DVDVR Message Board

Great Balls of Fire 2017

The Natural

7 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Renegade was my go-to syndicated show!  Loved it to pieces and Lamas in it.  Is that on DVD?

It certainly is.  Quick Google search shows they have individual seasons either at stores like Walmart or sites like eBay and Amazon.  Somebody's selling the whole series on Amazon for $250 but I'm sure there's cheaper.  Or there's also Amazon Video where the price isn't that bad.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2017 at 9:21 AM, Lacelle said:

I'll take the name of this show over shit like Vengeance, Badd Blood, Roadblock, No Way Out, Fully Loaded and so many show titles that sound like they could be Lou Diamond Philips direct to home video movie titles. I'll take levity over boring every day.

I agree with this. Judgement Day, Vengeance, Armageddon, Unforgiven all sucked, and I couldn't tell you where any fell on the calendar without looking it up. 

That said, it's a shame we don't get names like the Royal Rumble, King of the Ring, Survivor Series, Summerslam anymore. They're catchy and immediately convey the general idea of what they are. 

4 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

I agree with this. Judgement Day, Vengeance, Armageddon, Unforgiven all sucked, and I couldn't tell you where any fell on the calendar without looking it up.

It amazes that someone who posts here couldn't recite Rumble, No Way Out, Mania, Backlash, Judgment Day, KOTR, Fully Loaded/Invasion, Summer Slam, Unforgiven, No Mercy, Survivor Series, Armageddon off the top of their head.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

It amazes that someone who posts here couldn't recite Rumble, No Way Out, Mania, Backlash, Judgment Day, KOTR, Fully Loaded/Invasion, Summer Slam, Unforgiven, No Mercy, Survivor Series, Armageddon off the top of their head.

None of them matter outside of The Big 5. Those were the days. Five ppv's a year. Angles being able to develop over the course of months, not rushed in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Of course most ppvs are filler since companies adopted the 12-month format, but most of them were pretty consistent time-wise. Judgment Day was in May from 2000-2009, if you can't remember that, you're just not trying.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2017 at 9:08 PM, L_W_P said:

In Your House branding could have made the Orton v Wyatt matches a little better. Presenting the whole show as a car crash of D Grade horror would have been a fun concept.

I'm still waiting for the damned King of the Ring to return. No reason to not run it with the Network now. They could turn it into a 2 day special ala the UK tourney or they could run it over a couple of weeks like the CWC. End it on a Sunday night special with someone having to win 3 matches in one night for a title match at 'Insert PPV here' and it would get some eyeballs for sure.

They need to bring King of the Ring back as a dual branded PPV.  Have four guys from each brand qualify and have an 8 man tourney on the show among all of them.  Or put it on the network over a couple of days to include a few more people from both shows (or maybe one or two from NXT).

• Like 1

I miss the B level PPV's which had history and you knew the month they take place in. No Way Out in Feb, Backlash in April, Judgment Day in May and No Mercy in Oct as examples.

With themed shows, the gimmicks feel forced, I'm particularly thinking of Hell in a Cell. Before the cell was only used once or twice a year to end feuds which merited it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Of course most ppvs are filler since companies adopted the 12-month format, but most of them were pretty consistent time-wise. Judgment Day was in May from 2000-2009, if you can't remember that, you're just not trying.

Sure, and No Mercy was always October from...'99 to the inception of Hell in a Cell. And I remembered Backlash was always April. But then you had No Way Out, which was always February...except when it wasn't (St. Valentine's Day Massacre). And I swear there was a Judgement Day in the fall or winter once, and DEFINITELY an Unforgiven in the spring (that was the first Austin-Dude Love match). That name was moved at some point, but not before going on hiatus and taking on some other, generic nu-metal-sounding name. 

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

None of them matter outside of The Big 5. Those were the days. Five ppv's a year. Angles being able to develop over the course of months, not rushed in a few weeks.

You whippershappers, and your newfangled Big 5.  Back in my day, you only had a Big 4, and you liked it!

Man, count me in too for naming a WWE PPV after the two guys headlining it. I'm surprised that hasn't happened sooner, but I'm guessing that Vince doesn't want to put the talent over the brand. Even still, it's not like they should do it all of the time, but WWE: Brock vs Samoa Joe is awesome. Nakamura vs Cena. Just totally take a page from UFC and run with that. Couldn't be worse than coming up with all of these other names. 

• Like 3

If there was ever a time to do that that would be it.  But if they're not going to name if Brock vs. Joe then I can't see them doing that for anybody.  Unless Brock faces a part-timer on a B show then MAYBE they'll consider it.

I'd like to see them be more Don King/Ali in that The Thrilla in Manilla/Rumble in the Jungle vibe. The UFC model is just boring. 

They used to do that - Tuesday in Texas is an example. The NWA had The Chi-Town Rumble. Those two shows are memorable. 

Brock's Japan special at the Buddokan was also great. Beast in the East?

• Like 2

They should send Heyman up to Canada with a green screen and sit Lesnar in front of it for an hour cutting promos on aliens and air one of those a week.

"My client Brock Lesnar would like to explain to you all why he's missing Raw again this week."

"Well, I wouldn't exactly say I'm missing Raw but as you can all clearly see, I'm up here on the moon.  It's nice, quiet, none of you stupid fans around making noise.  Little chilly, reminds me of back home in Minnesota during the winter.  Just got done defending my Universal Championship against B'andata'nana from Mars.  He had four arms.  Tried his luck in Suplex City and now they call him One-Armed B'andata'nana from Mars."

"Suplex City, Moon t-shirts available right now!"

"Going to Saturn next week.  Don't know who I'm defending against.  Maybe Perry.  Don't matter.  Whoever it is is taking a trip to Suplex City."

"Suplex City, Saturn shirts coming soon!"

"Then I'm off to Pluto for a defense against Jojopogobo Bonegun the 3-headed mercenary space dog.  After that little warm-up, I'll be headed back to earth for Great Balls Of Fire and The Big Dog Roman Reigns."

"Samoa Joe."

"I know, Paul."

"It's a different guy."

"Nobody is ever the same after taking a trip to Suplex City and Roman Reigns bought a one-way ticket at Great Balls Of Fire!"

"Goodness gracious."

• Like 10