DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

Lucha Underground was TV-14 and it didn't do them any good ratings wise.  WHERE WERE ALL YOU MOTHERFUCKERS THEN

But hey, they got to say shit and fuck and people fucking got murdered on a regular basis both figuratively and in a literal sense (within kayfabe).  These are all fun things.

Edited by Tromatagon

Relax. 

TV-14 ratings gives AEW a chance to be different than WWE which is the only way they can survive and possibly thrive.

I got WWE & AEW fanboys going after me after every comment I make.

I just want some competition to WWE so it will improve their product. It might not happen though..AEW might be a flop right out of the gate.

We shall see.

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

TV-14 can be great when it's done right.  TV-PG can be great when it's done right.  I'll say this much,  I do like having the possibility of some juice but I also don't need it to be Starrcade '83. 

Exactly.

You can make a shitty wrestling show with a TV-MA rating (witness XPW TV as an example there.)

You can make a great wrestling show with as low as a TV-Y7 rating (Saturday Morning Slam was incredibly fun.) 

The TV rating doesn't make a good show, the writing does- and with how WWE does on TV-PG, a lot of going to TV-14 seems just like it's going to the "FUCK PG!!! BRING BACK DA ATTITUDE ERA!!!!111oneoneoneeleveneleven" crowd.

Edited by SorceressKnight
  • Like 2

The artform of pro wrestling is almost entirely based on the theme of retributive violence. I want color in the opener. I want dudes blading their chins even if they don't wear a mask. I want the play-by-play guys gigging themselves if they yell too loud. I'm thirsty for it. Be my oasis, Son of Dusty.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Exactly.

You can make a shitty wrestling show with a TV-MA rating (witness XPW TV as an example there.)

You can make a great wrestling show with as low as a TV-Y7 rating (Saturday Morning Slam was incredibly fun.) 

The TV rating doesn't make a good show, the writing does- and with how WWE does on TV-PG, a lot of going to TV-14 seems just like it's going to the "FUCK PG!!! BRING BACK DA ATTITUDE ERA!!!!111oneoneoneeleveneleven" crowd.

WCW Nitro from 95-97 was the most mature booked wrestling promotion, and they were super strict about blood, and language on their shows. That was fantastic, and aged like fine wine. You watch the WWF from that time period, and you get the urge to take a shower. So yes it’s all about how you book a promotion.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Maybe there's a lesson to take from that. 

What would be the lesson?

Ive given my opinion good & bad about current happenings in both companies.

What have I done wrong?

Do I need to be automatically pro WWE or pro AEW at all times?

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

WCW Nitro from 95-97 was the most mature booked wrestling promotion, and they were super strict about blood, and language on their shows. That was fantastic, and aged like fine wine. You watch the WWF from that time period, and you get the urge to take a shower.

Of course, and that's a big reason for the "Bring back the Attitude Era!" to go through...no. No it won't work.

The matches in the Attitude Era were hot garbage, the storylines aged like mayonnaise. You can't even say "well, the Attitude Era was about unpredictability, which wrestling badly needs right now!", because a lot of the Attitude Era stuff was a Pandora's Box where you'd have to go further than that.

There's a reason when people talk about the match quality and storylines of the Attitude Era, most of the time people are waxing poetic about how good 2000 WWF was (when they had good workers, and they loosened things up just enough to have things that don't make you cringe while still keeping the "everyone has something to do and is seen as important" nature.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He also LOVES Seinfeld; the more Seinfeld references you throw in, the more he'll like you.

Fun fact: Jungle Boy was born almost exactly a year before the final episode of Seinfeld aired!

tenor.gif?itemid=4821547

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

There's a reason when people talk about the match quality and storylines of the Attitude Era, most of the time people are waxing poetic about how good 2000 WWF was (when they had good workers, and they loosened things up just enough to have things that don't make you cringe while still keeping the "everyone has something to do and is seen as important" nature.

Even then, that got to be too much.  So many people meant something that the only one on one singles match you got at WrestleMania 2000 was Terri vs The Kat.  I was there live.  It was cool to see all your favorites, but I still hate 90% of non-elimination multi-man matches to this day (even though the main was an elimination match).

I'll tell you what they should do about Page's match, baby!  Have Page issue an open challenge via the internet machine and then while he's in the ring waiting for his opponent, an SUV rolls into the arena and out pops COLONEL ROBERT PARKER!  The Colonel introduces his new charge, "The Wild-Eyed Southern Boy" Tracy Smothers who tells the audience that if anybody chants "Tracy Sucks" then everybody dies!  He charges into the ring and gets superkicked immediately but when Page goes for the cover, the Colonel says that's not his opponent and opens the door to the SUV and out pops "The Cowboy" James Storm who charges into the ring, ducks a superkick and delivers one of his own and as he goes for the cover Page small packages him but the Colonel yells to stop counting cause Storm's not his opponent either and opens the SUV and out pops the savage strong man with the swag Jake Hager who charges into the ring and takes Page to a cul-de-sac's worth of suplexes and pulls off his killer cowboy boot and locks on an ankle lock and then the Colonel says it's time for Page to meet his opponent for the evening and out of the driver's side exits BUNKHOUSE BUCK who takes Page's boot and immediately whacks him in the head with it giving Page a DQ victory but The Stud Stable don't seem fazed by the loss and keep beating the shit out of Page and end up hogtying him and throw him in the SUV and take off down the strip where they end up at that wedding chapel where the Colonel almost married Sherri Martel.

They throw Page out in front and they all put on bow ties and put one over Page's mouth like a gag.  When the minister asks which one of them is going to be marrying Page, Missy Hyatt exits the SUV and walks to the back of the SUV and opens the door where the Stud Stable pull out a tied up Burnard The Business Bear.  Hyatt puts a wedding veil on Burnard's head and The Stud Stable forcibly nod Page and Burnard's heads up and down for the vows and then force them to kiss to seal the deal.  Then Missy Hyatt pulls Page's wedding gift out of her Gucci purse, a pack of condoms cause even though it's his honeymoon he probably doesn't want to go bearback with Burnard cause she's heard that the kind of business Burnard is into is risky business, baby.  Then they pull a wedding cake out of the SUV, it's a big SUV alright.  LUXURY!  And they smash Page's face in it and call him "fatty" and then roll away laughing and laughing as Burnard attempts to console his new husband.

Why did The Stud Stable engage in this heinous plan?  How will Adam Page avenge himself while dealing with the damn numbers game?  What kind of STDs does Burnard have?  And most importantly how will The Stud Stable's RAP (Replacement Above Pac) numbers be scored?  All these questions and more will probably never be answered cause they'll just use someone like Shawn Spears as PAC's replacement.

Edited by BEN!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fucking right!

Parker will show him who really has the horse meat, baby.

Page thinks he has all the answers until The Colonel tells him that wasn't a bullrope around his neck this whole time.  Even when he flew to Japan.  And that's it flacid.

Edited by Tromatagon

1 minute ago, Tromatagon said:

Even then, that got to be too much.  So many people meant something that the only one on one singles match you got at WrestleMania 2000 was Terri vs The Kat.  I was there live.  It was cool to see all your favorites, but I still hate 90% of non-elimination multi-man matches to this day (even though the main was an elimination match).

If you wonder why I'm cynical about the sport now- this is the example for why in a nutshell: That was terrible, but it had to happen. 

Part of making everyone mean something is to realize that eventually, you get to a point where they all want them to be the World Champ and no matter who you pick, the rest will be devastated. You end up with- for example, WWE making Seth Rollins the face of the company. Rollins is good, but that's it. Only a few fans get excited for Rollins...but he'd be in a large amount of fans' top 5 and the vast majority of fans' top 10. Rather than the choice the WWE fans LOVE, he's the choice the vast majority of WWE fans can LIVE WITH...and when you're choosing the top star based on "He's not my favorite guy, but I can live with this", you won't get people EXCITED.

3 hours ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

It could be great news for the older fanbase AEW is trying to attain. Remember, the Attitude Era was under TV-14 ratings.

The Attitude Era was WW.'s nadir in terms of quality. Nowadays they have good to great matches undercut by terrible writing. Back then the matches AND writing were terrible.