DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

I can't believe we are still mentioning The Wire and Luther in the same posts.  Uggh.  Breaking Bad is close to The Wire, Luther isn't even in the ballpark. 

Anyone willing to put BB over The Wire?  A lot of critics are talking that way right now, and I fully expect the finale to be amazing, but I don't think I can do it just yet.  Hard to compare the two since one is a very confined story and the other is THE WIRE.

Season 5 is the worst season for sure, but I've come around on the fake serial killer story.  Still hate the newspaper stuff.  It's maybe the only show ever that didn't need to finish strong, though.  It's cyclical.  It's damn near impossible to explain the depth and reach of that show to someone who hasn't watched it.

I fully expect BB to stick the landing, but I'm not sure it will be enough for me.  Breaking Bad always finds a way to surprise me, though. 

I still have yet to watch The Wire and regard The Shield as the best TV show of all time. That said, Breaking Bad has all but won the best TV show title as long as the finale isn't complete shit. Last week's ending nearly solidified it for me. Just the way it ended was amazing.

• Like 1

Enjoyed SHEILD and the fact that it has a built in universe with a few characters you know helped it from feeling too much like " new show, new characters, absorb all this now". I find myself excited for the next one. Stuck around to watch the sitcoms after. They were not bad but anymore it's hard to invest in anything on network tv with how quick they are to pull something .

Have only watched the first 3 seasons of The Wire so far, but it's ahead of Breaking Bad for me. In The Wire, there are zero moments where the story takes a misstep or a character does something unexplainable. There are no plotholes. There have been a couple instances of that in Breaking Bad unfortunately...

Brock's poisoning and how it occurred still feels poorly written to me, and obviously, it still has time to play out, but I disliked the end of last week's episode. I found it hard to believe that Walt had given up on life, and on his family, but the mention of someone belittling him on TV was enough to make him return. I'm hoping as other people have said that his actual reason for returning was hearing that the blue meth is still going strong when he would've figured that the Aryans had given up once they stole his money.

Breaking Bad is still amazing. I just think The Wire doesn't have any of those types of moments where you're left questioning the mechanics of the plot. Again, haven't watched the final two seasons yet.

Does anyone on Earth actually have time to watch all the good shows everyone's talking about?  

I know it's a good problem to have: We're in the golden age of TV and every outlet is churning out something great TV, but still. I have to get around to watching Orange is the New Black, Luthor, Mad Men and House of Cards this year alone.

Maybe I'll get around to it in ten years when TV is crap again.

Does anyone on Earth actually have time to watch all the good shows everyone's talking about?  

I know it's a good problem to have: We're in the golden age of TV and every outlet is churning out something great TV, but still. I have to get around to watching Orange is the New Black, Luthor, Mad Men and House of Cards this year alone.

Maybe I'll get around to it in ten years when TV is crap again.

I always have a list in the back of my head of "shows I need to get around to watching one day". I've actually seen the four you mentioned, but I want to watch Sons of Anarchy, Justified, maybe The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, still making my way through The Wire, an Irish show called Love/Hate (I recently got the first 2 seasons on DVD), rewatch The West Wing, and I hear there have been some pretty interesting shows in Britain the last couple of years.