DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm thankful for the cocaine that helped create these memorable promos.

Eddie, ffs, if you're posting this, at least include the full intro. You phony. The Vintros ruled for '89 and '90  

• Like 1

Misawa's death was the end of puro for me, not watched anything Japanese since (been tempted after hearing all the buzz about Omega and Okada) but this Takayama news... jesus it's been a big reaffirmation for me. Poor guy. Like Misawa I loved Takayama's work but you almost feel at fault for taking enjoyment from watching his style that must have had an accumulative effect. I know it was an accident and they happen, and it was in DDT of all places where you could probably get away with not taking one bump or highspot but that's awful

• Thanks 1

So Bo Dallas is a bit of a nutjob. Sounds like they gave the "crazy backwoods cult guy" gimmick to the wrong brother:

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0807/629870/bo-dallas-talks-conspiracy-theories/

Bo Dallas recently appeared on Talk is Jericho (transcript via wrestlinginc.com), here are the highlights…

On Being Into Conspiracy Theories: “I’m a little bit nervous to see how everybody takes this in, from Bo Dallas. I mean, this is my first podcast and nobody has ever heard me talk outside of character or whatnot. And to hear how actually crazy I am, I’m waiting to see what really happens.” Dallas said, “even if it’s not true and you want to call me crazy, it’s funner, so much more fun to live life and question and wonder. I want to know more. If it’s not real, screw it!”

On The Lizard People: “The theory is that there was this class of not people, aliens, let’s call it a class of aliens that lived on this Earth and they moved because of the radiation in our Earth to find a better planet and they left and they left some people here, the discarded, and they are the ones that live in our Earth. The reptilian people are the higher class of people who kind of run the world.”

On Hollow Earth Theory: “I do believe in the hollow Earth theory.” Dallas continued, “there’s no proof. Nobody has drilled more than 12 miles under the Earth’s surface, so the theory that our Earth’s center is filled with molten lava, there’s nothing that backs that other than the fact that the further we go into the Earth’s surface, we get hotter. There’s nothing that tells us that we get hotter and hotter. Obviously, it’s hotter. We haven’t gone more than 12 miles into it.”

On The Reptilians Running The World: “That’s the question I need answered for myself. That’s what I want to know. Like, there [are] people who think the reptilian people are for the most part evil and they just run [the world], yeah, and there [are] others that believe that everybody has a little reptilian genetic link to them and not all of them are bad. For the most part, the reptilian people, the Illuminati, eat humans and they run the world.” Dallas added, “people don’t like to question and I do. I need to know. I don’t want to live my entire life and not know the truth.”

On The Government Holding Us back By Putting Flouride in Our Water: “It’s dumbed down by our government, putting fluoride in our water to take this natural ability, which I believe is directly correlated with the third eye, I believe. Yeah, it’s almost a different sense that we don’t have, that I believe if we had or it wasn’t dumbed down, we’d know more of the answers of what our reality is really about and I believe it is dumbed down by the powers that be, the reptilian people, the Illuminati, whatever you want to call them. Someone’s stopping us from knowing all the answers.”

• Like 3

On 8/6/2017 at 2:54 AM, Victator said:

The early 2000s were a strange time for wrestling and maybe culture in general. 

Every one went in a different direction. Half the indies tried to recreate ECW, some tried to recreate WCW and some indies went in their own direction. Which I'm not a huge ROH fan, but I admire they did their own thing and became successful. 

I don't know why XWF seemed so intent on imitating 2000 WCW. Then again TNA does and they are somehow still alive, so what do I know. 

More than TNA and XWF bookers, at least.

• Like 2

Am I wrong to find both sides of the Cornette/Foley thing kind of embarrassing?

On the one hand you've got Cornette in peak old-man-yells-at-cloud mode, and on the other you've got the principle that the only thing that can tame Joey Ryan's dick is Mr. Socko. 

And people heatedly defending one side or the other are the worst cuz at least Corny and Mick each made some money off of all of it. 

Mr. Socko being the ultimate neutralizer of Joey Ryan's dick is analogous to Damien being the ultimate neutralizer of Andre the Giant. That sort of thing is timeless. I don't hate it.

Then again, white guys from the south getting overemotional about pro wrestling (especially to make money) is also timeless.

Really, the only losers here are the people who care enough to argue about it about it on boards like Cageside Seats or whatever.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

On The Lizard People: “The theory is that there was this class of not people, aliens, let’s call it a class of aliens that lived on this Earth and they moved because of the radiation in our Earth to find a better planet and they left and they left some people here, the discarded, and they are the ones that live in our Earth. The reptilian people are the higher class of people who kind of run the world.”

After having Ted Cruz as one of my senators for the past four years, I find this relatively easy to believe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

So if Bo was more over and rose up the card to take over Miz's spot, would we get the Liz-tourage?

I'd be entirely ok with that.  Aside from the fact that Bo has like 1/100 of Miz's charisma and presence.

Hopefully guys in Sleestak costumes.

• Like 2

Is it my imagination or has Bo aged thirty years in the last three? Over a handful of years he went from fresh faced idealistic babyface.. to.. married, middle aged singlet Bo.. to..misunderstood, social outcast Bo... to.. trump supporter Bo... to..lizard people have all the power Bo.  

3 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Is it my imagination or has Bo aged thirty years in the last three? Over a handful of years he went from fresh faced idealistic babyface.. to.. married, middle aged singlet Bo.. to..misunderstood, social outcast Bo... to.. trump supporter Bo... to..lizard people have all the power Bo.  

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, PAL!

2 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Just wanted to drop in and remind everyone that Bret Hart is my favorite, and the best wrestler of all time.  Thanks.  

I was just reading about his friendship with Roddy Piper in the latter's book.  They said that when Roddy got to the WWF he was telling everyone stories about Stu Hart and Bret, who was a rookie, confronted Piper saying the stories weren't true and not funny.  Piper apologized, and the two became life-long friends.  I never realized that what a big deal it was for Piper to let Bret pin him at Wrestlemania, because Piper almost never lost by pinfall on TV but he was willing to do it to help Bret out (Like Andre had once done for him).  Hart and Piper talked about how they would metaphorically "send up the bat signal" any time they needed to talk and, somehow, the other would phone almost every time.  Bret talking about how, after his cancer diagnosis, he up the bat signal, only to learn that Roddy had died and no one would ever answer the bat signal again was one of the saddest things in a pretty sad book.

• Like 5