Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Is the consensus that the Steiner Math promo is actually an all-time great promo, or do people just laugh at it because of the crazy math?

 

Delusional heel Steiner doing crazy math to boast about how great he is seems legit all-time amazing, like the type of slightly unhinged promo that stands up there with the best of them. 

That's pretty much my reason for loving it so damn much.  The guy's out of his mind and him saying stuff like this with Petey trying to follow along is legendary in my eyes.  If somebody did make sense of that then they should deserve some kind of prize or something.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

IN OTHER NEWS...

Road Dogg seems to think the Becky heel turn is going just fine, why do you ask?

 

Of course the booking seems fine when you've smoked yourself retarded.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

Since Austin vs Vince was the biggest money making angle of all time, it will never go away and every Fed will lean on it.

 

 

I will defend it to my death that in the long term, Austin/McMahon was one of the worst things ever to happen to wrestling. That, and the nWo. I would have been perfectly happy with wrestling never getting as big as it did, but remaining a niche product with a loyal audience.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That's pretty much my reason for loving it so damn much.  The guy's out of his mind and him saying stuff like this with Petey trying to follow along is legendary in my eyes.  If somebody did make sense of that then they should deserve some kind of prize or something.

Oh yeah, it definitely is funny, but if I recall correctly, at first people generally laughed at it because it was coked-up Scott Steiner saying dumb shit on a low-rent TNA PPV. The reaction seemed mocking to me.

However, in 2018, I feel like maybe that consensus has changed to "all-time great promo by a very good promo man," which is no less than that promo deserves because it is so good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

WWF might have most likely died without the attitude era. (Very sure their financials was bad) But WCW probably might have been spared of pure Russso. ECW probably might have tapped into the zeitgeist of the times (market) even more so without the WWF around.

Anyway the current wrestling industry is already a niche market. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Oh yeah, it definitely is funny, but if I recall correctly, at first people generally laughed at it because it was coked-up Scott Steiner saying dumb shit on a low-rent TNA PPV. The reaction seemed mocking to me.

However, in 2018, I feel like maybe that consensus has changed to "all-time great promo by a very good promo man," which is no less than that promo deserves because it is so good. 

I wouldn't say it's a good promo in the traditional sense.  But if you're looking through that lens then it was something that crazy-ass Scott Steiner would say on TV and that is uniquely him.    Sometimes to me the nonsensical makes sense if that's what he was portraying on TV.   But I never mocked him for it for that reason and as wacky as it is it sure is memorable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Is the consensus that the Steiner Math promo is actually an all-time great promo, or do people just laugh at it because of the crazy math?

 

Delusional heel Steiner doing crazy math to boast about how great he is seems legit all-time amazing, like the type of slightly unhinged promo that stands up there with the best of them. 

It's an all time great promo. The math; Steiner's incomprehensible speech at times; Petey Williams, as Maple Leaf Muscle trying to make sense of it all. It has it all.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nah, I don't think we make it.

 

Without watching, my money is on the mongoose, those little bastards are fast. Did you know that a black mamba is the only venomous snake that will actually chase you? True dat. Mean SOBs. Most snakes just want to get away from you, the black mamba wants you to be very, very sorry that you ever saw it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Without watching, my money is on the mongoose, those little bastards are fast. Did you know that a black mamba is the only venomous snake that will actually chase you? True dat. Mean SOBs. Most snakes just want to get away from you, the black mamba wants you to be very, very sorry that you ever saw it.

Plus, the mongoose is immune to snake venom. Jeff Hardy should start painting his face to look like a mongoose. After all, he did just take out "The Viper".

...and that's how I tie this back into a wrestling discussion

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Most snakes just want to get away from you, the black mamba wants you to be very, very sorry that you ever saw it.

They deliver a gargantuan amount of venom in every strike.  So I've heard it said.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Plus, the mongoose is immune to snake venom. Jeff Hardy should start painting his face to look like a mongoose. After all, he did just take out "The Viper".

...and that's how I tie this back into a wrestling discussion

Nicely done! Actually, Jeff does somewhat look like a mongoose. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, nate said:

They deliver a gargantuan amount of venom in every strike.  So I've heard it said.

Just enough to kill 15 guys my size, I'm a shade under 6' and 250 lbs.  I've also heard that they will bite more than once, just to make a good job of it. Rather unpleasant creatures and I'm generally fond of reptiles. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Honey badger would take out any mofo 

Honey badgers are nothing to fuck with, they will attack lions if they're feeling froggy.

Why has no lucha guy used "Honey Badger" as a gimmick, I mean this shit just writes itself...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nah, I don't think we make it.

 

Steiner math, airport stalkers, Randy Orton handshakes, venomous reptiles, honey badgers, and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, this thread has it all. Rippa should sticky this as an example of the boards' general erudition. You don't see shit like this on Meltzer's board, now do you?

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Steiner math, airport stalkers, Randy Orton handshakes, venomous reptiles, honey badgers, and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, this thread has it all. Rippa should sticky this as an example of the boards' general erudition. You don't see shit like this on Meltzer's board, now do you?

Agreed. I thought the conversation regarding airport stalkers was pretty well managed too. Fair play.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Agreed. I thought the conversation regarding airport stalkers was pretty well managed too. Fair play.

For my part, I tried not to be inflammatory. I thought it was handled well by everyone minus one guy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Steiner math, airport stalkers, Randy Orton handshakes, venomous reptiles, honey badgers, and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, this thread has it all. Rippa should sticky this as an example of the boards' general erudition. You don't see shit like this on Meltzer's board, now do you?

DVDVR: the gift that keeps on giving, but not re-gifting

unlike like Tim Watley, or Walter White as some may know him

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...