DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

28 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

Not sure if this is the right place or if its even happend yet. But does anyone know if Cornette has had a take on the events that happened at Punk Pro Wrestling yesterday?

I have it on good authority he went outside and yelled at the clouds.

• Haha 4

Last time I went to a Shoney's, I got a breakfast buffet, and they had diced up cajun fries (posing as home fries) and dirty rice from the Bojangles next door on the buffet.

I won't lie, I got a few of the fries.

Compared to that, Steiner's place looks like a fine-dining establishment.

It amazes me how Corny can't just accept silly things for what they are. Omega wrestling a 9 year old girl or Ibushi wrestling a blow up doll are comedy not meant to be taken seriously. I mean, does Al Pachino go on an obscene tirade about how the Naked Gun/Airplane/Zucker Brothers movies destroyed the movie industry?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steve said:

Last time I went to a Shoney's, I got a breakfast buffet, and they had diced up cajun fries (posing as home fries) and dirty rice from the Bojangles next door on the buffet.

“Yeah, they’re day-olds. The homeless won’t even touch them.”

C59478_BA-177_B-4_A15-99_DF-3_EACC44_C99

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, muhammedboehm said:

Not sure if this is the right place or if its even happend yet. But does anyone know if Cornette has had a take on the events that happened at Punk Pro Wrestling yesterday?

He'll say it was stupid and people will try to argue with him even though he'll be right. 

21 minutes ago, sabremike said:

It amazes me how Corny can't just accept silly things for what they are. Omega wrestling a 9 year old girl or Ibushi wrestling a blow up doll are comedy not meant to be taken seriously. I mean, does Al Pachino go on an obscene tirade about how the Naked Gun/Airplane/Zucker Brothers movies destroyed the movie industry?

Those things are not really related. But that mentality is why wrestling is where its at now. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Victator said:

He'll say it was stupid and people will try to argue with him even though he'll be right. 

Those things are not really related. But that mentality is why wrestling is where its at now. 

It breaks the internal consistency of the product.  Yes, wrestling is fake and no one would really take an Irish whip and all that shit but Buffy the Vampire Slayer is fake too and if Buffy suddenly shot fucking laser beams out of her eyes with no explanation, it would break the narrative.  Now in wrestling, anything can happen and when that is the case, nothing matters.  I can't care about your heel if I saw a tween beat the hell out of him.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cheers. The Sinister Minister with the Unholy Alliance of Tajiri and Mikey Whipwreck is one of my favourite ever wrestling tandems. Liked the entrance music as well.

My favortite detail about the Unholy Alliance is his awful WCW experience causing Mikey to lose his mind.

• Like 3

We used to hammer Shoney's breakfast bar after church on sundays. Good times.

I didn't get to weigh in on Sasha as it pertains to her spot/talent level, and I understand why she's upset, but I find her notion that she should be where Alexa is because she loved the business more than Alexa did as a child is fairly ludicrous. I don't get to play first base for the Braves because I've been a rabid fan my entire life. She's not a better television performer than Alexa is, and that's why she's not where Alexa is. Is Sasha he better in-ring worker? Absolutely, but, in my opinion, Sasha isn't Becky or Asuka in the ring, either. I can't really think of anything off of the top of my head that Sasha does better than anyone else on the roster. Alexa knows what her character is and plays it to the nines every week. 

As far as how well liked the two girls are backstage, I'm not sure it's fair to evaluate that based on what we see from social media and limited exposure on UpUpDownDown. Each girl seems to have friends in the locker room. Sasha has New Day, Naomi, et al, but Sasha's also had heat with Charlotte, Paige and Alexa (that we know of) due to her attitude. Alexa's no stranger to the UUDD stuff either, though, and she appears to be close to Ember Moon, Carmella, Bayley, and Becky Lynch. The point is that none of us really know the nature of these performer's relationship with one another, and to use speculation based on our limited scope seems pretty dumb. 

WWE seems to have a real issue moving forward in regards to the women's division. It's clear that they see Ronda as their fastest route to greater legitimacy for the brand as they head into their deal with Fox, but I question whether Ronda will still be there by the time that transition takes place. She's been adamant that she wants to have a child sooner rather than later, and I can't see her run having a ton of shelf life. When she does inevitably leave, WWE is left with a division that compromised the credibility of the majority of it's full time performers to shine a spotlight on Ronda Rousey. And, furthermore, I really don't see anyone in NXT that's capable of being a star even on the level of Bayley or Sasha. If it were me, I'd base the Raw division on Ronda and build to Charlotte making the jump. Perhaps Charlotte loses a "loser leaves the brand" match to Becky before the women's Rumble. (Evolution?) That makes the rumored 4Horsewomen battle at Survivor Series more compelling, if Charlotte and Becky despise each other going into the match, perhaps with one deserting the team mid-match. Id's send both Bayley and Sasha to the opposite division of Ronda, keeping them out of her massive shadow. Charlotte wins the women's Rumble from either the 1 or 2 slot, leaving any idea of nepotism out of her victory, then builds to her match with Ronda. Then you have Bayley and Sasha to work with Becky, Asuka, and Naomi on the blue team. Maybe Alexa makes her way over there, too, since Raw has Nia, Ember Moon, and the Riott Squad, as well as Dana Brooke and Alicia Fox, and maybe you put Kaitlyn on that brand if she returns full time. That way you get more value from Sasha, Bayley, Becky and Charlotte, which is the backbone of that division.

JMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

It breaks the internal consistency of the product.  Yes, wrestling is fake and no one would really take an Irish whip and all that shit but Buffy the Vampire Slayer is fake too and if Buffy suddenly shot fucking laser beams out of her eyes with no explanation, it would break the narrative.  

Kenny and Ibushi’s more business exposing stuff all happened in DDT though—or other, smaller indie shows, while they worked for DDT—which has always featured goofy comedy underneath serious wrestling, so the blowup doll stuff didn’t break the established tone of the product. It didn’t even prevent DDT from drawing really well when they did have straightforward matches, and New Japan’s doing its best business in a long, long time, so I don’t think there’s a reality-based argument to be made that they’ve hurt any of their employers. (Which is totally separate from whether or not one enjoys it.)

To digress a bit: There’s no singular reason why wrestling isn’t “how it used to be”, but as much as anything, it’s useful to emphasize that the mainstream has fragmented (even while corporate ownership increasingly homogenizes those fragments). Ratings and live attendance are down for everything and everyone, and cultural omnipresence is fleeting, if it exists at all. There’s no more sense in lamenting that families don’t habitually sell out the local fairgrounds anymore than the dirth of VHS rentals at the grocery store. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

They're aware that there are Canadian markets that would come to a television taping which aren't in Ontario and Quebec, right? 

Flin Flon???????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

They're aware that there are Canadian markets that would come to a television taping which aren't in Ontario and Quebec, right? 

Toronto is the centre of the Canadian Universe, pal.