DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Guest Edwin

When did the endless thigh slapping in matches start?

I firstly noticed this in 2004 I believe it was during a match featuring Alex Shelley in IWA-MS as he threw a kick on Jimmy Jacobs or someone and CM Punk was on commentary and he was clowning Shelley for the thigh slapping. From the pre 2004 stuff I've bee watching, it didn't notice this occurring at all. Now a days virtually everyone does it, but there's cases like Michael Elgin and Naomi where it's just blatant.

People shit on Justin but I thought as far as having good matches he was very underrated. I saw him have a very good match on a house show against a physically washed up Jack Victory and I didn't think that was possible. You can knock his look and charisma, but to me you can't knock him for match quality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

I firstly noticed this in 2004 I believe it was during a match featuring Alex Shelley in IWA-MS as he threw a kick on Jimmy Jacobs or someone and CM Punk was on commentary and he was clowning Shelley for the thigh slapping. From the pre 2004 stuff I've bee watching, it didn't notice this occurring at all. Now a days virtually everyone does it, but there's cases like Michael Elgin and Naomi where it's just blatant.

I think first time I remember it was Chris Adams in Dallas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

It's like foot stomping to punches.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Sure... why not

The problem WWE has is without Braun and Joe, nobody cares about Reigns. The boos will turn to apathy. Admittedly Braun is not as hot without Reigns. You can't or should not run Braun vs Joe right now. So if you want to run a hot match, this is your choice. 

Though the show will probably close with Alicia Fox vs Dana Brooke. 

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

People shit on Justin but I thought as far as having good matches he was very underrated. I saw him have a very good match on a house show against a physically washed up Jack Victory and I didn't think that was possible. You can knock his look and charisma, but to me you can't knock him for match quality.

Shitting on Justin has been a cottage industry for over a decade, most of it from IWC fans that weren't even around at the time. No one is ever going to confuse him with Ric Flair or Jumbo Tsuruta, but a big part of the ECW mystique was that on any given night, anyone could win. Justin was a perfectly serviceable champion who could have a good match with just about anyone. It made all the sense in the world to put the strap on him. 

• Like 5

I don't have anything against him. He had good matches at the time with a variety of opponents. But the booking was shit and he was not good enough to cover for it. 

Of the options available I would say pay Mike Awesome and apologize to Sabu. 

This is leaving out how messed up the tag titles were. Chetti and Nova were getting over, Doring and Roadkill were overcoming their stupid gimmick. Then the tourney is mostly makeshift teams. Tajiri, Mikey and the FBI saved the whole thing. 

Paul is the sort of guy who will spend $10 trying to screw someone out of $2, that's just how he is... An apology to Sabu would also have meant paying him, that wasn't going to happen and neither was paying Awesome.  Like I said, Justin was the best option at the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Would it have killed Heyman to turn Dreamer heel and put the strap on him?

James

Dreamer would've done it because he would do anything for the company, but I have no fucking clue how you would do it during that timeframe.  Dreamer would have to literally hand the ECW Belt to McMahon to turn the crowd on him, and shit, Taz practically did and it STILL didn't heel turn him.

7 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Would it have killed Heyman to turn Dreamer heel and put the strap on him?

James

Dreamer could have killed, roasted and eaten a baby in the middle of the ring and the Mutants would have still cheered him. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OSJ said:

Paul is the sort of guy who will spend $10 trying to screw someone out of $2, that's just how he is... An apology to Sabu would also have meant paying him, that wasn't going to happen and neither was paying Awesome.  Like I said, Justin was the best option at the time.

A lot of Sabu's issues went beyond money. He felt he was being disrespected by Heyman. 

He had been jobbed to Justin Credible on PPV, which hurt Justin and Sabu. He wins a match over a game but ice cold Candido, then spends December jobbing to RVD. He then jobs at the ppv clean to Van Dam. They start the three way feud with Sabu vs Awesome vs RVD, then RVD gets hurt. The final straw was Heyman jobbing him to Super Crazy. As the story is told, he said "you are putting over Super Crazy, you can shake his hand or go to the back, your choice." Sabu said "Then I choose to leave." and walks out. 

Now there were definitely money issues wrapped up in this. But I think if treated better, he would have stayed. 

Then Sabu gets a big money contract with WCW and Heyman screwed him out of it. Knowing he had no intention of making good on the money owes. Which leaves out all the times Sabu worked injured for him. 

Heyman is a garbage human and it makes me sick seeing him on TV. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

Dreamer could have killed, roasted and eaten a baby in the middle of the ring and the Mutants would have still cheered him. 

I don't think Dreamer was that well liked. They sure as hell would not have cheered him over Sandman or Van Dam. It took a lot of work to get him accepted in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

I don't think Dreamer was that well liked. They sure as hell would not have cheered him over Sandman or Van Dam. It took a lot of work to get him accepted in the first place. 

That also ties into the "who'd be a better champ than Credible"- Van Dam.

Yes, he was injured for a portion of the ECW Title problem, but ECW had lost enough so that hotshotting what the fans wanted and giving RVD the big one in 2000 could have stemmed the bleeding (well, as much as anything could have done so). If ECW was probably going to die out anyway, not giving RVD the ECW World Title is the one bullet in the chamber that is almost idiotic they didn't use before flaming out.. 

20 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

That also ties into the "who'd be a better champ than Credible"- Van Dam.

Yes, he was injured for a portion of the ECW Title problem, but ECW had lost enough so that hotshotting what the fans wanted and giving RVD the big one in 2000 could have stemmed the bleeding (well, as much as anything could have done so). If ECW was probably going to die out anyway, not giving RVD the ECW World Title is the one bullet in the chamber that is almost idiotic they didn't use before flaming out.. 

It was a typical ECW problem. They dragged out Taz vs Sabu too long also  Heyman thought there would be an ideal moment for RVD and kept holding out hope. I assumed Lynn getting the belt was leading to that, then he stopped paying Van Dam. 

8 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

PPV's aren't driving the revenue any more, so - literally - why not?

I take your point but this kind of stuff devalues PPVs that are already struggling to justify the Network cost for many. The model is really fucking with the way they create meaning in a lot of avenues.

• Like 1