DVDVR Message Board

Great Balls of Fire 2017

The Natural

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Bix continues his excellent work on Deadspin covering pro wrestling:  

Samoa Joe Can't Be Stopped

I know Brock is going to win, but damn, do I want it to be by a hair. And one thing I don't think has been really mentioned, that final promo for Brock/Joe seemed to mark a double-turn. Or am I crazy? 

I am stoked that Bix included the Samoa Joe-Low Ki match that I called at the first Glory By Honor.

• Like 4

So I have rehearsals all day and night tomorrow, just in time for me to miss watching Joe, and I'm the biggest Joe fan out there, having his first WWE Main event live. 

Its going to be tough to not get spoiled so I can watch it Monday night. I'm gonna have to go dark.

You are an ass! I bought you at market. Something...finish the joke. Anyway, knowing WWE every match will be screwed up and Joe will be squashed. I'm not a WWE Realist, I'm a WWE Pessimist. They tend to be eerily similar.

Okay.   These are facts:

• Braun Strowman kicked Roman's ass, beat him clean, and Roman was a sore loser.
  • Roman nearly killed Braun in an ambulance.
  • Braun walks off on his own power.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a double turn.  

• Like 7

Braun Strowman is Jason Vorhees' son.  He's a fucking movie monster and it's awesome.

I'm officially done with Lensar, get the fucking belt off him and let him fuck off to the woods.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Okay.   These are facts:

• Braun Strowman kicked Roman's ass, beat him clean, and Roman was a sore loser.
  • Roman nearly killed Braun in an ambulance.
  • Braun walks off on his own power.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a double turn.  

No question in my mind. Roman clearly was the bad guy there.

I will leave my reviewing fate the the board, but I enjoyed Lesnar/Joe and the finish was fine. Joe looked like a killer. That said, the Suplex City act is about done with me.

All I saw was the main. Looking forward to seeing Roman/Braun and the apparently great tag match over the next week.

As for the main.

I said:

On 7/5/2017 at 3:36 PM, Matt D said:

I foresee the match going... "Some hoss stuff to begin. Joe tries some strikes. Gets suplexed. Gets suplexed. Comes back. Gets the choke on. Gets tossed off. Gets the choke on. Gets tossed off. Gets the choke on. Suplex. Tries for the choke again. F5 (x2-3, give or take some chokes). The end.

That's 1 step away from the Rusev match, basically, and would be a disappointment given the build. That's sub-Ambrose basically. 

I underestimated how good Joe's initial attack would be, didn't predict the awesome low blow, and actually OVERESTIMATED the finishing stretch. Otherwise, pretty damn accurate if you ask me.

If the board says I've got stuff to review, fine, happy to do so, but you have to admit I more or less called what we got. It may come down to everyone having (rightfully) lowered expectations after two years of suplex city.

Man that main finish would have been fine if they were consistent in booking the F5 as death. But so many other people have kicked out of so many of them it was just weird. Like Joe was just debuting from NXT and they wanted him to look good but lose convincingly to put over main roster.

• Like 3

Am I disappointed with the finish of Lesnar/Joe? Yeah. Was it a fun match? Absolutely. Joe was fazed for 3 seconds after an F-5 and it cost him, but he got back up at the end and if looks could kill, Lesnar would be dead. But it looked like Lesnar was about to die anyway - dude was fuckin' purple as hell.

Oh, and fuck Roman Reigns.