DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Laid up for a couple days, crippled like an old man with my bad back, I hit my Netflix TV queue:

Scandal - Watched all of season 1 and the first ep of season 2.  Good show but not as good as I'd hoped or as I'd heard.  It's very obviously a show that puts style above anything else so we get lots of dialogue delivered in an "I am super important and super-busy" manner that gets tiresome.  It's almost a poor man's imitation of The West Wing at times.  The "new girl" character is annoying with her lost puppy dog nonsense after awhile.  The former CIA guy is a bit much - he's a trained assassin who can do anything AND a world class hacker?  C'mon.  Being a network show, they naturally butcher the technical stuff by having CIA guy spout off long words to try and amaze the viewer ("ooooh, a bug operates at 2.4 ghz!!!!!!", "dynamic host control protocol!!!!!").  They manage to not do the Law & Order zoom-in on photos and somehow they become super-sharp but do make the mistake of having every security camera everywhere being connected to the internet.  Whatever.  The show works because Kerry Washington is great on it and is incredibly sexy in her role.  Not a big fan of her look on the red carpet or anywhere else but on the show she looks awesome.  Weird dichotomy there.  Big fan of the President's wife, too.  Anyway, I'll definitely be checking out more of it.

How I Met Your Mother - I picked up again with the mid-point of season 7 and watched 3 eps - the one with Hurricane Irene, the one where Barney & Robin cheat and then have the boat ride and then the one with Groova Palooza.  Safe to say if I wasn't already a big fan of the show, I would never watch another ep after watching those 3.  Good lord, these were awful.  Painfully stupid, painfully contrived, not funny, and just generally idiotic.  I won't give up on the show but, man, it sure lost some points with those eps.

So I'm late to the party but I just started watching Dexter season 7. I for the most part enjoyed season 6 with the Doomsday Killer even if it was hokey and on the nose at times and I figured out the old man was his "harry" in the first episode. It was acceptable if not in continuous decline. 

So this season they off Mike like REALLY fucking quick. They just brought the guy in what halfway through last season and already killed him? Also they did it in a random, anti climatic way as a way to push forward their monster of the week. On top of that Dexter used to wait until the legal system had a crack at these guys. I mean it seems like a pretty slam dunk case. He was able to break into his hotel and the killer had convientley left his laptop with all of his flight information up or maybe he hit the browser history which showed him exactly where the killer was going and where he was headed. The killer also left behind his murdered blood stained shirt in the hotel dirty laundry. 

On top of all that he goes to an airport where there are security cameras EVERYWHERE. And if Dexter found out where he was going is no one else going to figure it out? Will no one else indentify this man and figure out he was at the airport. Then when there is no record of him getting on his flight won't SOMEONE look at footage and see Dexter doing this? On top of this the bathroom just happened to have a cleaning cart right there and a wheel chair right next to the bathroom and the cleaning cart AND he somehow got into the lost or forgotten luggage area and stayed there until this guy woke up with no sense of urgency before killing him and somehow leaving the scene. 

The monster of the week and Dexter's process and strict rules and how he went about insuring everything was done by the "code" was one of the most entertaining parts of this show. Now its just "he killed somebody, Dexter finds him and kills him in some convenient, contrived way". 

I won't even get into how they went from Deb not having a clue in the world to Deb knowing EVERYTHING in one episode. We have been building to this moment for seven years and then in one episode we went from 0-100 I think thats shitty, thats lazy, and presents all sorts of complications story wise. 

For all my bitching I've seen the show this far I'll see it to its rumored horrible finale twenty something episodes from now.  

In other news my wife suggested from the radio and friends we watch Orange is the New Black. I had zero interest in it and even starting out I wasn't that interested then in the last half of the first episode I somehow got hooked. 

I'm not defending the Dexter writers since they dropped the ball big-time, but it's not like a show about a vigilante serial killer who takes advice from his dead dad is the type of thing that should be stretched out to 7 or 8 seasons. It's not CSI.  It should have had a beginning, middle and an end. Not been dragged out for as long as Showtime thought they could make money off of it.

Technically the story was over in season 4. Dexter finally realized he could love someone (Rita) and have a normal life, only to have his hobby come back and bite him on the ass and ruin it for him. The end.

Just started watching Orphan Black on the ol' on-demand, and lord is that a good show.  I knew nothing about it going in, and after four episodes I'm hooked. 

I just started watching the reairings on BBC America, I'm completely enthrawled.  I'm also in love with Tatiana Maslany, she is hot and she would probably be the best role play partner ever. I thought she was British based on how unwavering her accent is, but she is Canadian.  She really has a good ear for accents. 

Should I have seen much of American Horror Story to follow the new season?  I know each season has a somewhat different cast and new elements, so are the seasons basically self-contained?  I watched the first couple episodes of season 1, thought it was mostly ridiculous, and haven't watched since. 

Thinking of giving the new season a try.  Can I pick up what I need to know, or does it rely on being up to speed with last season?

Just started watching Orphan Black on the ol' on-demand, and lord is that a good show.  I knew nothing about it going in, and after four episodes I'm hooked. 

I just started watching the reairings on BBC America, I'm completely enthrawled.  I'm also in love with Tatiana Maslany, she is hot and she would probably be the best role play partner ever. I thought she was British based on how unwavering her accent is, but she is Canadian.  She really has a good ear for accents. 

I don't want to talk too much since I am still watching, but she is uber-talented to pull off the multiple roles so well. 

Felix from Orphan Black is probably one of my favorite characters on television.  Funny scenes.

Without giving anything away, I'm not sure about some of the storylines on the show, and it's a bit too campy for my taste. I'm still interested in seeing where the second season will go.

I think they should lean into the comedy a bit more in season 2. For one thing, the comedy helps the camp factor go down easier because it lets you know the show is in on it. For another, the show was unexpectedly legitimately funny when it wanted to be. Even Vic became a tolerable character once he became a joke and you knew he was liable to get his ass kicked any time he showed up.

When Paul catches Felix following him in the club, and Fe deadpans, "I thought you wanted a blowjob," I died.

This is obviously what the writers wanted but it took me a bit to embrace the Sarah character.  She's still not my favorite, but at least I don't think she's just a misunderstood, brat now.  The military boyfriend and the male cop are bland and sometimes grating though.

Felix and Alison scenes are fun.

Morbid curiosity led to me taking a look at the Cory Montieth memorial episode of Glee tonight. It was all very nice and all, but Lea Michelle crying her heart out and taking about her (presumably real) thoughts on things was just a bit too much for me. Really bordered on exploitative. Maybe she found it cathartic or something, but I have to wonder if sharing her grief with millions of people was the way to go here.  

Morbid curiosity led to me taking a look at the Cory Montieth memorial episode of Glee tonight. It was all very nice and all, but Lea Michelle crying her heart out and taking about her (presumably real) thoughts on things was just a bit too much for me. Really bordered on exploitative. Maybe she found it cathartic or something, but I have to wonder if sharing her grief with millions of people was the way to go here.  

That is strange, was going to post about tit last night watching out of morbid curiosity as well.  I only saw half of the episode, but there were some rough spots.  There was a moment or so where the lines between Finn and Corey were blurred and it was hard not to feel bad for them airing it out.  It felt weird to feel bad for them grieving over a fake character.  I think they shouldn't have done it though, at least not a whole episode.  A normal episode then something at the end would have been fine.  But doing a story for a whole episode is too much.

I haven't seen any of last season and won't again really except for this episode.  But man if they go back to normal that will be a little awkward.

I only now saw it but Charlie's fantasy on Always Sunny is one of my favorite TV moments ever.  There's something so sweet yet so pathetic watching a dream based off of Disney movies as if what happens in Disney films could be based on real life. 

I thought the same thing. It was so...Charlie.

Then they steal marshmallows and run out of the store instead of anything remotely related to what they daydreamed. Hilarious

CBS canned We Are Men

2 Broke Girls will move up to fill the gap and CBS will air Big Bang Theory reruns until Mike & Molly returns in Nov.

I saw the premiere episode.  It should have been on HBO where you could see Tony Shaloub doing lines of blow off of a college coed's ass, not watered-down neutered for network TV stuff.

On NBC, Parks & Recreation matched last week's 1.2. Welcome to the Family scored an anemic 0.8, down three tenths from last week's dismal 1.1 adults 18-49 rating . Sean Saves the World garnered a 1.0, down four tenths from last week's 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. The Michael J Fox Show notched a 1.2, down half a ratings point from last week's 1.7 adults 18-49 rating.  Parenthood garnered a series low 1.2, down three tenths from last week's series low 1.5 adults 18-49 rating .

NBC's new line up is DOA. They actually lost the night to the frigging CW. Ironside and Revolution have been doing terribly too.