chief reason I stopped watching (well, that and it stopped getting made). So please let it not be him.

Bringing in Moxley on show one might add to the ‘AEW takes WWE castoffs’ look especially since Spears was announced but PAC ditching them might force their hand.

@Flair’s Shadow brings up an interesting option with a New Japan guy. Maybe not Okada since this whole rigmarole started because Page is supposed to go over but there’s enough guys with enough cred that they could do that. SANADA maybe? They’re high on him so the exposure would be useful but he’s not at the level where he needs to win. I’m trying to think of an indie guy that could be positioned on the right level and I’m blanking right now. So many people got signed.

I could make a pretty long list of who I wouldn't want to see, and Moxley and Punk are pretty high on the list.  Not because of who they are themselves, but because of their annoying fucking fans that I'd never wish on any promotion.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I like Jake Hager in interviews but he kills any interest I have in whatever promotion he shows up in. His run in the final season of LU is a chief reason I stopped watching (well, that and it stopped getting made). So please let it not be him.

Bringing in Moxley on show one might add to the ‘AEW takes WWE castoffs’ look especially since Spears was announced but PAC ditching them might force their hand.

@Flair’s Shadow brings up an interesting option with a New Japan guy. Maybe not Okada since this whole rigmarole started because Page is supposed to go over but there’s enough guys with enough cred that they could do that. SANADA maybe? They’re high on him so the exposure would be useful but he’s not at the level where he needs to win. I’m trying to think of an indie guy that could be positioned on the right level and I’m blanking right now. So many people got signed.

We already discussed this here or somewhere else, but the entire notion of "x is just a WWE castoff and this promotion is just WWE castoffs" is dumb. By that logic, almost anyone is a WWE castoff.

A castoff is someone I'd label as a person even WWE didn't want AND they don't have much to offer creatively or in the ring AND they're immediately put over I guess what you could describe as home grown talent. Spears, for me, avoids the castoff label because I think the guy definitely still has something to offer whether if it's as a trainer or worker and there's no evidence he's going to be positioned on top like TNA tried to do with a bunch of different WWE guys. Moxley I definitely wouldn't call a castoff because he left on his own terms, refused to sign, can deliver on the mic, and can wrestle a number of different styles. In fact, I'd say that since he's free of WWE's stale booking and match layouts, he'll be even better now.

AEW doesn't need to scoop up every guy from WWE, but there's some guys where it makes sense for them to go after them. 

14 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

I could make a pretty long list of who I wouldn't want to see, and Moxley and Punk are pretty high on the list.  Not because of who they are themselves, but because of their annoying fucking fans that I'd never wish on any promotion.

Does Moxley even have that type of following, or are you talking about the women, and I suppose men too, who are fucking weirdos on Twitter about his relationship/marriage with Renee? Because yeah, I'd say no company needs people like that in their fanbase, but I also don't think they're the types of people that are going to be paying customers at live events.

Hell, even Finn Balor has his fair share of a weirdo fanbase and only one of them was prevalent at events and we haven't seen the "face fuck me Finn" woman in a long time.

Basically, in almost every interaction I have with a fan that gives me the douche chills, they're either wearing a Punk, Ambrose, or Impact shirt.

It's a pretty bad social media following in general.  Creepy stalkerish fans, not just the creepy girls that wanted to stab Renee and tweeted as much, but just some really skin crawling stalkery weirdo fans in general.   Bunch of notice me senpai motherfuckers, seriously.  So fun to get stuck next to them in line or at a show.  Personifications of zero chill.

If he doesn't get hired by AEW those fans might buy tickets and chant shit for him just like CM Punk fans buy WWE tickets just to chant his name at WWE shows.  It's gross, but I don't see an in-ring upside to hiring the guy as a personal preference.  Name value and merch sales, fuck yeah, hire the guy, those grubby troll weirdos will buy anything with his name on it.  He should sell his version of those Dracula's castle pendants containing dirt from his backyard.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

We already discussed this here or somewhere else, but the entire notion of "x is just a WWE castoff and this promotion is just WWE castoffs" is dumb. By that logic, almost anyone is a WWE castoff.

A castoff is someone I'd label as a person even WWE didn't want AND they don't have much to offer creatively or in the ring AND they're immediately put over I guess what you could describe as home grown talent. 

bd3a8040-0ce3-4e09-a6cc-aae43a0c2d11.jpg

How you doin'?

• Haha 4

Their new name for whereever they show up next, the Cazztoffz. Not a peep has been uttered about them on ROH tv, so this looks like a good sign ROH wised up and said, FUCK 'EM.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Their new name for whereever they show up next, the Cazztoffz. Not a peep has been uttered about them on ROH tv, so this looks like a good sign ROH wised up and said, FUCK 'EM.

Here's hoping. Not worth shit.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I was going to suggest Rampage Brown or Joe Hendry, but they're both already booked in Manchester on the 25th. Rampage has a world title defence and Hendry's in a 30 man rumble for a title shot. 

Not Alberto El Patron, because Cody knows he's a dick. Not D-Sizzle because he is a cast off (and not actually that good in the ring, plus he's a big guy who nobody thinks of as big, so he'd make Page look small). Aries just signed for MLW and nobody likes him (except me; I still think he's great). So, Cowboy James Storm it is.

36 minutes ago, AxB said:

I was going to suggest Rampage Brown or Joe Hendry, but they're both already booked in Manchester on the 25th. Rampage has a world title defence and Hendry's in a 30 man rumble for a title shot. 

Not Alberto El Patron, because Cody knows he's a dick. Not D-Sizzle because he is a cast off (and not actually that good in the ring, plus he's a big guy who nobody thinks of as big, so he'd make Page look small). Aries just signed for MLW and nobody likes him (except me; I still think he's great). So, Cowboy James Storm it is.

I still like Aries. 

13 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

So that was my first look at Hangman Page. He reminds me of a miniaturized Bobby Duncam Jr wrestling like he's Shawn Michaels. 

I have to say it's a weird combo.

I've never been able to explain why I can't get into Page and this describes it perfectly. 

52 minutes ago, AxB said:

Not D-Sizzle because he is a cast off (and not actually that good in the ring, plus he's a big guy who nobody thinks of as big, so he'd make Page look small).

Is that an actual name? I googled it and came up empty.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

A castoff is someone I'd label as a person even WWE didn't want AND they don't have much to offer creatively or in the ring AND they're immediately put over I guess what you could describe as home grown talent. Spears, for me, avoids the castoff label because I think the guy definitely still has something to offer whether if it's as a trainer or worker and there's no evidence he's going to be positioned on top like TNA tried to do with a bunch of different WWE guys. Moxley I definitely wouldn't call a castoff because he left on his own terms, refused to sign, can deliver on the mic, and can wrestle a number of different styles. In fact, I'd say that since he's free of WWE's stale booking and match layouts, he'll be even better now.

AEW doesn't need to scoop up every guy from WWE, but there's some guys where it makes sense for them to go after them. 

Oh, I agree, but that doesn’t change the fact that it does have that look to others (which is why I put it in quotes but I could’ve been clearer). I think AEW is aware of that stigma and want to avoid it, which is why I think they might stagger Moxley and Spears.