DVDVR Message Board

WWE Hall of Fame 2018

Casey

5 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Jarrett once got booed in Charlotte, as a member of the Horsemen, when they were actual faces.  

I’ve got nothing to add really, that’s just always blown my mind.

NOBODY liked him being in the Horsemen. Especially since he was basically doing a Nature Boy gimmick at the time. We were afraid they were grooming him to replace Flair.

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

NOBODY liked him being in the Horsemen. Especially since he was basically doing a Nature Boy gimmick at the time. We were afraid they were grooming him to replace Flair.

They should've kept him as a Horsemen until Fall Brawl 97, so long that people accepted him, then had him do the Hennig turn.

That would've been nuclear heat.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people are down on Conrad and Pritchard, but their (uh 5 hour) podcast on Jarrett is pretty great, if only because of how fascinating JJ's career has been. Upper-midcarder in both the New Generation and the Attitude Era with tons of interesting behind the scenes drama in both tenures. 

I do wonder if, after last year's Medusa entry and now with JJ, that every year has to have the "controversial" entry to drum up talk? Not that it matters, but the quota system (headliner, minority, tag team, woman, dead person, "hell frozen over" person) is getting more transparent. 

So, is Jarrett's best non-Memphis match the Nashville IC switch with Shawn? 

• Like 1

Yeah, we talked about that podcast in another thread, but it is really fascinating to learn of Jeff's whole tenure. I had no idea he left the company that many times or burned Vince that many times. Not only that, but every time he left, they wound up bringing him back with a push. It's crazy to think about. You don't shake Droz's hand and you're fucking RUINED. You may as well as for your release. Go AWOL multiples times and get brought back for multiple title reigns. His dad had some to do with that, but Vince can say no. Hell, he's said no to less.

Seriously though, it's a long listen, but it's maybe one of the best Conrad and Bruce podcasts and this is coming from someone who really doesn't care for Bruce's shtick. 

As for his best matches, he had a great one with Angle in TNA, which isn't that hard to have. It was a hardcore match or something. I just remember being blown away at Jeff being a part of that good of a match. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

I know a lot of people are down on Conrad and Pritchard, but their (uh 5 hour) podcast on Jarrett is pretty great, if only because of how fascinating JJ's career has been. Upper-midcarder in both the New Generation and the Attitude Era with tons of interesting behind the scenes drama in both tenures. 

I do wonder if, after last year's Medusa entry and now with JJ, that every year has to have the "controversial" entry to drum up talk? Not that it matters, but the quota system (headliner, minority, tag team, woman, dead person, "hell frozen over" person) is getting more transparent. 

So, is Jarrett's best non-Memphis match the Nashville IC switch with Shawn? 

If we're considering the "burned bridges" people to be a part of the controversial portion every year now, they've already gotten the big ones out of the way. Bruno and Warrior were the biggest ones, I guess Savage but he had passed away by that point, and now Jarrett. So, who's left? Chyna and Owen Hart?

57 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

He's a "Wellness Coach".  I'm guessing it's along the lines of "Hey, let me tell you, all that shit I did, don't do it!"

I'd make a great drug counselor, then. Cocaine, don't do it. Don't try to kill a bad mushroom trip with a gram of coke. Don't drink until you're blackout drunk. Heroin? I never tried it and I recommend you don't either. You know what kids?Just stick to a little pot on the weekends and you'll be fine.

1 minute ago, Victator said:

C'mon Matt, you really think WWE would push AJ Styles in 2005? Between his height and his accent I don't think he would have even gotten a cruiserweight title run. OVW would have kicked ass. 

I would have been fine with Styles feuding with Matt Hardy,  Mark Henry,  and Christian in 07-09 ECW.

12 minutes ago, Victator said:

I don't think he would have gotten that far. He would have had the stink of failure in a year. 

Who's the best guy that washed out of the system after at least a year of being in it? Low Ki seems the obvious answer but so much of that is his personality that he almost doesn't count.

That's a tough one. You can plug AJ in as an analog for a few guys from around that time or a little later (Kendrick, London, Bourne, Low Ki) but he's better than them and wouldn't have the issues that led to them leaving. Maybe he wrestles Ziggler and Kofi 10,000 times for the US title and slides down to gatekeeper in NXT. Maybe he ends up with a push and there's no spot for Bryan. I don't know. 

Ultimately the way his career panned out didn't stop him from being regarded as one of the best in the world or making more money than most wrestlers will ever see in their entire lives. 

26 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Who's the best guy that washed out of the system after at least a year of being in it? Low Ki seems the obvious answer but so much of that is his personality that he almost doesn't count.

Paul London?