DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I enjoy fantasy booking XWF with EWR. They had a roster with a nice mix of talent, old and new. It's a weird mix of WCW, and TNA before it even existed. Absolutely a snapshot of that moment in time for wrestling, too.

• Like 4

The early 2000s were a strange time for wrestling and maybe culture in general. 

Every one went in a different direction. Half the indies tried to recreate ECW, some tried to recreate WCW and some indies went in their own direction. Which I'm not a huge ROH fan, but I admire they did their own thing and became successful. 

I don't know why XWF seemed so intent on imitating 2000 WCW. Then again TNA does and they are somehow still alive, so what do I know. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

PPV's aren't driving the revenue any more, so - literally - why not?

Because Network subscriptions are driving the revenue.

Also "why not" isn't a great reason to run a match in general.

11 hours ago, OSJ said:

Shitting on Justin has been a cottage industry for over a decade, most of it from IWC fans that weren't even around at the time. No one is ever going to confuse him with Ric Flair or Jumbo Tsuruta, but a big part of the ECW mystique was that on any given night, anyone could win. Justin was a perfectly serviceable champion who could have a good match with just about anyone. It made all the sense in the world to put the strap on him. 

I remember Scott Keith would always call him The Jellyfish in his reviews.

XWF just needed a television deal similar to the one TNA had with Spike. Vince killed it (inadvertently) before it even got off the ground by signing the biggest names from the tapings they were using as the network pitch. There's no reason to believe it wouldn't have ultimately failed anyway, but there was a window of opportunity there. 

8 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

I take your point but this kind of stuff devalues PPVs that are already struggling to justify the Network cost for many. The model is really fucking with the way they create meaning in a lot of avenues.

The cost that's the same as my lunch every day?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember Scott Keith would always call him The Jellyfish in his reviews.

Yet another reminder of how awful Scott Keith and his clones were.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

well that's as maybe but we all saw the quarterlies lead to cuts. People are not coming on board and consensus is that things are largely stale. I'd rather have a good lunch now than the Network for a whole month.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Vince signing Lawler (and some of the other guys) before XWF got its TV deal was very much advertent

Vince knew what he was doing for sure. You don't sign Lawler, Hennig, Hogan and some others just for the hell of it a few days after they taped what would have been like two months of shows for the right buyer. It was a pretty damn calculated move.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Every day? What are you, a trillionaire?

Make a damn sandwich at home every once in awhile, bruh. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Get a load of the big timer here!

200.gif

Why don't you gift me a Network subscription if you've got money to burn? I've been using a friend's since I fell on some hahhhd times.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Get a load of the big timer here!

200.gif

Why don't you gift me a Network subscription if you've got money to burn? I've been using a friend's since I fell on some hahhhd times.

DiBiase was my favorite of those Survivor Series vignettes. Mr. Perfect being thankful for being absolutely perfect is a close second.

10 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

I saw Samoa Joe retweeted this story on Twitter, apparently Yoshihiro Takayama is paralyzed from the neck down:

I hate this. Words fail for something terrible like that.

They said at the time he had a neck injury, but have kept it private until now it seems. A magazine reported on it this week and the above is actually translations from it from KakutoLog. It wasn't a DDT either, I believe he hit his head on the mat taking a sunset flip from Yasu Urano. He had been tagging with Danshoku Dieno, so he's not exactly been doing what he did earlier in his career.

http://kakutolog.cocolog-nifty.com/kakuto/2017/08/post-4911.html

Here is exactly when it happened.

DDT “TOYONAKA LOVE STORY 2017”, 05/04/2017
Osaka Toyonaka City Rose Cultural Hall
340 Fans – No Vacancy

4. HARASHIMA, Soma Takao & Yasu Urano defeated Yoshihiro Takayama, Kazusada Higuchi & Shunma Katsumata by TKO (12:45).

As an addendum, Takayama was the one doing the sunset flip to Urano when he hit his head, making it much more violent sounding.