DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXIV

MonteCarl

One thing that stuck out to me revisiting some of the WM cards for the tournament was how often they'd do DQ or countout finishes in the early years. I know it was a different time, but it was always the biggest show of the year. Was there a particular reason, maybe something to do with post-Mania house show loops,  that led them to protecting so many guys and not giving conclusive finishes? 

Nakamura vs. AJ - hardest one to call. I think pre-Bryan being cleared, Nakamura winning/AJ going to RAW seems a given. Now I'm not so sure. Don't think Nakamura is over enough, or they've invested enough time into him to justify turning down an AJ/Bryan program whilst it's still on the cards. AJ/Bryan/Nakamura at the next PPV would be huge. I think a Flair/Steamboat double pin finish makes the most sense here, especially if they're getting a new GM.

Reigns over Lesnar

Rousey taps out Steph

Taker over Cena with a bunch of ridiculous run-ins.

I feel like Dolph costs Bryan/Shane the match.

Carmella cashes in on Nia and moves to RAW. Awkward Mickey/Carmella alliance ensues as Nia chases.

Asuka beats Charlotte now that there's an injury issue. I think Charlotte ends the streak eventually though.

Bludgeon Brothers win and have the AOP answer an open challenge on SD.

Braun goes it alone, Jason Jordan steals the pin. Gets to work Mania with a broken freakin neck just like his Dad, and ditched his deadweight partner Rollins. Jordan spends his rehab hiding behind both Braun and his Dad as GM.

Finn wins the big one, Miz goes on leave. Rollins deals with the returning Jordan.

Roode regains the US title, and gets his win back against Orton at the next PPV.

Maria Menounos wins the Not-Moolah.

AtGM - Samoa Joe

Cedric Alexander beats Mustafa Ali. 

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm fairly certain Brock/Roman was penciled in at that point (and Cena/Taker)

Possibly in the beginning. As you mentioned, Brock wasn't interested in working with Shane. Once Goldberg returned with the promise of winning a world-level title, Brock supposedly suggested they work together. Shane saw AJ would be available for a WM match, and they went with that. 

It gets murky with Cena/Taker/Roman. Cena/Taker was in play early on, but it seems Taker told Vince last year was going to be it for him. They had planned on doing Taker/Reigns at some point anyway, so they pulled the trigger. There's a decent argument either way whether Taker wanted to do the Cena program last year or give a final rub to a younger, full-time talent. But Taker certainly has enough pull that if he didn't want to work with Roman, he could and would have said no. Plus many forget that Taker is on good terms with the Anoa'i/Fatu family and probably saw a chance to honor that relationship.

Supposedly, some combination of Vince and/or Kevin Dunn thought having Cena/Nikki in a mixed tag match combined with a proposal would make for good mainstream press. They had flirted with Miz/Maryse vs Ambrose/Renee, but that got scrapped. So they shifted Miz over to feuding with Cena and that took off.

Only thing really in question is who formally suggested Roman for Taker. But as I mentioned, Taker could have vetoed it if it was indeed Vince's suggestion.

Specifically, when they had Undertaker pop up on SmackDown on the Survivor Series go-home show, I think that was because he was going to work Cena. When he came back suddenly on RAW, it was because they reshuffled him to Roman.

Nakamura beats Styles - It's more of a questionable victory,  something like the ref misses AJ's shoulder getting up just before the three count after Nakamura hits the knee to face

Reigns over Lesnar - Most duh finish of all time

Steph pins Rousey - Long-term pay off here. Angle and Steph have continued their affair that was off and on back in 2000 and working together on RAW rekindled their romance. Hunter is oblivious of the relationship. Rousey locks in her armbar on Steph but Angle breaks it up and hits the Angle Slam on Rousey allowing Steph to pin Rousey.

Cena over Taker - Story is Taker really is done and cannot compete which is why he's lost 's 3 of the last 5 Mania matches with his wins coming against Shane McMahon and Bray Wyatt.

Bryan/Shane win - Zayn/Owens end up on RAW the next night. Main event will be Zayn/Owens vs. Roman Reigns for the Universal Title (If Zayn/Owens win they both win the Universal Championship and will get a one on one match at the next PPV to decide who the champion is)

Nia Jax wins - Pre-Show Squash 

Asuka beats Charlotte - Charlotte reluctantly taps out

Bludgeon Brothers win - New Day and Usos are unable to do anything against the two men

WWE HOFer Mark Henry is Braun's tag partner. Cesaro pins Henry - Post match, Braun and Henry get into it with Henry hitting the World's Strongest Slam, just as Henry starts to walk away, Braun yells out "I'm not done with you yet!" and proceeds to destroy Henry

Rollins wins the IC Title - Distractions by the Miztorage and Club allow for Rollins to pin Balor with the Miz outside the ring. Miz flips out over losing his title without being involved in the decision.

Rusev wins the US Title on Rusev Day at RusevMania - Orton taps out to The Accolade

Becky wins the Not-Moolah. Finish is a copy of the 1992 Rumble with Sasha Banks in the Hulk Hogan role, Bayley as Sid Justice and Becky as Ric Flair.

AtGM - Elias wins since he's the most over person not on the card. 

Mustafa Ali wins the CW Title - Cedric likely was the one most likely to win but I think Ali's been killing it on promos and I could see Hunter wanting to go with Ali right now.

I do think this ended up being a stacked card but the match order is crucial on these huge 5+ hour shows.  I think the kickoff matches will be the Andre Battle Royal and probably the cruiserweight title match.   

Even with Rusev's involvement  (which is awesome and what I thought they should do) I don't believe the match itself has much interest going in.  It could be a kickoff match but does WWE have the balls to stick Randy Orton on the kickoff?  I don't think so.  

I cannot see them sticking Braun on the kickoff so him and mystery partner will be somewhere in the middle of the show.  Shame for Braun because he deserved better.  He carried RAW this year. 

You would think the women's battle royal wouldn't make the main show but remember it is a "first" and I don't think they want to completely bury it.  I think Sasha and Bayley deserved better but I won't beat a dead horse. 

AJ Styles vs. Nakamura is exactly the type of hot match you'd want to start off the main show with but I do not want that to happen.  I think the WWE title should be no lower than second or third from the top.  I hated when Edge vs. Del Rio opened the show.  

So,  my opener would be the Smackdown tag team titles. You have New Day and the Usos who are two of the top 10 WWE tag teams of all time and are incapable of having a bad match with one another and throw in the Bludgeon Bros and it's gonna be chaotic. I think it'd be red hot. 

I would close the show with John Cena vs. The Undertaker.  It's more likely this will be the 9pm ET hour long segment including entrances and video packages but I would close out the show with it because it's the only match on that level that's guaranteed to be super over.  

Reigns and Lesnar is a gamble.  It could be over but I wouldn't bet on it.  I'd put it second or third from the top.  I'd place the mixed tag in the 9pm slot. 

So, in the "it's never gonna happen" fantasy booking department: Lars Sullivan as Braun's partner, they win the belts and WWE sets up a unification tag title match against... The Bludgeon Brothers. Tell me that wouldn't be worth that month's 9.99 all by itself.

• Like 2

Predictions

Reigns/Lesnar - Reigns

AJ/Nakamura - AJ, mostly because they have built this too much on Nakamura being a cocky asshole who can back it up.

Miz vs. Finn vs. Seth - Finn, possibly pre-show

Roode vs Rusev vs Mahal vs Orton - Orton retains, possibly on the pre-show

Bliss/Nia - Nia, This I can see on the pre-show as it should be a semi-competitive squash at best

Charlotte/Asuka - Asuka wins and Carmella has either another failed cash in attempt or thinks twice before actually trying. At this poitn I think Carmella will end up losign the briefcase to someone like Becky.

Cedric/Ali - Cedric

Sheamus/Cesaro vs. Braun/? - Braun/?

Rousey/Angle vs. Stephanie/HHH - Rousey/Angle via Rosuey taking Steph's arm off.

Cena/Taker - Cena

Owens/Zayn vs Shane/Bryan - Shane/Bryan, I think Owens and Zayn go to back to Raw

Andre Battle Royal - Samoa Joe , this gets the pre-show treatment

Women's Battle Royal - Bayley with Sasha murdering her immediately afterwards.

Usos vs. Bludgeon Bros. vs. New Day - Bludgeon Bros

If it wasn't for Braun I think the Bar's match would be on the pre-show. I think either the US or IC title match end sup on the pre-show. I think The CW Title match and SDL Tag Titles match will make the main show mostly for how both have been built. Not quite sure what opens the show. I can see it it being one of the tag titles matches. I think AJ/Nakamura happens around the middle. I think only it, Taker/Cena, and Bryan's return match go past the 20 minute mark. Other stuff will go over the mark but just do to entrances and post match stuff.

Predictions:

WWE Championship: Shinsuke Nakamura defeats AJ Styles. I'd have Styles retain myself.

WWE Universal Championship: Roman Reigns beats the Brock Beast.

AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - WWE Title - Styles moves to RAW. Promos about it not being 'his' house anymore.

Undertaker beats John Cena.

Ronda Rousey/Kurt Angle over Trips' and Steph.

Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens beat Daniel Bryan/Shane McMahon. Really hope WWE don't stupidly turn Bryan heel but if Owens/Zayn wins with Shane turning on Bryan, he looks a pillock(c) @Dolfan in NYC ; ).

WWE RAW Women's Championship: Nia Jax beats Alexa Bliss by DQ.

WWE Smackdown Live Women's Championship: Asuka defeats Charlotte for the belt. 

WWE Smackdown Live Women's Championship: Bludgeon Brothers...er bludgeon Usos and New Day to finally win the tag titles on the main roster.

WWE RAW Tag Team Titles: Braun Strowman/Elias) lose to the Bar. Can see this going the other way though,

WWE Intercontinental Championship: Finn Balor is the NEEEEEWWWWW champion over Miz and Seth Rollins. 

WWE United States Championship: Booby Roode regains from Randy Orton, Jinder Mahal and Rusev Day. 

Women's WrestleMania Battle Royal: Sasha Banks.

Andre the Giant Battle Royal: Samoa Joe.

WWE Cruiserweight Championship: Mustafa Ali is the new champ.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Latest unfounded rumor is that Mysterio will be Braun's partner if he's healthy enough.

Yeah - this is coming from the SI guy who is comically wrong frequently

That being said - Rey could literally just stand there and do nothing so I wouldn't put it past the WWE

I’d prefer Cena/Mysterio over Cena/Taker. It is crazy that Mysterio has been working harder and longer than both Taker and Cena yet can still perform on a high level. 

Predictions: 

the pre show matches

Alexa Vs Nia: Nia is going over. Alexa is a great talker and an okay performer but this match should have been Sasha vs Bayley 4. But it isn’t and there is not enough heat to justify this on the main show. 

Andre the Giant Battle Royal: Who the fuck cares but if I had to guess it would be Samoa Joe. 

uS title Fatal Four way- Rusev or Roode. Look, I am a firm believer that new guys or guys who do not have much decoration should be winning titles. Especially if they are gifted in the ring. Both Rhoode and Rusev are but I am guessing I am basing this on what I want rather than what Vince values. 

Main show

Cedric vs Ali: I am probably the only person on this board who believes this match will get time and be on the main show  my justification is that Hunter would not spend so much capital rebuilding this show and repeat the same damn mistake that lost both Aries and Neville. Unlike the other title matches save for the WWE title and Uni title, this is the only title with more than a two month build up for it. You want to rebuild the legitimacy of this build, have it own up Wrestlemania and give acedric and Ali 15 minutes  that is all they need to steal the show. I l think Cedric is going over because Murphy is the #1 contender and we have already seen Murphy and Ali  

Raw tag team  Braun and whoever is going over  the Bar will break up with ashes us on his way out and Cesar’s will come to Smackdown and compete as a singles wrestler  

womens battle royal: Beck will win and probably the most fuck finish fashion.  her, Bayley, and Sasha will be the final 3. Bayley will be in the process of eliminatingBecky but Sasha because she has a knife for every back will try to come from behind and take out Bayley. Bayley survives but absolutely goes ballistic and starts brawling with Sasha l. They get so heated that the y ignore Becky and take each other out. 

Daniel Bryanand Shane vs the Yup movement: Yup is going to win and Shane is eating that pin   Will Bryan will have an exhibition that we excite the fans and it will be amazing  

IC title: Finn wins. That is it . Miz goes batshit and throws a huge tantrum  Rollins goes to Smackdown and rethinks his career  Finn starts his first big and long string of title defenses and slowly becomes a heel. 

USO’s vs New Day vs Viking Gods(forgot their name): I expect Harper and Rowan to go over ad a truly chaotic fuck fest  

Can’t really decide on Cena vs whoever

Break period with Elias

Styles vs vs Nak: Nak wins and it should be amazing 

Asuka vs Charlotte: Asuka wins  Carmella tries to cash in MiTB  Asuka kick the fuck out of her  because that is not how the streak wins  

Roman vs Brock: No one wins. We all lose. We have an unmotivated Brock and a very annoying Roman Reigns. I hope this isn’t the main event but because this company is ran by Vince, it probably will be. 

Predictions:

Roman over Brock - it's inevitable.

Nak over AJ - just part one of a series I see them trading the belt over the spring.

Asuka over Charlotte: Carmella decides not to cash in out of terror

Taker over Cena

Harper/Rowan over New Day/Usos

Miz retains IC belt (and loses it at GREATEST Royal Rumble)

Owens/Sami over Shane/Bryan - shane costs his team the match either by turning or trying to win it himself

Bar over Bruan/partner - Brauns partner is the cause of hte lose setting up Braun's next feud

Mahal wins the US title, not what I want to see but what I expect

Nia over Alexa - Nia holds the belt until they decide to put it on Rousey

Angle/Rousey over HHH/Steph - ehhh don't care, honestly forgot about it happening until I mentioned Rousey above

Big Cass wins Andre Memorial

Becky wins Womens' Battle Royal

Ali beats Cedric

Elias gets beat up by a legend, probably Rock and/or Austin

• Like 1

I'm not an anti-Roman guy (although I do think the recent build has been less than stellar for him) but if they're smart they'll put his match middle of the card. Wrestlemania crowds being what they are, I could see them booing both guys or even just leaving if it's on last. Whoever said the match should be like Brock/Goldberg was right. 8 - 10 minutes of smashing each other, spear, that's it, bring out Rousey next to pop the crowd and keep things moving.

• Like 1

To me, the bigger mystery is how Vince sets up the card. 

If I had to lay a wager, I'm guessing the last 3 matches are Taker/Cena, Brock/Roman, and Rousey-Angle/HHH-Steph is last. Something is going to have to buffer that with something that will at least hide RR's greener than Kermit skills.  So it might be good to have  a hard hitting match that isn't workrate based - like in theory AJ/Nak or Sami-KO/Shane-Bryan will be.