DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

It's not a cop show. It's a show about crime.

It's a cop show. It begins and ends with the police. Everything else is background and sub-plot. Major parts of it aren't even about crime. They're about  decaying institutions that are too big to fail, but too ham-strung by their need to make the numbers work to be effective in their roles. But the motor of the show is the police investigation of a criminal enterprise and the parts of The Wire that stray furthest from that are generally the least appreciated of the series. It's a cop show. And there is nothing wrong with that.

That is like saying Justified isn't a cop show, it's a show about messy relationships.

EXACTLY!  Justified is a show about Raylan Givens, and all of the fucked up relationships he has in his life: with Boyd, with Wynnona, with his father, with his job, etc.  While watching him deal with all of that tomfoolery, we see him do his job as a US Marshall. 

Luther is a show about John Luther, and all of the fucked up relationships that he has (although there are less, because there are less episodes).  With his exwife, with his job, with Alice... and meanwhile, we watch him do his job as a DCI. 

I'm not saying either Luther or Justified are better than the other - just that if you like one, you will probably enjoy the other. 

That is like saying Justified isn't a cop show, it's a show about messy relationships.

EXACTLY!  Justified is a show about Raylan Givens, and all of the fucked up relationships he has in his life: with Boyd, with Wynnona, with his father, with his job, etc.  While watching him deal with all of that tomfoolery, we see him do his job as a US Marshall. 

Luther is a show about John Luther, and all of the fucked up relationships that he has (although there are less, because there are less episodes).  With his exwife, with his job, with Alice... and meanwhile, we watch him do his job as a DCI. 

I'm not saying either Luther or Justified are better than the other - just that if you like one, you will probably enjoy the other. 

The difference is that Raylan's messy relationships are with people we actually care about.  Boyd, Winona, Eva, and Arlo are people with their own lives that are attached to Raylan, but have lives outside of Raylan.  Luther is a show about Luther and the people who do nothing but interact with Luther.  Without Alice the show really doesn't have another character worth watching, and the show suffers because it doesn't matter how good Elba's performance is it doesn't matter if he is the only character we care about.

It would be smashing if The Wire were on Netflix. My only options on watching it are through less than legal means, unfortunately.

Your local library doesnt have a dvd section?
Mine has a small one, no The Wire.

It would be smashing if The Wire were on Netflix.  My only options on watching it are through less than legal means, unfortunately.

Your local library doesnt have a dvd section?

Hell if I know.  I haven't been to the library since I wrote my high school history paper.

I've been doing a combination of watching loaned DVDs and downloading one season. Not gonna buy the DVDs, but that's because I'm waiting for the blu-ray to eventually show up. A definite buy for me.

On a similar note, I wish whoever owns The West Wing would get around to releasing that on blu-ray too.

I've been doing a combination of watching loaned DVDs and downloading one season. Not gonna buy the DVDs, but that's because I'm waiting for the blu-ray to eventually show up. A definite buy for me. On a similar note, I wish whoever owns The West Wing would get around to releasing that on blu-ray too.

Just get Netflix streaming and watch Jed Bartlett in glorious HD there :)