DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 hour ago, Peck said:

This is Izzy's opponent that evening:

I assume at some point those pool cues behind him are going to find their way up his ass.

I hope there's video of the whipped cream ass eating available and it finds its way to Jim Cornette. I'd want to watch the reaction video where Corny's head explodes watching a grown man eat whipped cream out of another man's ass in a wrestling ring.

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

Quick thought/question: one of the big things about the Evolution show is the idea that the women's matches are of a comparable quality to the men. Knowing that why is WWE booking matches on this show that probably won't be very good? Shouldn't the goal be to have a blow away show that everyone raves about, not a steady diet of **1/4 matches?

It's not about the matches it's about the MOMENTS.   WWE doesn't think people want to watch good wrestling. 

The funny thing about it is that it was the women having great matches that made this "evolution" work in the first place. WWE has forgotten that. 

I'm convinced the matches they announce and the final order of them come the day of the show will reflect the "evolution" of women's wrestling in modern WWE. For example, the matches you know will be shitty, like Brie vs Maryse, will be towards the bottom of the card/start of the show, and as the night progresses - in theory - we'd get better matches with better workers.

But in reality, it's probably just that WWE has lost touch with what made the fans start to appreciate the women's matches more. This is looking more and more like a full length PPV version of the women's Royal Rumble (legends/one night only return matches, etc). That's not what the majority of people want out of Evolution I'd imagine, but hey, whatever.

• Like 1

I only want legends if AJ Lee is one of them. Both because I'm a huge fan and too make all the CM Punk fans who can't let it go get so excited for him coming back while it never, ever happens.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Casey said:

This is looking more and more like a full length PPV version of the women's Royal Rumble (legends/one night only return matches, etc). That's not what the majority of people want out of Evolution I'd imagine, but hey, whatever.

There is literally only one official match announced so far. The other match we know will be on (look at the MYC spoilers if curious) is a proven good match. How is it looking like the RR?

18 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I only want legends if AJ Lee is one of them. Both because I'm a huge fan and too make all the CM Punk fans who can't let it go get so excited for him coming back while it never, ever happens.

I will be happy if AJ never returns other than to go into the HOF. Same with Punk.

Brie/Maryse is rumored, plus Nikki Bella supposedly challenging Rousey for the belt. If Trish is coming out of retirement for a match, you’ve gotta assume Lita will too most likely. You really think they’re going to fill the card up with Alicia Fox versus Mickie James or something? Come on. This is going to have a lot of past names on the card - if it doesn’t, I’ll eat my words for sure, but I’d almost put money on that being the case.

Sasha Banks needs a big bout as she's the best women's wrestler. Look at her catalogue of matches from NXT in 2005 to present day and how many women have their best match with her. 

Vs. Bayley at NXT TakeOver: Respect 2015.

Vs.Charlotte on RAW, November 2016 in a No DQ Falls Count Anywhere match.

Vs. Becky Lynch from NXT TakeOver: Unstoppable 2015.

Vs. Nia Jax on RAW last year. 

Asuka's on the main roster from the post Royal Rumble 2018 RAW. 

vs. Alexa Bliss. The SummerSlam 2017 or RAW two weeks later is the pick of them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Is this the point of the month where we are trying to get the monthly thread locked? Or did this actually happen?? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Brie/Maryse is rumored, plus Nikki Bella supposedly challenging Rousey for the belt. If Trish is coming out of retirement for a match, you’ve gotta assume Lita will too most likely. You really think they’re going to fill the card up with Alicia Fox versus Mickie James or something? Come on. This is going to have a lot of past names on the card - if it doesn’t, I’ll eat my words for sure, but I’d almost put money on that being the case.

I never heard anything about Maryse vs. Brie outside of expectations from fans due to their husbands feuding. The Nikki rumor likely is because of not wanting to turn Nattie after her father's death. Its also not necessarily a bad match depending on what Nikki is physically up to health wise. Right now they are still just rumors. The card is supposed to have at least 50 women. While I expect women from the past I also expect most of the names participating past or present to be in tags or a likely battle royal. Why would I expect Mickie vs. Alicia Fox?

The buildup of Nattie as Rousey's friend and training partner was seemingly leading to a turn, until Anvil passed away. The Bellas have been shoehorned in as Rousey supporters since SummerSlam, so I think a win over Nattie was the original gameplan.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dewar said:

The buildup of Nattie as Rousey's friend and training partner was seemingly leading to a turn, until Anvil passed away. The Bellas have been shoehorned in as Rousey supporters since SummerSlam, so I think a win over Nattie was the original gameplan.

I think the plan was (and still is) eventually for her to wrestle the competent veteran Nattie because Nattie is capable of guiding her to a quality bout. But for name value, I expect it wouldn't have been the plan for Evolution. I think they're looking for bigger matches for the show.